BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 k1200rs. The fairings are in pretty bad shape. I was thinking of removing them and building a little cafe racer . Any tips would be very welcome i.e. a metal gas tank and seat that would fit the frame. Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Were you thinking of doing this before or after you bought it? If before, there are many other more suitable bobber candidates, I think. So, why'd you buy it?

Personally, I'd contact a few of the used parts dealers out there like Joshua at Parts Haus in CA or Beemer Boneyard in NJ, and pick up another set of fairing panels on the cheap. The cost of getting them painted to match would probably be a lot less than chopping the bike. Seriously, why ruin one of the best coast-to-coast cruise missiles ever made, in favor of some homey, street cred, beast that won't ever be worth anything near what you sink into it? If you're after homey, street cred, you could just paint everything flat black and zip tie a stuffed easter bunny on the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Felix, thanks for the come back. He's the story on the cafe project. I have a 1998 k1200rs with over 115,000 miles on it. All those miles are mine and it's in excellent shape. So I bought this 2000 as a parts bike. It has 48,000 miles on it, needs a clutch and the plastic needs some love.But it does start right up and runs. I paid $800 for it delivered. My seat is cracking [2nd one] so I took the seat from the 2000. That's a couple hundred dollars, plus it has a brand new battery and spark plugs, another couple hundred dollars. I agree it's not the ideal cafe project, but I have it in stock.Maybe I'll get to it,maybe not. Not looking to get crazy with it. Winters here in New York are long and cold, so it's good to have a project or two. Anybody Know of a metal gas tank that would work on that frame without to many mods? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody Know of a metal gas tank that would work on that frame without to many mods? Thanks
I bought an 04 GT (my 3rd K-bike) just for a project myself although not to build a bobber. I spent a lot of time looking into using a metal gas tank also, but with all of the electronics that are hidden under the factory tank I decided to just make use of it.

Here's how my project ended up:

IMG_20190727_113252344_HDR.jpg

Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts