BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 GT has 56,000 km on it. Ran fine, just had an oil change at BMW in Munich of all places. Service is current.

1000 cold and wet km later I am in St Malo FR. Bike started fine his am but as leaving hotel ran rough. As I had just bought gas, I suspected bad fuel.

Long story short, it seems 1 cylinder is kicking in and out. Gas seems not the issue (drained and replaced without any effect).

I have read about a bad coil, but suspect I cannot replace one without draining the rad. This is possible, but refilling without a vacuum pump is not an option.

Any other possible causes?

While I cannot pull the coils without draining the rad, can I access the plugs which connect to the coils with my hand? A wiggle and tug might help diagnose things.

Thanks to all.

Ps, I need to get back from here to Milan. Will 1000 km on a 3 cylinder slant 4 hurt it? It starts just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got lucky, got a referral to a non BMW shop (from the local BMW shop, no less).

4 new plugs plus 4 new coils = fixed k1200gt. Not cheap, but not having to find your way from rural northern France to your flight leaving Milan without your bike = priceless.

Now that I have fixed the cracked rear hub flange, enjoyed the failing brake servo motor, the sticky airbox valve, coil/plug failure, a squealing clutch, agricultural shifting, a new cam chain tensioner and a replacement seat, what else can go wrong?

Next big service will involve the final 2 recalls, for the fuel pump and the front brake lines. By then I will have 65,000 km on it and may want a new s1000xr anyways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Johnmh said:
Now that I have fixed the cracked rear hub flange, enjoyed the failing brake servo motor, the sticky airbox valve, coil/plug failure, a squealing clutch, agricultural shifting, a new cam chain tensioner and a replacement seat, what else can go wrong?

:hysterica

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I forgot. A broken centre stand and a bent front rim courtesy of a pothole in Corsica.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts