BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, if you have had a problem with your aftermarket HID kit (DDM, NSSC, etc.) would like to hear from you. I have an H7 low beam kit I installed in early 2017, it now has about 8k mi and about 150-200 hrs on it. It's either DDM or NSSC (I think); it was obtained from Pirate's Lair in 2016. I discovered recently that the light is only intermittently turning on. Other times the bulb flicks on a fraction of a second but does not stay on. Trying again (turning ignition off and back on) will--so far--get it to eventually come back on. It is getting worse, I think. Now takes several attempts to get it on each time. Although I was only riding during the day for quite some time, so I don't know how long this has been going on. When it "fails", the system is quiet--I don't hear the normal soft buzz/hum I normally hear when it's on.

When it works, it works...it'll stay on until I shut the bike off (tested at 4+ hours).

From reading online, it sounds like this could be the bulb. Could also be the ballast. Pirate says failures of either are very rare.

Also, does anyone own one of these kits, and have you replaced the bulb? Can you get them at auto parts stores? Are they standardized (e.g., an H7 halogen)? Or does it depend on the kit? I don't want Pirate's Lair to be my sole source for headlight bulbs. Nothing against Pirate. And how long did your bulb last?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Humming? Buzzing? Weird my DDM HIDs have never buzzed or hummed.

Mind you I did not plug & play them into the OEM wiring as it is too small gauge,power goes through the switches and that causes a Voltage drop of about 0.75V on the notoriously weak OEM wiring.

Relay setup for higher Voltage.No buzzes/hums but I did burn a bulb at about 1500hrs.Replaced with the better one from DDM.

Interesting the description for their now "Ultra HIDs" as to the demand on lighting up.I don't think mine were Ultras back in 2010.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humming? Buzzing? Weird my DDM HIDs have never buzzed or hummed.

Mind you I did not plug & play them into the OEM wiring as it is too small gauge,power goes through the switches and that causes a Voltage drop of about 0.75V on the notoriously weak OEM wiring.

Relay setup for higher Voltage.No buzzes/hums but I did burn a bulb at about 1500hrs.Replaced with the better one from DDM.

Interesting the description for their now "Ultra HIDs" as to the demand on lighting up.I don't think mine were Ultras back in 2010.

It is a very faint hum, coming from the flatter/wider box (ballast?). If you were outside, even in a quiet-ish outside environment (no wind, no traffic, just basic "outside ambient") you probably wouldn't hear it; but in a quiet garage you can.

Did you order the H7 (now A/B "universal") DDM bulb since that (H7) is what the original headlight slot was?

That was a good move using the relay. Something else I don't like: HIDs apparently don't like to be turned on/off rapidly. But the K12 turns the headlight on with the key (engine off), cuts the power to the light for starting, and then it comes back on. So every start sequence is a wasted ignition of the lamp. I wish there were an easy way to avoid that, other than installing a separate (manual) light switch.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I did install a low beam cutoff switch to prevent the double strikes on startup.Used it a few times but then ignored it.Bulb lasted 1500hrs anyway or whatever milleage it had divided by 50 (good average mph) that was close to 1500.

Replacement bulb was their updated Phillips?Updated for faster warmup/longevity?Only 62,000kms on it so can't speak for its longevity!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really sounds like the ballast/igniter. I’ve had several ballast/igniters fail but never a bulb (in cars - the bike has been solid with the cheapo kit from amazon). Also much easier to swap out than pulling all the plastic to get to the bulb..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all, if you have had a problem with your aftermarket HID kit (DDM, NSSC, etc.) would like to hear from you. I have an H7 low beam kit I installed in early 2017, it now has about 8k mi and about 150-200 hrs on it. It's either DDM or NSSC (I think); it was obtained from Pirate's Lair in 2016. I discovered recently that the light is only intermittently turning on. Other times the bulb flicks on a fraction of a second but does not stay on. Trying again (turning ignition off and back on) will--so far--get it to eventually come back on. It is getting worse, I think. Now takes several attempts to get it on each time. Although I was only riding during the day for quite some time, so I don't know how long this has been going on. When it "fails", the system is quiet--I don't hear the normal soft buzz/hum I normally hear when it's on.

When it works, it works...it'll stay on until I shut the bike off (tested at 4+ hours).

From reading online, it sounds like this could be the bulb. Could also be the ballast. Pirate says failures of either are very rare.

Also, does anyone own one of these kits, and have you replaced the bulb? Can you get them at auto parts stores? Are they standardized (e.g., an H7 halogen)? Or does it depend on the kit? I don't want Pirate's Lair to be my sole source for headlight bulbs. Nothing against Pirate. And how long did your bulb last?
You’ll have to take the whole headlight assembly out from the front. There are two wires that go down between the headlight and the housing that have little spade terminals that plug-in you may need a pair of long needle nose to see if those are tight above them there’s a metal spring clip about a half inch wide with a tight band on it that needs to be locked down to get a good ground. It’s a tough piece of metal to bend to get it to lock in if it’s not a firm enough ground. From your description I had the same problem and found that it was that heavy clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts