BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.....I need to know if the large bearing that mounts on the final drive ring gear is a completely separate bearing with an inner and outer race or does the integral shaft of the ring gear act as the inner race bearing surface? I caught my final drive failure early so I'm thinking that it may be rebuildable. What have you guys with final drive problems and no warranty done to get your bikes fixed?

Thanks.

John 06 KGT

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
It is a separate bearing, part # 33 11 7 720 235. These bearings are usually a tight press fit. A useful trick is to heat the bearing slightly (to make it marginally larger) and cool the crown gear (to make it marginally smaller) then the bearing just slips right into place. The bearing can be heated in an oven set very low (under 150°) and the crown gear can be placed in the freezer for a little while.

John06KGT said:
What have you guys with final drive problems and no warranty done to get your bikes fixed?
Bitched at BMW until they covered the repair. Seriously.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Meese said:
Bitched at BMW until they covered the repair. Seriously.
Yeah...that worked soooo good for me.... :banghead: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken,

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks

Robert,

It's either time for a group hug or maybe an intervention. :teeth

John

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Or in BMWNA's case a circle jerk..... :p:

Actually my bike is running pretty good at the moment. If it just allows me to get a couple of good road trips in this fall I'll be a very happy camper! :clap: Just sad that I have to think of my bikes longevity in terms of one riding season. :(

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robert, my wife and I had a serious discussion about cutting our loses and your name and the problems you've had came up often. But we came to the same conclusion as you have and the KGT is by far the best motorcycle we've ever owned so we're going to fix it and continue to enjoy the ride. I'm glad you hung in there!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts