BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so. . . I had the dealer put on Staintune and Evo Race Airflow system today, during the 600-mile service on my '06 KS. When I got the bike back, it sounded great, but felt boggy--particularly in the mid-range--and it didn't seem to take off over 7K rpm the way I was expecting.

Before leaving the dealership, I had specifically asked the tech whether he pulled the leads off the battery after seeing something somewhere about needing to reset the ECU after adding pipes and air filters. The tech told me that the ECU automatically adjusts to whatever fuel/air/exhaust setup is on the bike, and does not require a hard reset via unplugging the battery.

What is the common wisdom on this situation? Should I go ahead and pulled the battery leads? If so, for how long?

Thanks in advance for any input; I am really stressed after the disappointing 30-mile ride home tonight :-(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evo's PDF manual doesn't say anything about hard-resetting the ECU.

Will definitely email them, but hoping to get an answer before I hop on bike to go to work tomorrow, a.m.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erik,

Thanks for the input. Does the "re-learning" process require any special riding behavior?

Duncan

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just ride it like you stole it....at least that's what I did with mine.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Erik said:
I would reset the ecu.. Also it will take about 50-100 miles for the bike to re-learn itself.
I did this when I did my exhaust and it made a noticeable difference. It WAS a full system though. Can't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who responded.

I disconnected the battery over night, then reconnected and twisted throttle open 3 times after turning on ignition.

And. . .

. . .immediately noticeable improvement. No hesitation or bogging through mid-range. I haven't opened it up beyond 6K rpm yet, but am assuming that improvement will be seen there as well.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting... I replaced the garbage can with a Remus Powercone and noticed a bad flat spot on low RPM. I had read not to worry about computer reset. However, after reading your message I can't wait to try. What's up with the three throttle rotation? Sounds like changing my oil in my Avalanche!

·
Registered
324 Posts
bbqshrimp said:
... What's up with the three throttle rotation? ...
this resets the throttle position sensor (so the ecu knows where closed and w.o.t. is). the t.p.s. has a signifigant affect on how the bike runs, mainly at smaller throttle settings. even off by a couple degrees will have a major impact. just do this every time the battery has been disconnected.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Ken,

Installed the filters this evening. I am not one to read directions, however after a few beers I got frustrated and looked at the enclosed paperwork. Low res images led me to Pirates site where I had researched before buying the filters from him. With my Color Laser print in hand I read all instructions, and behold! DO NOT REUSE THE STOCK AIR PIPE!!! ha ha ha!!! Needless to say, the job is complete.

Sidenote: I was not too impressed with one of the filters with the Silicone Mold excess hanging off in the INSIDE of the filter cartridge. I plucked off the pieces hanging and hope none fly off and into my intake. Don't know the CFM in that chamber, but I assume alot!!!

thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
TPS Reset

I was wondering with the TPS reset does it only work after the battery is disconected? Also can you just turn the ignition off after the throttle twists or can you start the bike right after with the ignition still on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
evoluzione said:
as i said above - any time the battery is disconnected, reset the t.p.s..
I understand that. I just remember reading somewhere how someone only twisted the throttle only half way fooling the tps thinking that half ways was full throttle. I just mean turn it fully till it stops.

·
Registered
324 Posts
the t.p.s. reset procedure is:

1. turn key and run switch to "on" (do not start bike).
2. waiting for dash to complete diagnostics.
3. turn throttle from fully closed to fully open to fully closed three times.
4. turn off key.

now you may start the bike. you may do this procedure any time you want but must do it any time the battery has been disconnected.

as to trying to fool the ecu with partial turns, i've not tried it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bbqshrimp said:
Hey Ken,

Installed the filters this evening. I am not one to read directions, however after a few beers I got frustrated and looked at the enclosed paperwork. Low res images led me to Pirates site where I had researched before buying the filters from him. With my Color Laser print in hand I read all instructions, and behold! DO NOT REUSE THE STOCK AIR PIPE!!! ha ha ha!!! Needless to say, the job is complete.
we also post all of our instructions on our web site.

Sidenote: I was not too impressed with one of the filters with the Silicone Mold excess hanging off in the INSIDE of the filter cartridge. I plucked off the pieces hanging and hope none fly off and into my intake. Don't know the CFM in that chamber, but I assume alot!!!

thanks
i will have to talk to both the manufacturing folks and packaging - this should have been caught long before you received the filter - sorry about that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ken,

The right answer would have been "Manny, I will send you another filter with a return box for the defective filter".

Not oh well.. :boom:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts