BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High pitched whirling noise from engine???

Just noticed a high pitched, barely audible whirling noise at RPM's higher than idle.

The bike is an '02 K12RS.

No other noted issues.

Best heard when the bike is on the center stand.

Normal???

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
295 Posts
Loose exhaust header bolts and leaky connection to the block? Pin hole in exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
High pitched whirling sound? Camshaft chain or tensioner. My K100RS was making such noises when the tensioner liner wore out. Same with another rider I met as he was getting his bike diagnosed at a BMW shop. They mechanics were at a loss so I pulled him aside and told him what was up with his bike.:glasses

I had a few funny noises coming out of that area on my K1200RS. No wear at the tensioner but at 270,000 kms I did have chain slack and a little gears wear. Plus the chain was starting to rub in the guide between the cams. So? New to me complete assembly/gears,chain with less than 20K (miles), $50.00 US on fleabay and my bike is now quieter. And runs better with cam timing back to factory specs.:smile

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Will take bike into shop.

Going into the engine on my own is currently outside of my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chain tensioner was the first thing I thought of as well

I did mine. I thought it would be difficult, but it wasn't. Get a Climber guide and look through Youtube videos and it will take time and effort, but it is not that difficult.
I wrecked my bike and basically rebuilt the engine. The main takeaway I got from the experience is that it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. You may want to replace the rails and front crank oil seal while you are at it. Just make sure you set the valve cams and the crank properly to get the timing correct. the manual will take you through it.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
295 Posts
And the clutch housing 19x4 oring in the back. Get a viton one, not Buna-N. PM me for a free one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So being a procrastinator, never got it to the dealership but after riding a bit, the noise went away.

Might have been from lack of oil on cam chain from sitting in the garage this past winter?

:dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts