BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a new electrical problem on my 1995 K75RT:
1. High beam indicator is on continuously. Checked the headlight and sure enough, the high beam is on (not making on-coming traffic too happy). The low beam is lit, too.
2. If I move the switch to the Flash position, or the High Beam position, that will turn off the Low Beam part of the headlight, but the High Beam stays on.
Any suggestions on where to start? I would like to not repeat my habit of assuming the worst, digging further than I should, only to find a fairly basic problem/solution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Switch diagnosis

Thanks for the quick reply. Too late, dark and humid outside to go tinker but I hope to move on it soon.
Clarification: The switch works "normal" in either the Flash or the High Beam mode, with only the High Beam on when those positions are selected.
It's the normal, low beam position that has the High Beam on (along with the blue indicator light on the panel), as well as the Low Beam and Parking Light.
I will look for the white wire you referenced but that does not seem to be my issue.
Any tips on what to look for, or how, when I check out the Switch?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Case closed.

As verified in the photo, it was the solder bridge that did it. Not sure what caused the solder bridge, but the immediate fix was to cut the bridge away and make a clean separation between the contacts.
Future long term fix is to get an add-on relay for the headlight. This problem is apparently not so isolated and I don't want a repeat and, possibly, ruin the entire switch.
Thanks for your input to keep me directed towards a solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts