BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have 3 helmets, a Davida Lunar (size XL), a Scorpion (size XL), and a HJC (size L). The first two- after riding about an hour- start to press on the center of my forehead right under my hairline, and that's irritating enough. But after 2 hours, I want to rip the helmet off and toss it. And I hate to revert to the $75 HJC and leave two expensive helmets on the shelf.

Okay, so maybe I have a big melon. And there is no way that test-riding any helmet is going to tell me if the same thing will happen with any other helmet- it was months before the Lunar started bothering me.

I quit the Scorpion because it has a seam that runs vertically in the front center, which I thought was the culprit. Tried a bit of padding, but short of gluing it in, that wont stay in place and is just annoying.

Anyone else solved this problem? I'd like to find small gel inserts to place above my eyes, to alleviate this pressure. But I am open to some suggestions before I give up helmets altogether and just wear a baseball cap backwards.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'd suggest that you try on some different brand helmets. It sounds to me that you have a long oval shaped head in that cause an Arai Profile should fit well. Arai is the only manufacturer that makes three different shaped helmets to fit different shaped heads. Read about it at http://www.araiamericas.com/Sizing.html#

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with ERIK. I have an oval shape head and the Scorpion is a pain in my forehead. I currently wear an Arai Signet GTR which does well. The Profile is the model replacement for the Signet in Arai's line. I also find the Shoei X-11 to be a good fit. Just this past week I was in a local shop and found a Shark RSI and RSX helmet in stock. THE RSI did a good job of fitting my oval head, but the RSX was not as good. The point is, you've probably got the wrong shaped helmet for your head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another egghead here - try an Arai. I had a lot of uncomfortable helmets over the years with the same problem as you are having. I'd buy an XL and have it wobble on my head to try to relieve the pressure. The Long Oval Profile is the best helmet I have ever owned. I sometimes forget to take it off :ricky

·
Registered
447 Posts
Shoei also works well for oval heads like us - rounder-shaped helmets are just a pain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys- anyone wanna good deal on a slightly used pair of bashcaps?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Take all the liners out and see how it fits your head with out padding. It may only take scraping a little of the foam, less than a 1/4" to make it comfy.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
helmet adjustment

actually I use a spoon and mash some of the front styrofoam down a little to adjust the fit, you can work the spoon with your thumb and gain a little at a time untill its comfortable. Works for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
bostewart said:
Currently I have 3 helmets, a Davida Lunar (size XL), a Scorpion (size XL), and a HJC (size L). The first two- after riding about an hour- start to press on the center of my forehead right under my hairline, and that's irritating enough. But after 2 hours, I want to rip the helmet off and toss it. And I hate to revert to the $75 HJC and leave two expensive helmets on the shelf.

Okay, so maybe I have a big melon. And there is no way that test-riding any helmet is going to tell me if the same thing will happen with any other helmet- it was months before the Lunar started bothering me.

I quit the Scorpion because it has a seam that runs vertically in the front center, which I thought was the culprit. Tried a bit of padding, but short of gluing it in, that wont stay in place and is just annoying.

Anyone else solved this problem? I'd like to find small gel inserts to place above my eyes, to alleviate this pressure. But I am open to some suggestions before I giveour hel up helmets altogether and just wear a baseball cap backwards.
Mayby your helmets are too big ? - I had the same problem with a shark helmet and went down a size. This moved/spreaded the pressure and it felt like a completely other helmet.

/Michael

·
Registered
72 Posts
So the amount you pay for the helmet is more important than how it fits huh??? :wtf

One of the best helmets tested is the 3/4 helmet from Pep Boys,,,$79.00 I think and top rated..... The HJC is a fine helmet with a good reputation...Wear the one that fits best, it only has to save you in one accident and you will have to buy a new one anyway ;) ..........Regards Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good point Pete.
I'll be getting one of those Arais next , I've had that forehead pressure on my HJC.
The sanding it down along the edge of the hard foam worked beautifully, though I'm sure a major safety violation ! :D Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts