BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had a headlight failure. Two weeks ago I noticed that my low beam bulb wasn't lighting, so I replaced it. Still didn't work! Weirder still, there's no headlamp failure indicator showing up on the instrument panel.

I called the dealership and the service guy says it's probably a bum headlight assembly. Is this a known issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops...figured it out

Ummm, first I have to just cough up the fact that I'm an idiot. It seems that it was my brain, not my headlight, was malfunctioning.

But to my credit, tonight was the first time I've ridden the bike at night since discovering the "malfunction." I learned tonight that the main low-beam bulb doesn't light until you actually fire the bike up, not just turn the key on. It works just fine. Explains the lack of a warning indicator on the instrument panel, too.

I knew it would eventually happen. My motorcycle is officially smarter than me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Many Thanks

You have served the community well.

First, a potential manufacturing problem/failure was brought to our attention without hysterics or drama. Then, the clarity and follow-on was provided in a timely way.

I share a rueful smile with you and appreciate the quick resolution of the 'problem'. Saves me from the same brain/machine interface mismatch.

Mike Cam

·
Registered
13 Posts
After picking up the KR, and only 2 blocks from the dealer (Ozzies BMW Center, Chico, CA...without a doubt one of the best!!) I noticed the dreaded "yellow triangle" and experienced a moment of panic! Quickly pulling a U-turn and returning, Mike the Mechanic pointed out the "LampR" indication on the speedo face :rolleyes:
A quick diagnosis: The stop lamp had NOT failed, but it WOULD within 100 miles! These magnificant machines are indeed smarter than the rider! Replaced the lamp and 2K miles later no problems...no surging, no wandering, no brake squeal...NADA. I love this bike!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bedlamdoc,
My R1200GS did the exact same thing to me. I laughed about it for a few days. The way you dealt with this issue was cool. Now go drink a beer and reward yourself. Peace.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ncalK12R said:
A quick diagnosis: The stop lamp had NOT failed, but it WOULD within 100 miles! These magnificant machines are indeed smarter than the rider! Replaced the lamp and 2K miles later no problems...
Explain to me how your bike got a "brake light lamp defective" indicator light -when the lamp hasnt failed yet

-I believe there is an element or multi-element bulb that had failed that you did not see, the computer likely sees this as a change in resistance in the canbus in that area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chip:
Don't know how the warning came to be :confused: ...like I said, the bike is smarter than me..and I'm merely relating what the mechanic stated. As I posted, the warning was "LampR", yet both tail light and brake light were functional. I'm not an EE, just a very satisfied KR owner! :bmw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts