BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I will hit 82K miles on my '02 this weekend. I have done no major repairs, nada. (Not counting a knock over by errant cage driver, cosmetic) Of course I have gone thru brake pads, tires and such. Things I will need to do soon is replace the heated grips, they are worn down really bad, the right had the heating element broken, I have repaired it 3 times, time for new ones. Also my rear rotor will need replacing when it is due for rear brake pads. At 82K miles the stock pipe has a nice sound to it. Replaced throttle cables last year. All else is pretty good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
'04 K12rs

I've got 18,700 miles on my '04. It was new in Feb of '05, so she gets ridden almost daily. No problems whatsoever. It's cold as hell here in VA and it has no cold-related problems (like ECU). How did I ever live without heated grips? My Widder gloves seem to have crapped out and the grips are a life saver, even down into the mid 20's so far. All in all she's really rock solid. Granted, she's heavy but for me, this machine was custom-made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
K1100rs

don't know about the K1200RS but if it's anything like my K1100RS(99,640 on a 94)she'll be good to go a lot more then that,Just sold it to my Bro in law He'll get another 100,000 out of her eazy

·
Registered
250 Posts
32.000 in 23 months on my 03 GT.Replaced ECU and low beam headlight bulb.No other problems,knock on wood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
52,780 miles on a 03 GT. Only problem is heated grips are breaking up, rubber is just ripping apart.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
OK, more seriously...

...coming up on 72,000 miles on my 1999.

Low beam early on.

Shocks replaced with Ohlins at around 30,000.

Rear engine seal around 70,000.

That's about it.

Of course, lots of tires, oil changes, etc. On just my second front brake pads, third rear.

Do all my own service, with the exception of the rear seal and periodic Motronic checks.

Plan on rebulding the Ohlins some time this winter (they've gotten just a tad "bouncy"). Also ordered new coolant hoses (4). Figure 6 years is enough on hoses and it's cheap insurance.

So far the most reliable bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
70,000 miles on my wife's bike, just did the clutch and seals brought on by a leaking clutch slave cylinder.

30,000 miles on my bike. Fork seals replaced at 20,000 miles, also has a weeping timing cover (since 12,000mi) that I'm not going to worry about for now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
169,000 on a '98. Too many repairs to remember. Finally just replaced the engine and transmission from a rear-ended bike.

I don't think the K1200RS is a particularly reliable bike. Lots of seal problems, rear end, clutches, engine (pistons), shocks (ok, normal wear on that one), etc.

I still like the bike and just spent $2,500 to rebuild it.

So far (25,000 miles) I like the K1200S far better, but then, that's got its problems also. Maybe I'll go Japanese next time. Their cars are super reliable

Ken

·
Registered
486 Posts
2004 K-gt

16,000 miles in one year. Best mileage was 49mpg. Usualy mileage is 43-44mpg highway, 38-40 city.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got a lemon.

Purchased a 98 used in 2002 with 17000 kms on it.
Replaced both rads and thermostat
Heat grip controller replaced
Timing cover leak
Turn signal controller replaced
Timing cover leak again
Steering damper replaced
Rear brake seized on. Everything melted.
Timing cover leak again. Timing cover replaced
ABS system lights fail to reset. Computer indicates failed ABS computer. Part about to be ordered when suddenly the system does reset itself and ABS is working.

Current problems
Heat grips are not working again.
Fan does not come on.
Throttle return not working.

Owning a BMW has become an eye opener, not to mention my wallet.

PS. The odometer now reads 70,000 kms

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
re: lemon and grips

Wow! I think that's pretty unusual...makes me wonder how well the previous owner took care of it.
Anyway, 24,000miles on my '04....only had the ECU replaced under warranty.....average 42mpg.
You guys replacing your grips may want to try wrapping the new ones with tennis/racquetball grips....looks good....grips are fatter, softer and have good grip....I have 10,000 miles on mine so far and they show minimal wear....easily replaced if/when needed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
my K12RS milage

After 12 months of riding my '04, I have accumulated 23,500 miles.

I have so far replaced the ECU and burnt out the clutch. Replaced the rear shock with ohlin, still need to do the front and the steering damper. And the standard oil and tires.

Ride it like you stole it - that is what my service manager said, he had to retract that comment!!!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
A 2002 model with 48,000 miles (4 canadian summers).
Never got stuck on side of the road.
I did everything myself except the 1st valve adjustment
and the 1st ABS brake bleeding procedure.

Other than the required schedule filters (Oil, Air, fuel),
oil changes, and spark-plugs, I had to replace:

1) Rear brake pads 2 times (19,000 and 42,000 miles)

2) Low-beam headlight bulb once.

Other fixes:
--------------
1) Very minor weep on the front timing-chain cover. No need to fix now.
Will wait for scheduled timing-chain tensionner replacement.

2) Headlight groud wire melted. A fairly common problem for
those running on high beam during the day for long period.
Sometimes, also cause by using a higher wattage bulb.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Voxmagna, I initially let the shop do the maintenance. I have done my own since about 24K on the bike. The bike is really dependable, I was towed only once due to breaking a quick disconnect about 100 miles from home. previous thread discussed this. I consider that minor. Really no major problems. I run AMSOIL synthetic in everything, do oil and filter changes every 10K. Next summer I will most likely do the valve check and replace cam chain tensioner. I had shop do valve clearance check at 12K, since then no others, runs great.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I turned 73,00 on my 01 yesterday. The timing cover oil leak was fixed at the 1st service. I've done all work since. A couple years ago after a 2 up trip to Nova Scotia (just plain awful roads) the left fork seal was leaking. I replaced it, but it started leaking again. This spring my rear main seal started to leak. It's not that bad so I haven't done anything about it yet. It took 5,000 miles to use up the 1/2 quart of oil left over after the last oil change. It still runs like new, so a little oil leaking here and there isn't much to complain about. Remember the old saying IF IT'S GOT TIRES OR TITS SOONER OR LATER YOUR GOING TO HAVE TROUBLE WITH IT!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts