BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'll remove the short RS screen from the GT this weekend and put on the standard taller screen. I know this should be an easy job but for the life of me I can't see how the pins holding the screen in place come out (and they look awkward to get at). How do you pop them out...with a screwdriver...what type? I don't want to break anything. Thx in advance.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
pin removal

I use a small allen wrench its easy to control. Just push the pins towards the bigger side of the inserted piece.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The first time I did mine I searched through my box of small 3/8 sockets to find one that just squeezes the plastic pegs to push them part way through. Then I use the end of a 3/8 extension bar to pop them out.

Make sure when you put the plastic pegs back, you fit them from the inside to out so you can get to the squeezey bit a lot easier. Don't know if this is BMW correct, but it makes the job easier next time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Windshield

From my experience there are at least two types of the "pegs" that hold the windshield to the supporting bracket. I think the "older" type has the end of the peg essentially split by four slots which allow the end of the peg to be compressed (by pressing on this end with a small socket for example) until the peg will slip out of its hole. Be careful not to drop the bushing. The "newer" type "peg" has a center pin (lack a better term) of the same black plastic material. This peg is removed by pressing the pin toward the larger end of the peg with a tool such as a small phillips screwdriver. Again don't drop the bushing. Hope this helps, my technical writing is not at its best.
Gerry

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pin removal

My '03 RS has the 4 slots. I use a small flat screwdriver. I lay the flat side of the screwdriver down on two of the prongs and push them in towards the center. I use the comfort shield in winter and the sport shield in summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use a pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze the pins, works for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a small allen wrench (short end) and a pair of water pump pliers, wrap masking tape around jaws , then hold the allen wrench with one hand and simply press the pin out but not all the way then needle nose out. I have had my screen on and off many times and this seems to be the best way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One more windscreen replacement question

I know this is a months-old thread, but I have a related question about windscreen replacement. I've never replaced the screen before -- Is there any problem reusing the pin and bushings from the windscreen? I'm buying a comfort screen, and I'd like to know what to expect from swapping it back and forth with the OEM screen from time to time.

Thanks,
-Lane

·
Registered
589 Posts
No problem reusing the pins and bushings. Use care that you don't lose one when changing out the screen. Won't hurt to buy a few spares, they tend to fall into the most remote recesses of the bike or the garage.........

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Bobmws said:
No problem reusing the pins and bushings. Use care that you don't lose one when changing out the screen. Won't hurt to buy a few spares, they tend to fall into the most remote recesses of the bike or the garage.........
True...so true.
I think they're programmed by BMW to fall into the hardest, most remote location they can fall into without falling on the ground...usually a dark area such that it needs an intense light source to be spotted. Otherwise, they will rest on the bike until you are at a busy intersection, then magically fall to the ground when the light turns green.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
I vote for the 6mm socket. It works like a factory tool.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
When you get ready to change out your windscreen. Put some masking tape over the windscreen support pillars before you start working. They scratch very easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts