BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solved.... Thanks for the help... Full Throttle Idle without touching throttle 87K100

I just finished putting an 87k100 back together after sitting for two years after a couple of deployments and a drop from a semi trailer. Everything seems fine except when I start it, it immediately goes full throttle. I disconnected the choke thinking that could be the problem, obviously not or I wouldn't be writing. The throttle cable is properly adjusted so that it should be at idle when released (butterflies appear to close fully).

I did not do a disassembly of the engine when it was in pieces as it had just had its 10k service at the local BMW place and was deemed perfect condition, and the engine ran great after the fall from the truck. The wiring harness was removed and all connections cleaned (and hopefully put back correctly, labled everything that I saw that was connected/never connected, there were a couple of connectors that don't seem to have ever been connected with anything...). Most of the work was just replacing hoses, lube, paint/powdercoat, brakes and fluids.

Please help. I'm stuck at this point and it is the only thing holding me back from taking this pristine piece of equipment on the road again.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
M_T_A said:
I just finished putting an 87k100 back together after sitting for two years after a couple of deployments and a drop from a semi trailer. Everything seems fine except when I start it, it immediately goes full throttle. I disconnected the choke thinking that could be the problem, obviously not or I wouldn't be writing. The throttle cable is properly adjusted so that it should be at idle when released (butterflies appear to close fully).

I did not do a disassembly of the engine when it was in pieces as it had just had its 10k service at the local BMW place and was deemed perfect condition, and the engine ran great after the fall from the truck. The wiring harness was removed and all connections cleaned (and hopefully put back correctly, labled everything that I saw that was connected/never connected, there were a couple of connectors that don't seem to have ever been connected with anything...). Most of the work was just replacing hoses, lube, paint/powdercoat, brakes and fluids.

Please help. I'm stuck at this point and it is the only thing holding me back from taking this pristine piece of equipment on the road again.
Just guessing as it's hard to diagnose stuff on the Internet but perhaps your fuel injectors are stuck open. What are the wire colors of the connectors that don't seem to have ewer been connected?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just wondering if it is the throttle position switch and at the very least it won't hurt to disconnect it and give it a try.
It should not be be the "choke" or fast idle as it does not have that much effect on the idle speed.
Amazing problem as so many people have the opposite problem with absolutely no start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While reassembling everything, a loose nut had become lodged under the one of the set screws that run to the valve of the throttle bodies. When I reinstalled all of the handlebar controls and hooked up the throttle I noticed it and removed it, however the slack that it had given the throttle cable, caused the cable to jump its guide track and caused the cable to not retract fully, leaving the throttle open. Placed the cable back in the guide on the throttle body, started it up, and it purrs now.

What a great little engine that it started on the first crank after sitting for two years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad the mystery is solved and looks like we could do with some pics of the restoration or finished product. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, didn't really document the event. This wasn't a project I undertook because I wanted to. Had the movers not dropped the bike it probably would have stayed it's beautiful two-tone self. Once the fairings get put on and I finish rebuilding the instrument display with parts from a scavenged one I'll get them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts