Votes: 50 19.2%

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quasi info gathering post on whether or not you've experienced High Idle and/or Bucking Bike Syndrome (no guessing, you'll know it) on your bike.

I deleted the first one so I could add the year models to the poll and the second one because it really screwed things up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had issues with the bike running smoothly, and have had the airbox upgraded, but I don't think it's the same problem. The bike would run rough and died at stop lights, but it didn't "buck". It's still not right after the upgrade, but I'm hoping the new air filter will finally quash this bug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
KLAPTRAPPER said:
Seems the model responses of "yes" 24 does not add up to the total 21. WTF?
I would trust the numbers associated with the year, not with the yes/no, because people may have two bikes (years) with one 'yes' or 'no'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Running rough/dyeing

I've had this problem on my 07GT. Turns out it's from overfilling the gas tank and fuel getting into the carbon canister. I'm in the habit of not putting the bike on the center stand and also topping off the tank with as much as it can hold. Not any more!

·
Registered
38 Posts
well I misvoted I didn't note the yes/no part very well. I am a YES for 2007. I just got my airbox done and it seems to be ok now.

Still irritated as hell be the gradual throttle response that the bike seems to think I need. Wish there was a way to turn that off.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Went for a long ride today, temp over 25° C, at the end of the ride, after 30km highway the idle got stuck at 2500 rpm. I could force the idle speed down by releasing the clutch while in gear, but the sligthest touch of the throttle let the idle speed go back to around 2500 rpm. I already have the new airbox (v3) and the latest software update (v 11.1).

Anyone else have the HIBBs with the new airbox?

·
Registered
438 Posts
You are not alone!

®win said:
Yes there have been.
I have been monitoring several different sites. I think there have been three others.

My 06 has almost 8,000 miles on the upgraded airbox/software with no problems.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
ncooper said:
Yes there have been.
I have been monitoring several different sites. I think there have been three others.

My 06 has almost 8,000 miles on the upgraded airbox/software with no problems.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Ditto, I am just waiitn for the real hot days and long rides to see if these problems surface again!! So far, so good!

·
Registered
438 Posts
larrykay said:
Ditto, I am just waiitn for the real hot days and long rides to see if these problems surface again!! So far, so good!
Might I add that I have I ridden mine in temps as high as 95 F ( 35 C).

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm off to the Cote d'Azur beginning of June so we'll see if the temp increase causes problems :)

So far with the new airbox it all seems well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
®win said:
Went for a long ride today, temp over 25° C, at the end of the ride, after 30km highway the idle got stuck at 2500 rpm. I could force the idle speed down by releasing the clutch while in gear, but the sligthest touch of the throttle let the idle speed go back to around 2500 rpm. I already have the new airbox (v3) and the latest software update (v 11.1).

Mine was the same. It was getting worse and every ride on the Freeway for more than about 10km resulted in the problem you describe and very sensitive throttle. With mine it was always fixed with the new air box by turning the engine off and then restarting it whereas with the old air box this made no difference.

The dealer just "reset the adaptive settings to default" and installed version 11 and now the bike is perfect again. So far for about 2000km. Maybe it is resetting the adaptive settings that fixes it for a while so you should probably try doing it. I haven't tried doing it myself but there were instructions posted a couple of days ago on how to do it. I am not sure about the TPS part of these instructions because I thought the bike sensed the throttle position automatically, unlike earlier BMW's, but I don't really know.

It is certainly very frustrating when it comes back after you think it has been fixed. I can't fault it now that the dealer has done his bit so maybe your's didn't reset the adaptive settings correctly when he did the upgrade?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same experience with my 07 model in the Ardennes a few weeks ago. Temp was about 25degC. BMW said that there is a selective recall and will be replacing the airbox next week. Hopefully it will sort the problem but I see from other postings that it may not. If it doesn't I will expect full refund and get an RT instead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here. Got the V3 airbox and software updated. Seemed to fix it for several thousand miles and now it's started to exhibit the high idle again, just not as bad as before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
®win said:
Yes! I have early 2007 which did not have the HIBBS before the new airbox but rather a drop in power when trying to moderate the throttle at about 3000 rpms.

After 5 months of daily riding, I am just now experiencing both the HI and BBS. I had the new airbox and version 10.something installed 12/07.

HIgh Idle started to show up in a small way wherein the bike would not initially decelerate when shifting. This occurs in most gears.

High idle initially only occurred after stopping and "blipping" the throttle. Last night occurred for the first time on its own--causing me to blow a stop sign. When I got home I ran the bike at 3000 rpms while sitting the drive way. I could actually "observe" the BBS on the rpm gauge wherein the bike dropped quickly to 2500 and back up to 3000 rpms. Normally when I perform this procedure the bike will drop from 3000 rpms down to 1500 and then slowly "dog" its way back up to speed.

By the way, the temp. does not make a difference. My symptoms have occurred from 60 degrees through 77 degrees F ambient temp. and have started to show after about 5 to 10 miles of mostly freeway driving.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
8700 miles on my 07 with the third generation airbox. No problems yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a new 2008 and have the high idle problem. In first, second and third gear the bike won't idle down below 3000 rpm after the bike warms up. My dealer can't get me for service for three week so I guess I will just have to put up with the problem.

I though the problem was solved for 08. Does anyone else have the same problem with an 08?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Feedback said:
Just bought a new 2008 and have the high idle problem. In first, second and third gear the bike won't idle down below 3000 rpm after the bike warms up. My dealer can't get me for service for three week so I guess I will just have to put up with the problem.

I though the problem was solved for 08. Does anyone else have the same problem with an 08?
Do you know if was built before or after Sept. 07?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts