BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that the bottom of the right radiator, where the thermostat is? Looks a bit different than I remember it on my '03 KGT. Anyway, one time a buddy of mine and I came down from Bear Tooth pass and the Chief Joseph highway. One of my fans froze up along the way and popped the fuse, which also killed the other fan. Just as we rode up under the portico of our hotel in Cody, my cooling system let loose and sprayed the side of the building with pretty blue fluid. To cut to the chase, I replaced the thermostat, a few clips and o-rings in that vicinity, and a "cover" piece (a short piece of plastic tube). That helped, but didn't solve. After much cussing and prodding, I found that the opening where all of that stuff attaches had a hairline crack that would open up under heat and pressure. That lower part of the radiator was not a separate piece. I ended up having to get a used radiator on eBay (about $85). If your issue is anything like that, you'll certainly get dirty fixing it, but it's pretty straightforward wrenching. The pretty blue fluid is available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts as Pentosin Pentofrost NF, I believe. -- Keith

1 - 2 of 2 Posts