BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the new owner of a 2003 K1200GT. The previous owner had HIDs for both low and high beams, but the igniter weren’t bad on the low beam. I decided to take both out and replace the low beam with an LED and a halogen for the high beam. The problem I’m having is grounding the H3 high beam. I’m not sure if I pulled something out that was needed when I took out the HIDs. The springy ground clip holds the assembly in just fine but I don’t see where the H3 assembly is actually grounded. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get this back together and on the road. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um, the wiring connector that plugs into it would contain an earth wire.
[/QUOTE
Um, the wiring connector that plugs into it would contain an earth wire.
I guess that’s why I said that’s I’m not sure if I removed something that’s needed. The H3 halogen bulb only has one wire and that goes to the switch for +12 volts. The spring clip is grounded to battery negative but only comes in contact with the plastic part of the bulb holder assembly. There is nothing that I have to make the ground connection to the bulb. I checked with an ohmmeter from the spring clip to the installed bulb metal parts and to the housing where the bulb frame rests in the headlight assembly and there is no electrical grounding connection. I’m missing something, but I’m not sure what. I can’t find anything on any parts diagram.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Old problem with them is the ground wire to the housing melting.I wouldn't ground anything there.HID, the ballast is grounded, bring the ground to the battery post or establish a remote ground post, bolt and ground wire to the battery then ballast ground to the post.

Mind you again, all them BMW wires are too small.I put my HIDs (Hi/Lo) on a relay,OEM connector/wiring is now only used to trigger the relay.Better than bringing the full electrical load thru the switch and small wiring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old problem with them is the ground wire to the housing melting.I wouldn't ground anything there.HID, the ballast is grounded, bring the ground to the battery post or establish a remote ground post, bolt and ground wire to the battery then ballast ground to the post.

Mind you again, all them BMW wires are too small.I put my HIDs (Hi/Lo) on a relay,OEM connector/wiring is now only used to trigger the relay.Better than bringing the full electrical load thru the switch and small wiring.
That seems to be a very common theme regarding the wire sizes. I think I found my specific issue. I found an actual image of the plastic bulb holder and it has a metal grounding connector inside. Mine is missing that part - most likely because the previous owner has to remove that as part of his HID install. I ordered a new one from Max BMW. That should solve my issue. I’ll update this post soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts