BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GT, and after last summers trips I would like to pull a trailer , any sugestions as to weight, hitches wiring etc. Thanks

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Many trailer options and ramp options.

I chose a used enclosed trailer small enough to pull easily. 4x8". I could use it to store a tool box, tires, gear and spare fuel without worrying about someone stealing it.

Here's a pic of the inside with the pit bull trailer restraint...

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
:rotf:

Nevermind then...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hum.....just saw one this summer, in the ditch, with a pretty mangled up Gold Wing still on the road, cops and tow truck still there but ambulance already gone.......! :( And that was on a straight stretch of road! :ricky

The " one wheel trailers" seem to be a better alternative......but :dunno:

Just as long as you don't carry a piece of Astroturf to put at the door of your "motorcycle tent trailer" like that guy I saw in Alaska.......! :D
:twocents:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pull one with my Wing a lot. I don't think I'd try it with the BMW. The 400 pounds of additional weight and major power band differences makes it easy with the Wing. I'd think the trailer would push the BMW around a lot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Uni-Go that I pulled with my 2004RT. It takes some getting used to but I put a few thousand on it. Traveling any distance two up made it a necessity and it really worked out well. I bought a toy hauler and now carry the bike on trips longer than a few days.

I never put a hitch on the GT so I can't say what the difference would be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wife's response

mohler said:
Yes, I have seen several pulling trailers.
So, I just showed my wife this picture and her reply was:

"Wow - that's wrong.....how are you supposed to go fast with that thing on there!?"

Gotta love that kind of answer!

Just wanted to share/gloat.

And yes, we do tour 2 up on our GT as much as we can.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
mjkuhno said:
So, I just showed my wife this picture and her reply was:

"Wow - that's wrong.....how are you supposed to go fast with that thing on there!?"

Gotta love that kind of answer!
Yeah, she sounds like a keeper. :)

My wife and I have lived off our LT for three weeks at a time, with only the stuff we were able to carry with us. There's a trick to learning what you need and what you don't, and how to pack it well. And with the 49L top case, the GT has even more storage than the LT did.

But if folks feel that they need a trailer for their own needs, the Uni-Go is hard to beat. I don't own a car, so I understand making do with what you have. There are a few specific times that I could've used the extra carrying capacity.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I swear to God that middle picture is classic. I just threw up in my mouth again....

:rotf:

B.

Meese said:
Yeah, she sounds like a keeper. :)

My wife and I have lived off our LT for three weeks at a time, with only the stuff we were able to carry with us. There's a trick to learning what you need and what you don't, and how to pack it well. And with the 49L top case, the GT has even more storage than the LT did.

But if folks feel that they need a trailer for their own needs, the Uni-Go is hard to beat. I don't own a car, so I understand making do with what you have. There are a few specific times that I could've used the extra carrying capacity.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Brahma said:
I swear to God that middle picture is classic.
Is that classic, or Clampett? :D

Actually, it was only like that for ~ 5 miles. Just long enough to get the old tires to a UPS store to send home, and to get the new tires scrubbed in a bit before my 8,000-mile-week. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have a trailer, but I camped next to a couple that had a Uni-Go at the Color in the Catskills rally. The couple was from Alabama and had been on the road since March. The towed the trailer all the way to Alaska, then back across the Trans-Canadian. The husband had retired the first of the year from the Alabama Department of Corrections and this trip was his unwind/decompression. He said that the only trouble they had with the trailer was a broken weld during the Alaska portion of the trip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Meese said:
I don't own a car, so I understand making do with what you have. There are a few specific times that I could've used the extra carrying capacity.

That travel trailer must be a [real] beast to pull behind a GT... Does anybody make a trailer brake controller for the bike? :teeth :p:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts