BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

help on recomendation

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  rfespinosa 
#1 ·
A friend has learned on Triumph Bonneville; then riding Triumph Trophy 1200, and now ready to change again: and asking re a recent K1200GT (like mine!); or Honda ST1300; Yamaha FJR, or ????? Of course I'm biased on shaft drive so have headed him in that direction, although most of his riding is day or two...and a couple time a summer a week "tour"...

Any thoughts? he wants me to help him spend his money :)

#2 ·
As you see in my sig line, I had a Trophy 900 and went with the K12GT. It's everything the Trophy wanted to be. I considered all the others mentioned, but obviously decided otherwise. No looking back.

The GT is much lighter feeling in the front on slow, tight steering. With the Trophy, it felt like I was having to really counter to keep it from falling in. Not so with the GT.

At speed, stability is incredible. Smooth. I do miss the sound of the triple, but if you friend has the Trophy 1200, it has the 4 cyl.

Test ride time.

#3 ·
New Bike......

BrianF said:
A friend has learned on Triumph Bonneville; then riding Triumph Trophy 1200, and now ready to change again: and asking re a recent K1200GT (like mine!); or Honda ST1300; Yamaha FJR, or ????? Of course I'm biased on shaft drive so have headed him in that direction, although most of his riding is day or two...and a couple time a summer a week "tour"...

Any thoughts? he wants me to help him spend his money :)
I would suggest you let your buddy ride your K12GT, and not just 10 miles. Let him run it 100 or so, or get him to a dealer who will. I have had several bikes, my last a Suzuki 1200S Bandit. Nothing (of course) like the GT. I also had a Honda ST1100 (precursor of 1300) and did'nt like it, was top heavy, and did not handle anything like the Beemer. The Yamaha FJR is a highly rated bike, my riding buddy has one, but at 25k-30k I'll bet it will start falling apart. I am sure if I mantain my K12GT it will go 100k easily, and beyond.

#4 ·
Go Gt!...its A Bike That Will Give It All To You....smooooth Ride...no Vibration....becomes A Part Of You Like A Glove That You Wear All The Time.....the Power Man Its Just The Way To Go!...oh And The Looks!!!....will Last For Thou and thou Of Miles...(as Long As Its Not That Ugly New One Ha Ha)

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments......we are riding to the Oregon Coast today and stopping at a dealer who as an ST and an FJR....just to look. The serious bike now, 03 GT here in Portland will be looked at and compared Saturday....it's got all the goodies, low miles, and that dark blue color...oh my!

#6 ·
I had two ST1100's and can attest to their being a great bike. I'm sure the 1300 is even better. Yamaha has a great rep with the FJ and it sure has plenty of power. The only problem I have with either of these bikes is the lack of versatility. Take the bags off for a quick Sunday ride and they stand out in a crowd in the wrong way. Can you say ugly. The K1200RS gives you the most for your money. Bags off or on they look great. You can convert from a full tour to a track day bike in minutes. I'm not knocking either of the other two great motorcycles, but I just don't think they compart to an RS.

Full tour, short tour, and track day pictures attached. I hope he gets a black one. We all know that's the fastest color.

Attachments

#8 ·
they're all good bikes. THe pre 2006 FJRs had a heat problem in the frame (hot to the touch) so if you live in a warm climate I would avoid those. If you live in a cold climate, it's a free heater. Otherwise, it's time for him to decide which one fits his vision of himself best. If he has a good buddy on a KRS, it might be good for him to bond with his buddy. But maybe he's a rebel and wants to ride a jap bike when he goes out with his buddy on the BMW.

ps is "jap" derogatory? I didn't mean it to be but on rereading it I was wondering if I should have changed it????

--Jerry

#9 ·
Help On Recomendation

Own a '03 K1200rs...simply a do anything bike, power on tap everywhere therefore easy to ride soft or hard.

Only been on one ST1300 for about 50 miles in the twisties: Assessment, nice bike, the windscreen will guarantee you're in a bubble out of the wind....and if you like that type of protection. Regarding the power differencial...the ST is requires much more twist of the throttle to get to where you're going quickly....the K1200 will leave the ST behind in a NY minute.

#10 ·
BrianF said:
Thanks for the comments......we are riding to the Oregon Coast today and stopping at a dealer who as an ST and an FJR....just to look. The serious bike now, 03 GT here in Portland will be looked at and compared Saturday....it's got all the goodies, low miles, and that dark blue color...oh my!
For NW riding all three are great rides. The ST may be the smoothest. The FJR is the fastest. And, IMHO, the GT is the best all around with standard ABS and the best suspension. Be aware iffn you ride into hot areas that both the ST and the FJR have serious issues about 'cooking' the rider. As mentioned before, the ST is fugly with the bags off.

#12 ·
Decisions

BMW is the only true sport-touring bike on the market today, in my opinion.
Has anyone ever seen the FJR equipped w/ heated grips? Looks like something from J.C. Whitney from the 70's. Cruise control? Riigghht. Chain maintenance? Barbaric! ABS? Maybe. Let off the throttle for engine braking on a 'high revver' and you pick up speed. Resale value? Think again. 100,000mi. on a motorcycle? Unlikely.
Don't like the price of a BMW? Wait until you can afford it. My riding buddy's 92' ST1100 is black, like mine, and looks like the day off the showroom, but............ when we pull in anywhere for a breather, the BMW is the one people point and talk about. It's prestige and class, but prestige and class are earned by being the best. BMW has earned that bragging right. That blue and white badge speaks volumes :tim

#13 ·
budcarrigan said:
I had two ST1100's and can attest to their being a great bike. I'm sure the 1300 is even better. Yamaha has a great rep with the FJ and it sure has plenty of power. The only problem I have with either of these bikes is the lack of versatility. Take the bags off for a quick Sunday ride and they stand out in a crowd in the wrong way. Can you say ugly. The K1200RS gives you the most for your money. Bags off or on they look great. You can convert from a full tour to a track day bike in minutes. I'm not knocking either of the other two great motorcycles, but I just don't think they compart to an RS.

Full tour, short tour, and track day pictures attached. I hope he gets a black one. We all know that's the fastest color.
Very nice. I must agree the RS is superior to the other bikes in consideration. As a former GT owner I can attest to the fact they are fantastic bikes! Smooth, nice looking and fast...and it's a BMW.

#15 ·
Re: Help

A friend and I rode from Nashville Tn to Key West Fl in May of last year.. he was on an ST1300 and I was on something else.. (a HD Ultra). When we were in stop and go traffic in Miami we both were sliding back as far from those hot motors as was possible. He also had one of the "gel" seat pads on his and noted that after it being in the fridge overnight it would be cool for awhile then get excessively hot after a few miles from the heat generated by that powerhouse motor. Just my .02c worth. I recently got a crashed 99 K12RS and am currently rebuilding it. I went to look at some Kawasaki Concours and saw this and it was all over!! What a gorgeous machine! I have seen some of you say that the "Yellow Taxicab" bikes are the fastest.. and others think the black ones are.. however after a trial ride on mine I can safely say the "Silver w/ Blue stripes" is no slouch!! :tim

#16 ·
Our country motorcycle police training school recently returned all their ST1300 because they were unhappy with the high speed handling. I asked one of the senior instructors whether he thought I should hold on to my '99 K12RS or change for an ST1300. His view and all his fellow instructors is that the K12 is much superior for serious use. Most of their machines are K12GTs. Since most serious UK bikers hold the police motorcyclist in very high esteem with regard to their riding skills I bow to their wisdom.

#17 ·
Fastest

I do agree that the checker board is the fastest...........sitting still. Black is the fastest when actually moving. The small lips of the checker boards decals cause a type of turbulance that actually slows it down at higher speeds. I'd try to explain it in further detail, but your head would explode. :D

#18 ·
Fastest........

cobbler said:
I do agree that the checker board is the fastest...........sitting still. Black is the fastest when actually moving. The small lips of the checker boards decals cause a type of turbulance that actually slows it down at higher speeds. I'd try to explain it in further detail, but your head would explode. :D
If that is true.......than why is the "Flash's" outfit colored RED?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.