BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

OK, I've tried the search function, and I'm sure I'm pretty dense, but.....

I'm waiting for the delivery of my new Heli-Bar 'riser' / 'spacer', so I thought in preparation I would remove the handlebars. I took off the black plastic cover behind the bars, and backed off the two adjustment bolts. I have backed them off to where they are either stopped, or stuck. I could easily adjust the bars up or down at this point, but I'm assuming I'll have to remove the bars completely to install the Heli-Bar spacer. Before I do something incredibly stupid, am I (a) doing something wrong, or (b) is there a trick to getting the bars off? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have just completed a 06 K1200GT Heli bar adapter install. Yes you do need to remove the nuts from the bolts on the handle bars. The instructions that they send are easy to follow.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I tried to find the post that gave the details on how to remove the bars . . . there's a detailed one somewhere, either here, I-BMW, or the KLT site. I did all of the searches to no avail. I only tell you this in that ONE DOES EXIST. Others have done it.

I am interested in what your are trying to accomplish or is this solving some problem. Specifically, should I be interested in what you are doing.

BTW, the Sargent custom seat is excellent.

Regards,
John

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
You can back those cap nuts all the way off. They are just cap nuts with a little loctite.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

John:

I was trying to rmove the bars completely so I could install a Heli-Bar adaptor (riser), that brings the bars higher and further back. ElJeffe is correct, the safety nuts simply back off when you apply the correct amount of pressure on them

I installed the adaptor last night. Took about 30 minutes, looks great, and my short test ride indicates that the seating position is now even better, at least for me.... YMMV.

No cable changes necessary.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just finished the install of the adapter.
WOW!
What a nicely made piece if gear. very well made.

I do have a few problems tho'.
How do you adjust the "clutch" cable to keep from hitting the bottom of the lower portion of the bars ???

Same for the brake side. The cables bind in the extreme posistions ???
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts