BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could vector me in to where the headlight relay is located, I would greatly appreciate it.

FLOG :rolleyes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you think you have a problem with the headlight relay you are wrong. That's because
it does not have a headilght relay. It could use one though, I have added 2.

Now say ahhh and tell us what the problem is.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is when I turn my key to the off position or the lock position, sometimes the lights stay on. Sometimes they go off like they are supposed to. If I don't look carefully, they stay on and I come back to a flat battery.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sounds to me like your ignition switch.

A heavy spray of contact cleaner might be a place to start (though a new swich is more likele the answer).

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think the issue is that you are accidentally engaging the parking light.
AKA the automatic battery drainer. It's a "feature"

The parking light is one click past the handlebar lock position IIRC.
So, when locking the forks make sure you are pulling out on the
key as you turn the bars, as soon as it locks it will pull out. THEN
make sure the lights are off :)

While I've never left the P lights on, 2 or 3 times i've hit
the emergency flashers before turning the key off and then be
told in the restaurant my lights are flashing.

Hth!

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eric2 said:
I think the issue is that you are accidentally engaging the parking light.
AKA the automatic battery drainer. It's a "feature"

The parking light is one click past the handlebar lock position IIRC.
So, when locking the forks make sure you are pulling out on the
key as you turn the bars, as soon as it locks it will pull out. THEN
make sure the lights are off :)

While I've never left the P lights on, 2 or 3 times i've hit
the emergency flashers before turning the key off and then be
told in the restaurant my lights are flashing.

Hth!
Umm....yeah, not really. If you read my description of the problem, you'd be able to tell this is not an oversight of placing the key in the wrong position. I don't actually lock the forks very often. The way I knew I had a problem was when I put the key in the off position, the highbeam indicator stays on. This light will drain the battery in about 10 minutes vs the parking light. I think it must be the switch. Now I just need to find the time to get in there and check it out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Know what you mean...

I had to change out my ignition switch on my K100RS and while doing that installed relays to run the lights....there is a wiring schematic at IBMWR site. It was easy to follow and I'll probably do it on my GT this winter. Keep us posted on what you find.....it will probably be a new bird flu that affects BMW electrics.....:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
FLOG I said:
Umm....yeah, not really. If you read my description of the problem, you'd be able to tell this is not an oversight of placing the key in the wrong position. I don't actually lock the forks very often. The way I knew I had a problem was when I put the key in the off position, the highbeam indicator stays on. This light will drain the battery in about 10 minutes vs the parking light. I think it must be the switch. Now I just need to find the time to get in there and check it out.
If the load shed relay is "stuck" on, ie, the contacts tack weld themselves together, then the headlight will stay on. So maybe you have to go after that relay as you first asked about. This relay provides power to the head lights directly from the battery, but thru the hi/lo/flasher switch. So it does not relieve the light switch of it's amperage load. The relay is in the relay box next to the computer and the air box/filter all of which is under the gas tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts