BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the HeliBar adaptor and the Verholen rider peg lowering kit today. Both appear to be high quality, installed fairly easily and function as advertised.

I must say - for me - the combination is a vast improvement in how I integrate with the bike. Yes, the peg lowering does offset the pegs and the foot brake is a little awkward, but the overall change is worth it - to me - YMMV. :D

I'm wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best way to adjust the shift lever to accommodate the lower peg position... I see the turnbuckle, but wondered if the spline on the upper attachment at the trans end needs to be repositioned also to maintain the geometry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All I needed to do was loosen the top and bottom lock nuts on the shift linkage, then turn the linkage- you will be surprised at how easy this operation is. You will need to peel over the rubber boot at top and bottom lock nuts to expose the fixed nut that you grip when loosening the lock nuts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ChrisOlson said:
Installed the HeliBar adaptor and the Verholen rider peg lowering kit today. Both appear to be high quality, installed fairly easily and function as advertised.

I must say - for me - the combination is a vast improvement in how I integrate with the bike. Yes, the peg lowering does offset the pegs and the foot brake is a little awkward, but the overall change is worth it - to me - YMMV. :D

I'm wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best way to adjust the shift lever to accommodate the lower peg position... I see the turnbuckle, but wondered if the spline on the upper attachment at the trans end needs to be repositioned also to maintain the geometry.
Chris,

Glad to hear you like the HeliBar and peg lowering. Just received those products today for my soon to be mine GT.

One thing though - you mention the brake being awkward. I was under the impression that this could be adjusted too - much like the shift linkage.

Is this not the case?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brake pedal not adjustable. I fabricated my own lowering gizmo (it looks ugly, but does the job)- just a piece of metal I bent to shape and bolted to existing pedal. I am hoping someone like Suburban Machinery or Verholen come out with a solution to this.
Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
mcwaldeck said:
Brake pedal not adjustable. I fabricated my own lowering gizmo (it looks ugly, but does the job)- just a piece of metal I bent to shape and bolted to existing pedal. I am hoping someone like Suburban Machinery or Verholen come out with a solution to this.
Mike
Lower or wider?

While browsing Verholen's site before I saw a widening kit (URL below) for the old GT, but nothing for 06+ that I've found so far.

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,30637,e,1158029723-30795,001.0016,10112,,Tshowrub--001.0016,.htm

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I just rode with the Heli-Bars this past weekend. What a pleasant ride and no neck pain! Steering seems to be quicker for some reason. Ended up catching up to a FJR1300 and tailing him for 15 miles or so in the mountians. He finally gave up and dived off the road upon a brim.

Didn't feel I needed the lowering kit for the pegs since the Mayer seat raised me up maybe an inch or so.

Heli-Bars are very much worth it! :ricky

·
Registered
30 Posts
I needed the brake pedal lowered with the peg lowering kit. Some have noted that they got used to the brake pedal with no adjustment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mjkuhno said:
One thing though - you mention the brake being awkward. I was under the impression that this could be adjusted too - much like the shift linkage. Is this not the case?
As noted, its not adjustable. After a few days of riding, I've adapted to the brake position...and with the addition of the Pirate's shift lever extender which is not only longer but wider, its almost possible to leave everything alone - almost... :D

However, as usual when you mod things, one change cascades to another. The shift lever extension and the peg being lower now make it reeeeeeally dificult to get your foot into position to extend the side stand fully down. Time to fabricate an extension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts