BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As with anything mechanical and used a lot it will need more maintenance. I recently posted about replacing the "sealed" output shaft bearing in my transmission. During that episode the plastic gear selector switch housing was falling apart from the heat, I repaired that without replacing it. The ABS ....that's a gimme at about 70,000, along with the rear main seal about same mileage that wipes the clutch out too from the oil leaking on it. Front wheel bearing recently replaced around 90,000 along with fork seals and boots. I've been having cruise control issues and after running the built-in diagnosis test, I found the cruise shut-off switch at the throttle body was not releasing as it should and found my throttle and cruise cables from the bar grips were starting to fray and the plastic sheath between the metal cable and outer housing was breaking down and bunching up, causing erratic sticking. Fortunately I found a really nice used/low-mileage seat of cables. BMW is quite proud of theirs, wanting a mere $90 just for the cruise cable.......bandits. Okay that's my latest "Things to look for on high mileage K1200RS's" suggestions. BTW- My bike is a 2002 K1200RS and I have a tick under 110,000miles on it. I bought it in 2005 with 9417miles on it so I have 43miles to go and I will have personally put 100,000 miles on. These bike will last but you must be vigilant with maintenance. Take the tupperware off at least every year to check things underneath. It's amazing how much heat it holds in, and heat destroys rubber and plastics over time. If I remember I'll get some pictures of the cruise control diagnostic procedure and post it so you can copy it and keep it in your shop manuals. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Cobbler. Good read. 145,000km here on my 2002. ABS issues have always been related to low fluid level in rear reservoir(s), and sometimes low battery voltage. Dealer always tells you otherwise !
Rear main was done at 128,000km (clutch plate was only 50% worn !)
Haven't done anything to the forks or front wheel bearings.
I'd like to see this bike hit 200,000km. At the rate I'm going (i.e. a mere 6K a year), I'll be in my mid '70's. That's a scary thought.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cobbler. Good read. 145,000km here on my 2002. ABS issues have always been related to low fluid level in rear reservoir(s), and sometimes low battery voltage. Dealer always tells you otherwise !
Rear main was done at 128,000km (clutch plate was only 50% worn !)
Haven't done anything to the forks or front wheel bearings.
I'd like to see this bike hit 200,000km. At the rate I'm going (i.e. a mere 6K a year), I'll be in my mid '70's. That's a scary thought.
I'm mid-60's now. as of this past December.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wait a minute... I'm confused with all this 60 and 70 years old stuff. Are you talking about old bikes with high mileage, or old riders with high mileage? 😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is both. Although I don't consider anything under 500,000km so far (I think I'm somewhere around 400,000 km), in 41 years of riding to be high mileage.
It was easier to knock off the K's when I was younger. And now split between 2 bikes, I'm not putting anywhere near 10,000km/yr on the K12RS.
Seems most of the guys I know with these bikes are well north of 50 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts