BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the CQLight HID low beam. As everyone experiences, my high beam now does very little. But, I need more light for offramps and dark turns, so I'm considering either adding some PIAA's (relayed to the high beams) or going with an HID High Beam light. Thoughts? Since the high beam only seems to be focused in the very center above the low beam light, I'm assuming most of you will say go with some PIAA's or the like. But which one's are bright enough, and fit an '03 GT, to make a difference over the HID low beams? Again, I'm looking for additional distance light for offramps and turns, when I need more light out farther to see better. Also, can you run PIAA's all the time (like the 1100's), or are they too bright to run with the low beams? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
bobholthaus said:
I installed the CQLight HID low beam. As everyone experiences, my high beam now does very little. But, I need more light for offramps and dark turns, so I'm considering either adding some PIAA's (relayed to the high beams) or going with an HID High Beam light. Thoughts? Since the high beam only seems to be focused in the very center above the low beam light, I'm assuming most of you will say go with some PIAA's or the like. But which one's are bright enough, and fit an '03 GT, to make a difference over the HID low beams? Again, I'm looking for additional distance light for offramps and turns, when I need more light out farther to see better. Also, can you run PIAA's all the time (like the 1100's), or are they too bright to run with the low beams? Thanks.
Bob
I added a pair of PIAA 004XT aux. lights(about $125.00 on eBay), mounted on a homemade aluminum bracket under the oil cooler. They are 55watts apiece and DO light things up!

I use them when crossing the desert and other desolate riding. For me they are a good addition to my HID lo-beam and stock hi-beam.

Lamp usage is up to the individual, some people might feel it's overkill, others say it's still not enough light.

Sorry, I can't post pictures. I keep getting "invalid file" even though the file is jpeg.
Using pdf's is the only way I could post pictures, sorry.

Attachments

• 251.9 KB Views: 42
  • 278.6 KB Views: 29
  • 257.4 KB Views: 22

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bruce, Great looking install----inside the fairing makes it look very OEM too! JD Also --bump proof too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce, thank you. I see the pics as well (it worked). Although they are not as small as the 1100's, they do look good and I can imagine that they put out some light. I'm going to order a pair. Now I just need to figure out how to tap into the high beam curcuit to get them to come on when I put my high beams on!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
bobholthaus said:
Bruce, thank you. I see the pics as well (it worked). Although they are not as small as the 1100's, they do look good and I can imagine that they put out some light. I'm going to order a pair. Now I just need to figure out how to tap into the high beam curcuit to get them to come on when I put my high beams on!

Bob
That kit comes with a switch,relay, fuse and battery lugs for power. Power the switch(or eliminate it) from the high beam(just before it plugs into the headlight housing. And power the aux. lights from a separate source.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
bobholthaus said:
Personally, I can't imagine needing more light than a HID gives....is it adjusted correctly? :confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
milkman said:
Personally, I can't imagine needing more light than a HID gives....is it adjusted correctly? :confused:
For most urban driving you are correct. But when in rural areas (example: Northern WI and Upper MI) where there a lots of deer and other critters, having extra lights like PIAAs is much better, wider light pattern and helps to light up those red eyes hanging out near\on roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts