BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a message from my dealer about my looking into the BMW OEM HID retrofit for my '06. It was mentioned that it requires the bulb ($190), the control unit ($395) and on top of those, the entire headlight lens assembly replaced ($765). Ouch. He was good enough to mention he heard of an owner who had an HID bulb only last 6-8 months....

I looked at Max BMW online parts catalog, and I'll be #%$^*& if it doesn't show two different part numbers for headlight assemblies- one for "non-HID" and one for "HID".

Some OEM retrofit!

Can this truly be possible? Can anyone confirm the need for the ENTIRE headlamp unit being replaced for the BMW OEM retrofit?

Now I know why Grif made his own....

TIA-

B.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Brahma,

This doesn't surprise me. The '06 was originally supposed to be available with TPM. My early version was supposed to be upgradable. I went to the very top of BMW Motorrad Canada to complain that they were failing to meet their obligations of not supplying an upgrade. They countered that sure I could upgrade, but I'd have to buy "new-style" wheels (something different in the internal casting) pricing the whole proposition into the stratosphere. Needless to say, I don't have TPM. Your HID scenario may play out the same. I've seen it discussed elsewhere that the only difference between the two headlight assemblies is the "xenon" stamp in the upper right hand corner. Personally, I find that very hard to believe. To have a separate part for this alone would be hellish on production costs. There has to be some other significant difference.

I do wish you luck, but I really don't think you're likely to have any.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can think of would be some way the bulb might be mounted to avoid it melting the stock style headlamp assembly. If it has to do in any way about how anything else attaches, the retro fit would be a bad design. In either case, one would think they would have tried to design it from the beginning to preclude having to make both parts, as you point out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Caliper mounted moto lights. It's all you'll ever need!

Gravity

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
Trust me, BMW's main goal is not to make cost effective retrofit kits. They'd much rather you just trade up for a loaded '08. :)

Either way, the HID bulbs run cooler as they use less power and put out more useable light and thus less heat, so mounting/melting is not an issue.

Go with the CQLight.ca upgrade kit. It just plain works, and at well under $100 you can't go wrong.

And trust me, HID is light years ahead of Motolights, or pretty much any other bolt-on auxiliary lights (except for more HIDs, of course).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meese said:
Trust me, BMW's main goal is not to make cost effective retrofit kits. They'd much rather you just trade up for a loaded '08. :)
Actually calling about that tomorrow.

1. I like the new airbox on it, even though mne is almost scheduled to be replaced.
2. I REALLY like the reports that the shifting clunk is gone.
3. I'll hope the rear drive seal issue has been addressed.
4. The HID option would be a LOT cheaper!

(I will be the only person to miss the servo brakes)

Which CQLight.ca kit is it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I've read all the install posts from Grif and others.

1. One year later, how is the performance, durability of the CQLight.ca kits?
2. People seem to settle on the 5000k- is this true?
3. In the pictures, I miss how thelight bulb fits into its actual mount- is this otherwise obvious when doing that?
4. Which kit are we talking about? Is everyone using the same CQLight.ca kit?
5. I have an "original" '06, with the 6.1 software- is this a problem? I'll probably be at 10 soon as either my airbox will be installed shortly, or I'm trading for an '08 and will get the HID option.

Thanks-

D.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Meese said:
...... HID is light years ahead of .....
Light years ahead? :rotf: :rotf: Classic no pun intended? !! :hysterica :hysterica

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Brahma said:
1. One year later, how is the performance, durability of the CQLight.ca kits?
Still rocking. HID is more durable than a regular bulb. I know of many HID's that are 7 years old and still rocking.

Brahma said:
2. People seem to settle on the 5000k- is this true?
4100 is the best, but CQ doesn't offer it. 5000 is a very, very slight blue, I think it adds to conspicuity.

Brahma said:
3. In the pictures, I miss how thelight bulb fits into its actual mount- is this otherwise obvious when doing that?
There is a rubber collar that is shipped with the bulb (it holds it in the protective case for shipping). Take this rubber collar off, the bulb has a key that fits in the headlight slot. Just turn it till you feel it seat.

Brahma said:
4. Which kit are we talking about? Is everyone using the same CQLight.ca kit?
Yes.

Brahma said:
5. I have an "original" '06, with the 6.1 software- is this a problem? I'll probably be at 10 soon as either my airbox will be installed shortly, or I'm trading for an '08 and will get the HID option.
Not that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Grif. I should further clarify a question- "which" kit from CQLight.ca is everyone using- they seem to have many...

Thanks-

B.

It also just dawned on me that since bulbs have keys on them, and obviously these aftermarket kit bulbs fit into and don't effect the entire headlamp unit, that the BMW bulb would fit too, so what the heck do they need an entirely different headlamp unit for?. If for some reason it has to do with providing mounting options for the ballast, etc., that would be really dumb.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMW OEM Mystery solved...

The OEM xenon headlamp mystery is solved. The dealer that told me it takes the whole different headlamp unit must have been confused by the fiche. He saw a different part number for the ENTIRE unit INCLUDING the xenon guts, as opposed to the ENTIRE unit including standard guts. It's NOT that the headlamp assembly itself is different.

So it stands that the OEM kit still is expensive, but not THAT expensive...

See attached fiche from Max BMW

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
You want this HID kit. The GT takes H7 bulbs for both low and high beam, and as mentioned 4100K is closest to daylight but 5000K is fine, too. Anything much above that and you start going purple and actually losing useable light.

And yes, my original HID upgrade has been through 2 bikes, 7 years, and well over 100K miles without any problems. If my GT didn't have a factory HID, it would have been the first upgrade I did.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got off my ass today and went and looked at new GT. I see now where t says "Xenon" on the light assembly people have been referring to. I thought they meant somewhere on the back. Nope- right up front "marketing style".

It's times like these that test how much of a purist I want to be.

Dealer was able to show me the bulb and compare Xenon and non-Xenon reflectors- reflectors looked the same. The rear of the BMW HID bulb and its mount look different, and the difference kinda got lost on me, but I figured the CQLight.ca kits seem to fit the back of the non-xenon reflector, so the bulb mount MUST be the same? EXCEPT for the $190 price tag....

Am I missing something here?

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
Brahma said:
EXCEPT for the $190 price tag....

Am I missing something here?
You only need a single bulb (motorcycle) kit for the low beam. It's the high beam that takes two bulbs.

Check the link in my post just above yours. The single bulb H7 5000K kit is listed at $89.99, including shipping. We've gotten down to under $85 shipped with group buys from the BMWLT.com website. And if you order the H7 bulb, it will come with an H7 base that drops right in to the standard reflector housing. All you need to do is cut a small hole in the factory bulb cover to pass the wires from the bulb out to the igniter/ballast.

There are some great pics and detailed installation instructions in the following threads: link link link

·
Registered
24 Posts
The OEM Xenon housing is different from the Non-Xenon in that the mounting key for the Non-Xenon low beam is an H7 style and the Xenon is keyed to the OEM Xenon bulb. The CQ upgrade that needs to be ordered is the H7 replacement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts