BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The worst has happened, I hit a deer while riding in the Michigan UP. I was traveling about 62 mph and the deer RAN into me. Causing the bike to slide, me to flip off and it killed the deer. Pretty scary event all told. I have some gruesome pictures. The entire right hand side of the bike is toast, the front of the bike is smashed, the fitting to the oil coiler was ripped off, and is spewed oil all down the road.

I am sore and beat up, Full ATGATT - but all me gear is trashed, helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. I had a Hein Gerike Tibmuktu jacket, and it looks like it was eaten by a shark. The entire right arm is destoyed and I have some scratches on my arm. First Gear pants, destroyed the left leg. Over all I consider myself pretty lucky to be in as good shape as I am. My friend riding behind me was shocked I stood up after rolling about 150 yards down the asphalt.

So the bike was towed to a shop in the UP, no BMW dealer anywhere. Progressive is supposed to call me tomorrow to start the claim process. I have the police report, lots of pictures, and a bike 500 miles away. Any input anyone has to things to watch our for from Progressive or hauling or repair would be appreciated.

The guy on the phone said they might want to say it is totaled. Is that good or bad? How will I know if the front fork is screwed up? The deer was running so fast, that after we hit, it still slide 100 feet off the other side of the road! Does the comprehensive insurance cover gear? Electronics?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2004 K1200GT - 11,500 miles - about every available aftermarket mod possible - GPS, Sat radio, Radar, barbacks, Piaa lights, auto com.

Casey

·
Registered
207 Posts
Screw the bike....your vertical! Brother, if it is half as bad as you say, then your lucky as hell to be o.k. Money is money. You can always get/make more.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sound like there is good chance bike is totaled. Yes your insurance should cover all of your gear. The gear is safety equipment. I have had my gear replaced when a car hit me in 2001. I would eat that dam deer just out of spite.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Glad you're ok, bet you're sore today though.
When my '03 was totaled by an inattentive, untrained and unskilled HD rider, Progressive was great. The guy is a doctor, and only had 5/10/5 coverage on a one year old bike! I turned the claim into my progressive policy and got great response, had a check within 10 days. My bike went end for end down the road, every plastic piece was broken or scratched. Like yours, the oil pump connection was broken off, and the BMW dealer said the motor was shot because it was still running with the oil pumping out. The repair estimate was over $17K! Progressive paid for the bike and the accessories. All my safety gear (suit, helmet, boots & gloves) was replaced in addition to the basic policy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Casey, glad to hear you're OK. Yeah, that time of the year when deer start acting a little crazy. Hope your insurance gets you squared away soon! Fall colors are starting up in UP and Northern WI. Hope you mend soon and get some more ride time before winter sets in.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A friend of mine just totalled his bike. The frame was bent. They paid for his aftermarket items and clothing/protective gear. He actually made out pretty good overall. If you have receipts/cancelled checks for everything you bought for it, then get them together. Make a comprehensive list.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
531 Posts
glad to hear you're OK, like others have said the bike can be replaced, but your life can't so bravo for all the protective gear you had on. the only downside to totaling the bike is you'll probably lose money depending on how much you owed. insurance companies normally don't pay you retail when they total a vehicle so you'll likely get something much less unless you have gap insurance.

·
Registered
796 Posts
glad to hear your ok!, first thing is to field dress the deer, dont be surprised if all you get is stew meat and jerky tho! I have progressive also and my policy will cover gear and acc up to 1500 I think. Also towing and a motel room if my memory serves me right.Get your copy and see what it says, I wouldnt just believe the agent.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad you're ok

Dude, think of how fortunate you are!!! I'm so glad there's a happy ending to it all. I'm not sure if you stuff was armored or not but you might want to consdier motorport kevlar jacket and pants when you replace your stuff. It's pretty heavily armored and allegedly won't rip during pavement surfing. Might spare you some bruising during the tumbles.

I'm very interested in pics of the deer, your bike and the gear. It's reading forums like this that convinced me that ATGATT was the only way to ride.

Again, glad your ok,

Gravity

·
Registered
49 Posts
Holy Deer!!

Consider yourself very lucky, I grew up in Wisconsin, and have totalled 2 cars from hitting deer!!
I have never heard the "AGATT" term, which is correct, the only time I crashed on the street, I went off into the woods at about 70mph, hitting some sand on a blind 30mph corner, I didnt wear my Triumph leather pants, but had a perforated Joe Rocket jacket, and perforated gloves. I took out a snow marker which cut my leg but sliced the main wiring harness!!! Could have been my leg?? Also, my left hand outer knuckle was smashed between the ground and the clutch lever. I was wearing simple perforated gloves with no hard carbon fiber protection!!! I was a dumbass!!
I learned my lesson, if I would have had my normal riding gear on, I would have stood up without a scratch!!!
But hitting a dear and walking away!!! Better take your "Gaurdian Angels" for a nice vacation!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

The more I talk to people, the more lucky I feel - trust me that is a contradiction as I don't FEEl that lucky right now. Stiff and sore 3 days later, but overall pretty good shape.

ATGATT - All the Gear All the Time, read that online somewhere and that has been my moto for a while now. I will post a couple of pictures in the next day or so.

Progressive has been great so far, they have been very responsive, they are going to look at the bike on Thursday and decide if it is totaled or not. It was paid off so no worry there, I also had $1000 on accessories covered, word of note for others, if you have a bunch of gadgets on your bike, make sure to raise your limit. The agent said they would max pay out what the NADA present value of that bike would be ~$12.5 or so!!! That got my attention!! He said if the repair cost is 75% of that value it would be totaled, no mater if the frame was bent or not.

I am having some mental issues about long term riding, this really shook me up. I was doing everything right for a change, driving the speed limit (pretty much 62 in 55 is close), ATGATT, left lane, left position, alert, hands on bars - still no reaction time to stop or swerve. I understand sh#t happens, but if I was not on a bike...it could have been worse on me...how do I continue to ride with this risk?

I have always told myself to be as prepared as possible, take the MSF training class, wear the gear, drive sensibly and nothing will happen...now what.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KCD911 said:
The worst has happened, I hit a deer while riding in the Michigan UP. I was traveling about 62 mph and the deer RAN into me. Causing the bike to slide, me to flip off and it killed the deer. Pretty scary event all told. I have some gruesome pictures. The entire right hand side of the bike is toast, the front of the bike is smashed, the fitting to the oil coiler was ripped off, and is spewed oil all down the road.

I am sore and beat up, Full ATGATT - but all me gear is trashed, helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. I had a Hein Gerike Tibmuktu jacket, and it looks like it was eaten by a shark. The entire right arm is destoyed and I have some scratches on my arm. First Gear pants, destroyed the left leg. Over all I consider myself pretty lucky to be in as good shape as I am. My friend riding behind me was shocked I stood up after rolling about 150 yards down the asphalt.

So the bike was towed to a shop in the UP, no BMW dealer anywhere. Progressive is supposed to call me tomorrow to start the claim process. I have the police report, lots of pictures, and a bike 500 miles away. Any input anyone has to things to watch our for from Progressive or hauling or repair would be appreciated.

The guy on the phone said they might want to say it is totaled. Is that good or bad? How will I know if the front fork is screwed up? The deer was running so fast, that after we hit, it still slide 100 feet off the other side of the road! Does the comprehensive insurance cover gear? Electronics?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2004 K1200GT - 11,500 miles - about every available aftermarket mod possible - GPS, Sat radio, Radar, barbacks, Piaa lights, auto com.

Casey
Bikes are material things...God must have been on your side, the ratio of survival on hitting a deer or mosse on a bike is not good for the rider.

I'm happy to hear that you are OK

Do I see a 2006/07 GT in your future?

·
Registered
796 Posts
KCD911 said:
The more I talk to people, the more lucky I feel - trust me that is a contradiction as I don't FEEl that lucky right now. Stiff and sore 3 days later, but overall pretty good shape.

ATGATT - All the Gear All the Time, read that online somewhere and that has been my moto for a while now. I will post a couple of pictures in the next day or so.

Progressive has been great so far, they have been very responsive, they are going to look at the bike on Thursday and decide if it is totaled or not. It was paid off so no worry there, I also had $1000 on accessories covered, word of note for others, if you have a bunch of gadgets on your bike, make sure to raise your limit. The agent said they would max pay out what the NADA present value of that bike would be ~$12.5 or so!!! That got my attention!! He said if the repair cost is 75% of that value it would be totaled, no mater if the frame was bent or not.

I am having some mental issues about long term riding, this really shook me up. I was doing everything right for a change, driving the speed limit (pretty much 62 in 55 is close), ATGATT, left lane, left position, alert, hands on bars - still no reaction time to stop or swerve. I understand sh#t happens, but if I was not on a bike...it could have been worse on me...how do I continue to ride with this risk?

I have always told myself to be as prepared as possible, take the MSF training class, wear the gear, drive sensibly and nothing will happen...now what.
How to continue? Ahh the question.Maybe you shouldnt ride anymore.Depends on what it means to you. Risk versus what you get out of it.Been there, thought about that, tho not for long.Both knees have problems, 2 surgurys on one, been told I need back surgury, a lot of aches , pains, and scars, and riding and crashing bikes play a dam big part in all of it.But for me, I have felt more alive, more "centered"than when I'm on a bike. It's a thing I do well, it "fits" me. I suppose if I found something else that grabbed me like this I might think about not riding.But where I havent done everything, so far it all pales to riding a bike.It truly is one of those " if I have to explain, you wont understand" things.I dont do it cause its cool, tho it is, I dont do it so others can see me, as I ride alone mostly, I dont do it for a lot of reasons. I do it because its medicine for my soul.And like anything of value it comes with risks.So does life.The day you hit the deer, you could have been killed at work,shot by a robber,hit by a car,fell off your deck, drowned in your own vomit.Life has no guarantees, no milage warrantee, no lemon laws.Its what you make it, what you get out of it, which equal to what you put in it.If this isnt the thing that the risk=what you get out of it, walk away.But dont give up, find something else, if its your family,charity work, your work,something.Tomorrow your another day closer to death, it is coming, it will find you.Give it the finger and do what drives you. I wish you luck in healing, in body, mind and soul.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Like everyone else has said, screw the bike for now. You are very lucky (and smart with ATGATT) to get up and walk away with minor injuries. Most riders with "Forest Rat" (deer) encounters would be lucky to use a computer while healing up in a hospital bed. I'm happy to see the rider win and the deer lose. Take care of yourself and the odds are the bike will be totaled. There are plenty of bikes out there and no spare human body parts. Buy another bike and a few beers and thank the man upstairs. Glad to hear you're OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jimm = You sound exactly like what I would have said last week. I normally ride alone, it is not about being seen, is about doing. I love the K engine...I watched Rossi pull in a 2nd last night on Tivo...the bug is not gone...the dark side has a firm grip...more to come

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures - nothing bad

Here is a couple of pictures of the bike, I am not posting the dead deer, or any of my cuts and scrapes.

Thanks for everyones coments, I am feeling much better today, thinking about riding again!

Attachments

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too smacked a deer this summer.

Only it was in my car. Regardless, I often travel the same route on my bike and thought about how much worse that would have been.

I even thought about getting rid of the bike...buying a Honda S2000 or some other car toy instead.

The only advice I can offer is that you do get "over" the fear, somewhat, over time.

You also drive BELOW the speed limit on those roads you are unsure of...especially at night.

I hope you too make a decision with which you are comfortable. I kept the bike (later upgrading from a K1200RS to a new K1200S), did not stop riding, but still think of those dumb deer every time I am out.

Good Luck, Friend.

Chuck V ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts