BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a hole in my rear tire. Had to ride it home about 5 miles putt-putting at 40mph the whole way.

Is this a tire that can be repaired? The whole is sort of in the middle of the tire. It’s not a small leak but a hissing instant leak. My experience says it should be fixable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a hole in my rear tire. Had to ride it home about 5 miles putt-putting at 40mph the whole way.

Is this a tire that can be repaired? The whole is sort of in the middle of the tire. It’s not a small leak but a hissing instant leak. My experience says it should be fixable.
Did you ride with tyre flat or with very low pressure at all? If so Fried Chicken you have fried tyre and you may have overheated it

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
The captain is correct, riding that far on a flat or low tire has overheated it and damaged it way beyond safe use. I saw a section of a tire that had been ridden for 1/2 mile on the freeway to a safe pull over. This was at a seminar given by Michelin tire engineers. The inside sidewalls were seriously cracked. The tire was trash. Do yourself a big one and buy a new tire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just got it plugged. If the sidewall is trashed, it should become apparent as soon as I ride it. The tire was completely flat when I rode it, although above 40mph I think the tire lifted itself up. When I got home the tire was hot, but not so hot I couldn’t touch it. Inspection by the shop that did the patch didn’t visually ascertain any damages.

I will obviously ride carefully, paying extra attention that everything in the rear is ok.

What are the torque specs for the rear wheel?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
60 Nm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Fried_Chicken: Glad you plan to be careful with your plugged tire. Sidewall weakness could emerge over time, not just during your first few rides. Give the sidewalls a good thorough look as often as you can, looking for bulges or any other irregularities. Ride safe!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Fried_Chicken: Glad you plan to be careful with your plugged tire. Sidewall weakness could emerge over time, not just during your first few rides. Give the sidewalls a good thorough look as often as you can, looking for bulges or any other irregularities. Ride safe!
That’s good advice, I will keep a lookout. The single-sided swingarm makes checking one side very easy (also removing and installing the rear wheel, something that’s come in handy twice now). I took it for a ride and didn’t notice anything in terms of issues. I also told my mechanic who patched it what happened and he didn’t see any issues while patching the tire.

All that said, the tire is about halfway through its life (insane considering it has only ~1500 miles on it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts