BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 98 RS. Last fall, I discovered a hole in my right saddlebag, apparently worn through by the tire. I replaced the back of the bag, thinking that the mounting hooks were excessively worn. Just completed a trip and discovered a large hole worn in the new back! I have Avon Storms on the bike, 180/55 on the rear. It appears that tire is too wide to run with the bags on. Anyone else had this experience? How did you fix the problem? Thanks,

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
IIRC, 98 RS's used the 170 tire, not the 180. My '03 GT uses the 180 tire, and the right side case has rubbed, not much, but enough to be visible. I've got 85k on the bike, almost all of those miles with the cases on the bike. The mounts are a bit loose. I think the rubbing occurred when I had a pretty heavy load in the cases. I've also had folks riding behind me say the bags move when I'm riding on a rough road.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you check the mounting bolts for the bracket? My '01 spit 1 out on a trip from Maine and the bag tilted down and in, causing the rub and subsequent hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts