BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late this past winter I traded my '04 K1200GT and my '06 Kawasaki 650R in on a demo '07R1200RT. Was hoping that she'd be the one. I was worried that the vibration from the boxer might be a fly in the ointment. It was. Glad I didn't buy new. Loved the bike otherwise.
7.1 gallon tank at 47+ mpg, all the ecoutrements (sp?), light weight, great lights, quick, stability, handling. I just can't take that boxer vibration. Tried stuff to fix it. 18+ oz bar end weights, foam grip overlays, even a rubber pad under the riser.

Well.... Found a used, privately owned, '08 KGT/grey/loaded 'cept alarm, through a local dealer that I bug too much. 170 miles on it. No really, 170 miles.
VERY GOOD price.

I now own 2 BMWs . The RT's for sale.

Anway... I'd been reading about the teething issues.. hoped they were all gone.
So far I am quite pleased, with one reservation. The Transmission.. and quiet shifting.
I have no problem with downshifts or a quiet drop from neutral in to first from a stop.
Both fine. But man oh man, the upshift from 1st to 2nd and even 2nd to 3rd...yipes, thats gonna take some technique.

I'll search and read-up. Already adjusted the shifter, preloading, and such. I've found a very smooth 2-step procedure, 1st to 2nd that works beautifully. It requires too much concentration though, and I don't always hit it right.
Hopefully I will find the key.

Otherwise, it's very nice. Gadgets Galore. Smooth, Zenon, TPM, I like the adjustable bars, faster than I need. Even it's appearence is starting to grow on me.
Stealth fighterish...

DMilan
darkagain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
DMilan said:
Well.... Found a used, privately owned, '08 KGT/grey/loaded 'cept alarm, through a local dealer that I bug too much. 170 miles on it. No really, 170 miles.
VERY GOOD price.
The Transmission.. and quiet shifting.
Hopefully I will find the key.
D,
Congratulations!
170 miles in new not used. What's the story there?

Ear plugs are the key to quiet shifting.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ncooper said:
D,
Congratulations!
170 miles in new not used. What's the story there?

Ear plugs are the key to quiet shifting.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Story is "shoulder surgery"
Can't ride for a year. Longer span than originally forecast.
I trust the guy, and the story.

In the way back of my mind I wonder... did something freak him out about the bike and it's hmmmm.... peculiarities (shifting)? Gentleman has the means to take the $$$ hit.

No. I won't go there. I trust the story.

Ear plugs huh? Yeah, I use 'em. Oh my... BMWs...

Thanks for the welcome
dmilan
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Hmm, do you happen to be near Kentucky? Just curious.

I know what you mean about the RT. I tried to like it, but I just never could get really comfortable on one. I guess I'm really just an inline-4 guy at heart. Nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on the bike. Sounds like a great find that you will enjoy for many years to come. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
DMilan said:
Story is "shoulder surgery"
Can't ride for a year. Longer span than originally forecast.
I trust the guy, and the story.

In the way back of my mind I wonder... did something freak him out about the bike and it's hmmmm.... peculiarities (shifting)? Gentleman has the means to take the $$$ hit.
D,
Sounds familiar.
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13760
I can believe the story. I understand that shoulder surgery takes along time to recover!
His loss your gain. Enjoy it!
Welcome!!!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meese said:
Hmm, do you happen to be near Kentucky? Just curious.

I know what you mean about the RT. I tried to like it, but I just never could get really comfortable on one. I guess I'm really just an inline-4 guy at heart. Nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on the bike. Sounds like a great find that you will enjoy for many years to come. :)
I did recently leave some $ (little) in Louisville. But that had to do with 20 horses not 152 hp. Annual event with friends at the Kentucky Derby.

I'm in Cleveland. Certainly not the same bike as in the link. Similar machine but with gray seat, and Hyperlites as only add-on. That guys experience is another reason to sell a new bike though.

In addition to my confidence in the gentlman seller, I spoke with the original selling dealer. Think I just had some good timing and had some nice folks to deal with.
That's my story and I'm stick'n with it.

On to the bike, and specificaly the shifting. Thought I'd read that they'd fixed that somehow.

I adjusted the shifter down a bit last night. It was too high for me.
This afternoon, found that there was very little free play, none really, in the throttle grip at idle.

I test rode another '08 recently. Immediately noticed excessive free play in the throttle control at idle on that machine. Very different than mine.
Funny thing is, I was able to shift her up 1-2-3 much more smoothly than my newly aquired GT. Made me think that the noisey shifting had indeed been fixed.

Added just a snick of freeplay to mine this afternoon. Didn't ride after the adjustment . Hope it helps some.

Meanwhile I'll try other techniques, methods and ear plugs, as always. The sound of the machine whacking into gear on upshifts is just a bit unsettling.

On the positive side ... What a beautifull exhaust note. Quick to spool up, and seemingly loving it, like a F-1 car.

Thanks for the welcome guys
David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
And there off

DMilan said:
I did recently leave some $ (little) in Louisville. But that had to do with 20 horses not 152 hp.
On to the bike, and specificaly the shifting. Thought I'd read that they'd fixed that somehow.
David
David,
Sorry about picking the wrong horse but you have a winner with the GT.

Now back to shifting.

Let's determine if you have the v.3 airbox in your bike.
Many of us, including myself, have noticed much inproved shifting along with less sensitive throttle response when our airboxes and software were upgraded, under warranty BTW. Just search for HI/BBS and you will find a wealth of information.

The early 08's had the old airbox and software. Easiest thing is to check your build date, if it was built after October of 07, It probably has the new stuff. Or check the VIN against the list on this BMW bulletin: http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7284&d=1197590686

The next time you want to bet on the ponies check with us first. With our collective wisdom we can pick a winner, but you will have to share your winnings with us!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Just a little bit of practise and you cannot hear the shift, pressure on the gear lever, slightly down on throttle, slight pull on clutch and it slips in smoothly and quietly
From neutral, always hold the clutch for a few seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ncooper said:
David,

Now back to shifting.

Let's determine if you have the v.3 airbox in your bike.
Many of us, including myself, have noticed much inproved shifting along with less sensitive throttle response when our airboxes and software were upgraded, under warranty BTW. Just search for HI/BBS and you will find a wealth of information.

The early 08's had the old airbox and software. Easiest thing is to check your build date, if it was built after October of 07, It probably has the new stuff. Or check the VIN against the list on this BMW bulletin: http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7284&d=1197590686

The next time you want to bet on the ponies check with us first. With our collective wisdom we can pick a winner, but you will have to share your winnings with us!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Thanks Norris,

The Bulletin says that if you have newer than ZN47596 you are covered for both the new Airbox and Software
I have ZN47948
So I'm good to go in that respect.

I adjusted the shifter up a bit, and added some freeplay in the throttle grip. Along with preloading the shifter I noticed some improvement today during a brief ride. Much less THWACK, even some silent gearchanges.
More like the '08 I tested a week or so ago.

DMilan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
William-K1200 said:
Just a little bit of practise and you cannot hear the shift, pressure on the gear lever, slightly down on throttle, slight pull on clutch and it slips in smoothly and quietly
From neutral, always hold the clutch for a few seconds.
Thanks William,

Yeah I hear those tips, working on 'em.

On the maiden ride home I made the mistake of quickly popping into first from neutral at a traffic light. TTTTHHHHWWWWAAACCCCKKKK.... OUCH

Pull in and hold the clutch for a few seconds evidently lets something spin down a bit in the trans and eliminates that particular umm.... quirk.

DMilan
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top