BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you may have read through my other posts about my upcoming San Jose, CA to NJ trip. My wife is now having second thoughts because she believe that such a solo ride is dangerous (even though almost every stop along the way is at a friend's house).

What does everyone here think, am I crazy for wanting to do this alone and should I wait for the opportunity to do it with someone else, or am I just doing what has been done by so many other riders so many times in the past?

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's a delicate situation.

I haven't done a cross-country ride before, but when I take trips on the bike my wife worries, but doesn't try to stop me. It helps that she likes to ride. It would certainly be more fun with someone else along but that may not be possible. Your best bet is to set some parameters with her and stick to them. Such as detailing your route, calling each night or day with where you are and where you will be going next, etc. That seems like common courtesy to me and may help ease her mind. You may put out feelers on this board and get some riding buddies for certain legs of your trip. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
You might want to show her the route. Explain how long it takes for each leg, and how many miles you are riding each day. As long as you aren't overdoing it, she will probably start to understand. Make sure you come up with a schedule for phone calls. I try to call when I stop for lunch, but that can backfire. You could be in the middle of nowhere at noon and she starts to worry.

·
Registered
452 Posts
lol

Sounds to me like you're under-insured. Ever since I got the new insurance policy, wifey has been encouraging me to ride faster. Something about insurance makes them hold you a bit looser. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm travelling from New Orleans to Las Vegas solo in October. Not as far as your ride but 1700 miles or so. Wife hasn't blinked.

Cheers,

Gravity

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Gravity said:
Sounds to me like you're under-insured. Ever since I got the new insurance policy, wifey has been encouraging me to ride faster.
ROTFLMAO!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
H'mmmm. At this point in time you have 12 responses on another forum compared to only 4 here. :confused:

Kind of puts your exhaustive scientific research on forum responses and opinions about them at question, doesn't it? :wtf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just HOW concerned is she? I got some concern before heading out on multiple coast-to-coast kinds of rides, so I offered to buy a Star-Traxx so she could track my every move on the trip. Once she saw the price tag ... problem cured, and I didn't have to buy it. :D

But seriously, I do try to text message or call when I can, so she knows I'm still moving. On endurance rides or rallies, it can be difficult to call or txt at every stop, and I've had to wing myself off txt msging while the bike is moving, but I do try to msg every couple of stops at least. I've done enough trips by now that she knows I'll stop when I've hit my limit, and she usually (rallies excluded) knows my route and planned stops before I leave, so I *could* be found if I went unreported for a long period of time.

Of course, I'm also over-insured as mentioned above. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I understand your wife being concerned. My wife LOVES to go out on the mighty K and is broken hearted if I ride it without her. But that is OK, she let me get a "solo" bike, a Suz DL650. Some days when she is working and I am not she will encourage me to go out for a ride by myself. But, should that ride turn into a solo trip of any distance the rules suddenly change.

She worries greatly about me if I go too far. I think she would die from a nervous breakdown if I did a long solo trip like this one being discussed. She would think of hundreds of ways I could be killed or injured. I could be drug behind a semi truck or run over by a train or robbed by Mexican Bandits, whatever. She would not be able to sleep nights.

How to deal with it? That's the tough call. Lots of cell phone calls and/or text messages while on the road I guess. Reassure her, be understanding of her concerns, etc. She cares about you and would just be devastated if anything happened to you and she wasn't there. Work with her to overcome her fears.

But make the trip, it sounds like a great ride!

·
Registered
373 Posts
22 posts to 6!

Looks like time for fresh batteries in the old scientific calculator.

·
Registered
180 Posts
cruizbz said:
22 posts to 6!

Looks like time for fresh batteries in the old scientific calculator.

Cruiz, you're trying to stir up shit. By the way...how 'bout those Cubs (NOT).
But the White Sox on the other hand....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Post some pics.

If she is hot enough she can crash at my place while your gone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am excited for you. I have taken some long trips. Some 2-up. Some solo I recommend the solo now and then. Really can be a spiritual experience. So you wife does love you, huh? At least she's not saying "when the hell are you leaving", eh?! Good for you. Of course she will be worried. Check in often. Maybe she would like it if you had one of these:

http://www.pimall.com/nais/tracking.html

...but then again....she might want you to staple it to your leg. Cheers and have a ball.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I took my first solo ride when I was 17. Went from Arizona to Sturgis and back thru Utah and Nevada.Was gone around 3 weeks. A 750 Suzuki water buffalo was my only companion.30 + years later I still prefer to ride alone.I find its the best therapy out there.I never really thought it was anymore dangerous than going to the store for milk. Being further away from home doesnt increase the risk, unless your touring Iraq.Being dead in an unknown bar ditch is the same degree of dead as being ran over in your local Walmart parking lot. I take plenty of breaks, stop at any interesting points of interest, and take a nap if I'm sleepy.I may ride late at night if I feel like it, and I may not leave the motel room or campsite till after lunch. I ride my ride and enjoy myself.I flirt with the waitress, talk to the locals, hell sometimes I'll talk to a local leo if he dont look busy and ask for things to see,places to avoid etc.Stop at grocery store for a few things and have a picnic for lunch somewhere. Take the trip and remember to enjoy yourself! Call home often and dont forget to send her flowers and some gooey card while your on the road. Works wonders.

·
Registered
373 Posts
K1DUDE said:
Cruiz, you're trying to stir up shit. By the way...how 'bout those Cubs (NOT).
But the White Sox on the other hand....
No I am not! Besides, I am saving up all my stirring for taunting White Suck fans coming to MY ball park this weekend! I'll be at the games on Fri and Sat and then go to INDY on Sunday and taunt Over priced Fiat Italian race car fans!

Now, Ozzie is always stirring up crap! Get on him! ;)

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Well, start off acknowledging her concerns for your well being and the dangers that are on the road. Ask her what precautions you should take and will it help if you call often on your cell phone. Then take her down to her favorite store (it's jewelry for my wife) and buy her a nice gift to affirm your love and appreciation for her concerns.

If this doesn't work, you could always just sneak out in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, when I first got married, my wife didn't like it much...now after 6 years, she say's o.k. to the bike trips, but only if I promise to stay gone at least a week.

:wtf :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have done so many cross-county ride solo since 1973 I can't count them.

but I do remember:

I was run off the rode 5 times
robbed 7
they stole my bike twice.
beat up 4
ran out of gas 3
arreseted 4 times
got 18 speeding tickets
got laid once.

tell her not to worry, you may not get laid.

·
Registered
186 Posts
take your wife with you.

I wonder, any woman opinion on this thread??

I think she really loves you and hate to see that fact you're leaving for a trip without her. She knows you can ride well and be safe, but IMO she wants to be part of what you're doing. Why not take her with you?

Those phone calls from stop to stop will just annoy her even more and could kinda backfire on you. Make a long story short, if you know what's good for you, you better listen.:p

As I always say, it's a woman thing, you 'have' to understand..........:)

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
bazra said:
I have done so many cross-county ride solo since 1973 I can't count them.

but I do remember:

I was run off the rode 5 times
robbed 7
they stole my bike twice.
beat up 4
ran out of gas 3
arreseted 4 times
got 18 speeding tickets
got laid once.

tell her not to worry, you may not get laid.
OMG, I'm gonna show this one to my wife. Hahahahahahaha!

·
Registered
192 Posts
kl3640 said:
Well, you may have read through my other posts about my upcoming San Jose, CA to NJ trip. My wife is now having second thoughts because she believe that such a solo ride is dangerous (even though almost every stop along the way is at a friend's house).

What does everyone here think, am I crazy for wanting to do this alone and should I wait for the opportunity to do it with someone else, or am I just doing what has been done by so many other riders so many times in the past?
What do we think? Well, I think you're just crazy! :D :D :D

OH, about the TRIP! Perhaps it would help for her to read about the Iron Butt Rally riders (go to the website, pick a year, doesn't matter). Dozens of participants ride all over North American, solo, many riding in excess of a thousand miles per day for a full eleven days in a row. A few of them have breakdowns (some of those bikes already have over a hundred thousand miles before the rally even starts!), and there have been a couple of deer strikes, but by and large, as a group, they put on nearly a million miles in less than two weeks, mostly without incident.

If you're in good health, your bike is reliable and well maintained (especially tires), and you are an alert and careful rider, I see no problem at all with your planned ride. The final decision, is of course, up to the two of you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts