BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Back to pick the knowledgeable peoples brains.

As some know, I recently rebuilt a K1200RS. This entailed replacing the crank and con rods.

So in my rush to get the bike done, I didn't notice that the hall effect sensor should be marked before being removed. So now it is in TDC roughly...and it goes.

Problems I have though are that when I crank open the throttle, the rpm rises to around 2500 slowly, and then it suddenly lurches like I would have expected from the off. I am also getting some smoke at 1/2-5/8ths throttle blips. Then at motorway speeds, it feels as if the bike hesitates, like I am backing off the throttle ever so slightly.

I get good strong sparks, the leads are in very good condition and the spark plugs are clean.

The thing is, I came across a post (possibly by Voxmagna?) about setting the ignition timing statically and now I can't find it, anyone have a link?

The BMW dealers around here are unable to get my bike up on the moditec for at least 2 weeks so I would like to have a go at fixing this myself if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
on the same note, I read some where that the moditec unit overlays on screen two wave forms for the ignition timing.

Is there a crank position sensor apart from the Hall effect sensor? if so then I could make up a little data logging system to combine the signals from the hall effect sensor and that crank position sensor or any other sensor and be able to dynamically time my machine.

Any ideas?

Found the post I was after earlier:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=10745

1 - 2 of 2 Posts