BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t want to title this “Hayabusa vs K1200S”, because as much as happily as the comparison is made, they are NOT the same bike.

That being said, I just rode a Hayabusa. I don’t know what to say. I can’t form an opinion of i. The engine revs really really fast, and has a carefree effortlessness to it. In certain ways is a lot smoother than the K1200S, but there is a constant vibration that’s transferred to the rider. Mine has a vibration due to some bearing in the clutch assembly, but outside of a specific rev range it transfers nothing. The Hayabusa sits way lower. I didn’t get the phrase “purpose built machine” until I sat on it. The wheelbase compared to the height is very very long.

But the power. On a rolling start from 70ish, the Hayabusa had maybe a bike length and a half on me, and that was basically it. I’m flabbergasted. This K1200S, NOT a purpose built machine, with a 10% power sucking differential, and the Hayabusa barely edged out. If the K were chain driven, I’m convinced it would be neck and neck.

But the power on the ‘Busa is different than the K1200S. I can’t put my finger on it. Less torquey, more power. But it does pull in all gears. It sets off with less occasion, but the stock hayabusa I rode also is the quietest bike I’ve ever ridden. The K1200S has a lot of intake noise, the Hayabusa has basically none. It’s silent. Different bikes.

Especially when it comes to handling. The hayabusa handles like dogshit. There is no compare. I’m not sure if the Hayabusa might be faster around corners, it’s low. It requires less lean to turn, but where the Hayabusa maneuvers like a jet ski, the K1200S dances like a fairy.

I get the appeal of the Hayabusa, but I would never trade it for my K1200S. When the guy I switched bikes with rode mine, the first words after we stopped were “That’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden”. I guess that sort of sums it up.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
I’m guessing this was a while back? Either that or you are a very fast wrench getting your new final drive installed. Thanks for the report! I think the Busa just looks so bulbous. Definitely not as attractive as the gentleman’s express!

·
Registered
256 Posts
My final two bikes when deciding what to buy were the hyabusa and the k12. I rode both and concur with your comments. The hyabusa is incredibly fast yet in top gear roll ons the k12 will out accelerate it in certain rev ranges. I look at the hyabusa now and am very glad I bought a k12. I had my daughter on the back of the hyabusa when I took it for a test ride, accelerating hard up a motorway on ramp when we got back to the dealer she said. ‘Dad I could hardly breathe and I nearly wet myself’:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m guessing this was a while back? Either that or you are a very fast wrench getting your new final drive installed. Thanks for the report! I think the Busa just looks so bulbous. Definitely not as attractive as the gentleman’s express!
This was just now. I got my final drive installed already

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
Nice review. Years back I ran into a guy who said if you ever nail the brakes on a K bike at speed (over 150) and a Hyabusa you will feel the smoothness of the K bike and is frame and suspension no drama. The Hyabusa shook like a wet dog. Well maybe not that much but was very unsettling the guy said. Not been there, I look but still love the big Kbikes .

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Hayabusa looks like it’s always angry and looking for a fight! as with the K1200S it’s looks just happy and enjoying life. Many years ago I was making the same choice which bike ZX14 or Busa or this K1200S that just came on the scene, well after riding all three and did pros and cons the K1200S won hands down, pannier option was a big factor, but in the end power and speed with comfort and grown man looks I’m happy with my choice all these years later.
BMW stuck the K1200s/K1300s in the touring K family‘s name! Big Mistake on there part imo, should have made a new category for this very unique super tourer that would have set it apart in a space just discovered by BMW that middle aged and older men wanted to ride fast with power too and not look like they just borrowed there sons superrocket!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought my K1200S based on 1) BMW, 2) looks, yes looks. I own a Ducati also and lets face it, Ducati has the looks. When my old legs got to were I couldn't ride the Ducati as much as I like to ride I started looking at BMW. I chose the K1200S because of looks first. Guys let face it, BMW makes some ugly shit. Some bikes look like birds, others like bugs, and who else but BMW would put two different headlight shapes on a sport bike? Anyway, I don't own any vehicle that is ugly ( I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but things just have to be attractive for me to buy them.
Yes I know, I'm shallow, but it's just the way I am. The K1200S has a decent looking front end and a symmetrical headlight, the side bodywork looks good and the tail section all nice compared to other models ( remember the one with the vertical stacked headlight🙁). The K1200S with all the power and smoothness is also just "pretty".

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
215 Posts
As AC Stock used to say about sailboats "we chose our wife based on looks, why should boats be any different"
And the same goes for bikes. Unless you turn to have a look at your bike when you walk away after parking it, you've chosen the wrong bike. (or have no soul).
I think you understand me. By the way, my wife is very beautiful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn’t want to title this “Hayabusa vs K1200S”, because as much as happily as the comparison is made, they are NOT the same bike.

That being said, I just rode a Hayabusa. I don’t know what to say. I can’t form an opinion of i. The engine revs really really fast, and has a carefree effortlessness to it. In certain ways is a lot smoother than the K1200S, but there is a constant vibration that’s transferred to the rider. Mine has a vibration due to some bearing in the clutch assembly, but outside of a specific rev range it transfers nothing. The Hayabusa sits way lower. I didn’t get the phrase “purpose built machine” until I sat on it. The wheelbase compared to the height is very very long.

But the power. On a rolling start from 70ish, the Hayabusa had maybe a bike length and a half on me, and that was basically it. I’m flabbergasted. This K1200S, NOT a purpose built machine, with a 10% power sucking differential, and the Hayabusa barely edged out. If the K were chain driven, I’m convinced it would be neck and neck.

But the power on the ‘Busa is different than the K1200S. I can’t put my finger on it. Less torquey, more power. But it does pull in all gears. It sets off with less occasion, but the stock hayabusa I rode also is the quietest bike I’ve ever ridden. The K1200S has a lot of intake noise, the Hayabusa has basically none. It’s silent. Different bikes.

Especially when it comes to handling. The hayabusa handles like dogshit. There is no compare. I’m not sure if the Hayabusa might be faster around corners, it’s low. It requires less lean to turn, but where the Hayabusa maneuvers like a jet ski, the K1200S dances like a fairy.

I get the appeal of the Hayabusa, but I would never trade it for my K1200S. When the guy I switched bikes with rode mine, the first words after we stopped were “That’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden”. I guess that sort of sums it up.
That's a great review...funny. Hyabusa was my bike of choice but in 2013 ( and I love the look of them), but they didn't have ABS so, went with a K1300s - no regrets. The tech has saved me a few times......

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some of bikes I have bought like a HD street glide vs Road glide thing… in the lnostalgic and looks department wanted a Street Glide but after test rides in 2009 and 2018 hands down the Road Glide was a much better bike ( chassis minted fairing ). The biggest reason so bought with function over looks.
I agree on the K 1200 S. I wanted one just thought it looked amazing, ten years later I bought one and it’s just one of those bikes with soul and character. It is a bit raw in some areas ( clutch ) and has a couple design flaws like the fuel sensor but I won’t give up on it……I have 8 bikes and I find myself sitting in my Man Cave just in ahw Over how beautiful she is. She is a looker people are always complimenting me on her.
The Hayabusa and ZX14 do nothing for me. Whether they’re faster or not doesn’t matter. They don’t talk to me. I have to be connected to that particular bike something down deep in me that I can’t really put into words. Lots of you know what I’m talking about
But I have a 1050 Tiger crappy suspension and Brakes to start with and looks like a pray-mantis in front but I love it the looks and the triple especially Most might disagree.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts

You haven't the experience to ride a Hayabusa and say it "handles like dogshit".
Road tests are done by professional riders. I challenge you to find ONE that agrees.

I rode 3 brands of 1000cc sport bike at 2 dealerships and they all handled better than my BMW K1200S. I love riding the 1200S and my riding style for this bike is long and low. .

TThe K1200 is better and why I picked it over the Hayabusa in only 2 areas
It's a good Looks and was designed to carry Luggage:
1)
More women have said my K1200S "looks beautiful" or "nice bike" than any bike I've had in 50 years including Suzuki 1100 and 1200s
The Hayabusa is the ugliest bike since my 1965 Honda Dream.
2)
The K1200S is a Touring / Sport bike. The Hayabusa is a giant Sport bike.
It's time for my Bucket List ride and I picked the 1200 S for looks and primarily for the factory saddlebags. A pure sportbike would suit my everyday riding but it's easier to make a touring bike go faster than turn a sport bike a touring one.
I'm still need a top case. 2 nelson rigg tail bags used as top cases broke and fell off.
A nice Givi Top case broke the rack. It's too wide with the bags expanded.

Love it can reach 130 mph before cars suddenly appeear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You haven't the experience to ride a Hayabusa and say it "handles like dogshit".
Road tests are done by professional riders. I challenge you to find ONE that agrees.

I rode 3 brands of 1000cc sport bike at 2 dealerships and they all handled better than my BMW K1200S. I love riding the 1200S and my riding style for this bike is long and low. .

TThe K1200 is better and why I picked it over the Hayabusa in only 2 areas
It's a good Looks and was designed to carry Luggage:
1)
More women have said my K1200S "looks beautiful" or "nice bike" than any bike I've had in 50 years including Suzuki 1100 and 1200s
The Hayabusa is the ugliest bike since my 1965 Honda Dream.
2)
The K1200S is a Touring / Sport bike. The Hayabusa is a giant Sport bike.
It's time for my Bucket List ride and I picked the 1200 S for looks and primarily for the factory saddlebags. A pure sportbike would suit my everyday riding but it's easier to make a touring bike go faster than turn a sport bike a touring one.
I'm still need a top case. 2 nelson rigg tail bags used as top cases broke and fell off.
A nice Givi Top case broke the rack. It's too wide with the bags expanded.

Love it can reach 130 mph before cars suddenly appeear.
I finalized my Shift Kit Upgrade and can now say I'm comfortable with the clutch shift process for the first time.
You ju7sty replaced the transmission. Others have cll0utch problems.
I never had a clutch or trans problem with decades of Suzukis and was disappointed the first moment I rode the BMW. GSXR transmissions are better by far.
What I don't miss is the numerous Chains that I broke or stretched too far.

The BMW shaft drive I always envied.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can’t know how I ride, but discussions on who rides faster/better are pointless and dangerous.

Either way, I didn’t specify the type of riding I was doing. I could take it up to the limit, and potentially it’s better there, but for 10-20mph under that limit it, compared to the K1200S, it handles like dogshit. The wheelbase is too long, and it itself is too short. The K1200S dances like a fairy, the Hayabusa is more like a dull carving knife.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not getting into a pissing contest for the last word.
It's your language "shit" that I find insulting and repeating that doesn't make it right.

As in the "Big Lebowski" "thats your opinion"
A 'busa isn't for me but don't insult the great number of followers for a fine motorcycle.

Quit defending the K1200.
Its a fine bike with many flaws.

I ran out of gas twice this week.
Why isn't there a petcock for a reserve tank?
Why isn't there a better solution than each person figuring out how to incorporate K1300 parts?

Your previous post question of how not to get a warning for a bad strip is a good one.
The BMW computer is the woman that constantly reminds you of every mistake you ever made ans isn't in the here and now.

I need registration money. Why buy a diagnostic tool and isn't that an oxy moron,
\My diagnosis was: I can't see and no one can see me.That was an easy fix.
Why can't it tell time? or what the shock settings are? or I'm low on gas? or let me know if the brakes work BEFORE I drive off?"

This bike isn't safe. Is it flat where you live?
It's scary the number of times I have no brakes when I leave a downhill drive.

A bike is to "enjoy the journey" not "I hope the brakes work when I leave and I don't run out of gas before I get back." This bike is do disapointing but I don't complain in public,

To use your venacular:
The BMW K1200S is "a piece of shit"

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not getting into a pissing contest for the last word.
It's your language "shit" that I find insulting and repeating that doesn't make it right.

As in the "Big Lebowski" "thats your opinion"
A 'busa isn't for me but don't insult the great number of followers for a fine motorcycle.

Quit defending the K1200.
Its a fine bike with many flaws.

I ran out of gas twice this week.
Why isn't there a petcock for a reserve tank?
Why isn't there a better solution than each person figuring out how to incorporate K1300 parts?

Your previous post question of how not to get a warning for a bad strip is a good one.
The BMW computer is the woman that constantly reminds you of every mistake you ever made ans isn't in the here and now.

I need registration money. Why buy a diagnostic tool and isn't that an oxy moron,
\My diagnosis was: I can't see and no one can see me.That was an easy fix.
Why can't it tell time? or what the shock settings are? or I'm low on gas? or let me know if the brakes work BEFORE I drive off?"

This bike isn't safe. Is it flat where you live?
It's scary the number of times I have no brakes when I leave a downhill drive.

A bike is to "enjoy the journey" not "I hope the brakes work when I leave and I don't run out of gas before I get back." This bike is do disapointing but I don't complain in public,

To use your venacular:
The BMW K1200S is "a piece of shit"
Why do you think i’m defending the K1200S? It is a piece of shit, at least the 2005 model is. Between the Clutch that fries itself, the transmission that destroys itself, the final drive that turns its bearing into powder, the asinine 9-bleed screw brake fluid flush procedure, BMW somehow screwing up something as simple and old as a fuel gauge, the fact that it eats tires like candies, and the countless other ridiculous and hubris-inspired engineering decisions, I agree, the K1200S is a piece of shit.

But, when it is good, it is unbelievably, awe-inspiringly good.

That’s not the point of any of what I said though. I got to ride a Hayabusa and wanted to share my opinion of it. The K1200S and Hayabusa are not the same bike, and the comparisons between the two (“The K1200S is just the German Hayabusa”) is misguided. That’s all I meant to say. The guy who has his ‘Busa loves his ‘Busa, and I love my K1200S despite its ridiculous and insane flaws.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts