BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I would like to get hold of a a well kept 750/4 preferably early 70s, K2.
They are extremely rare over here now and some guys here are starting to import them from the U.S. to resell here.
Can any of you tell me the likelihood of me being able to source a good quality example in the US and if so what sort of price am I likely to pay.
I figure if I can get my airfares and freightcosts included with the bike for around the same money as they are selling for here I can make an adventure of it.
Your feedback will be appreciated. (maybe)

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
what do these bikes sell for where you live???? it's hard to believe after spending airfare, lodging, food, and shipping costs you wouldn't just be better off buying the bike at home. craigslist and ebay are probably your best bets or you may try finding some honda discussion board and posting a WTB add.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be right, thats why Im asking.

The best one currently online here is a US import and he wants $7,600 thats about US$6,000.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My current city bike has the same color scheme. 74 CB 360. I'm hoping to add another CB or KZ to the garage over the winter.
I look through Craigslist regularly for these bikes. Sometimes there's lots, sometimes not. I've found the best posts and deals in the smaller outlying areas, not in the major cities. I'm in Chicago. If I look at CList in Chicago, there usually isn't much. But if I look on CList in southbend, IND, Madison, WI, Kenosha WI, Champaign IL, etc. there are usually some really kickass bikes. All of those towns are 1-3 hour easy drives from me.
Same goes for San Diego searches, not great. But surrounding areas have had good posts. (My brother in law lives there).
As far as price, $500-$3000.00 depending. The KZ's are a little pricier than the CB's
I'll help if I can.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AugWest said:
My current city bike has the same color scheme. 74 CB 360. I'm hoping to add another CB or KZ to the garage over the winter.
I look through Craigslist regularly for these bikes. Sometimes there's lots, sometimes not. I've found the best posts and deals in the smaller outlying areas, not in the major cities. I'm in Chicago. If I look at CList in Chicago, there usually isn't much. But if I look on CList in southbend, IND, Madison, WI, Kenosha WI, Champaign IL, etc. there are usually some really kickass bikes. All of those towns are 1-3 hour easy drives from me.
Same goes for San Diego searches, not great. But surrounding areas have had good posts. (My brother in law lives there).
As far as price, $500-$3000.00 depending. The KZ's are a little pricier than the CB's
I'll help if I can.
Cheers, I did a quick search on CList last night in LA as thats the closest air destination from here. Your right, there was only one quality bike but it was a fully original 69 with 18000 miles on it. He wants $2900 so if a couple of grand is the mark i might be able to put a plan together.
Thanks for the info and the offer. :teeth

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, this is Robin the BikeGuy

I used to own a silver and blue CB750F Honda. It was a great bike. I would put a picture on the site but it was so long ago that's old school and I don't have a digital picture.

I had a full sized fairing on the bike, factory. It was a great bike. I used to ride the canyons real hard on that thing and took some nice trips on it. By what I see here on the forum, those bikes have a pretty good value now I guess.

I agree, I think looking on the internet is your best way of finding one - craigslist or eBay. You must really like that bike, if you're willing to pay the money for it. It is definitely a classic.

Take care.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chaos said:
If money was not an issue, I'd go here http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/restore.html
The 1st 7000 750s had sandcast blocks, and this guy
restores them and only them to concours standards.
If it was going into the pool room I reckon these would actaully be a reasonable investment at $30k. If they are ground up full rebuilds with original honda parts as they state these bikes will only appreciate.
I want to ride any bikes I own, it wont be a commuter but it will get a run now and then. Unlike the wife and she costs way more than that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
grifscoots said:
A run now and then? Like, run the ever loving snot out of it?
The wife? I dont think there is any left!

·
Registered
289 Posts
grifscoots said:
Back in the day that was the hottest thing going. I remember my lust as I rode a 1963 Triumph TR6C that I had rebuilt.
And I started riding one in the early 70s after I left a Triumph TR for dead on a back road in Iowa. Didn't leak oil, would drain the gas through the carbs into the sump if you forgot to close the petcock, didn't have to carry a file to dress the points if they pitted at an inopportune time, had electric start. Other than the fact it handled like a pig it was a pretty cool bike.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
mjptexas said:
And I started riding one in the early 70s after I left a Triumph TR for dead on a back road in Iowa. Didn't leak oil, would drain the gas through the carbs into the sump if you forgot to close the petcock, didn't have to carry a file to dress the points if they pitted at an inopportune time, had electric start. Other than the fact it handled like a pig it was a pretty cool bike.
When I rebuilt my Triumph, I redid all the electrics not using OEM. I wonder why?

I also used a slide carb. No battery, kick start and it was real reliable if you could live with it vibrating valve cover adjustment caps off and into oblivion.

I really wanted the Honda 750 so bad, but couldn't afford one then. Now that I can, I don't really want one, though I still think they're kewl. After riding the GT, they'd be a bit underpowered.

·
Registered
796 Posts
grifscoots said:
When I rebuilt my Triumph, I redid all the electrics not using OEM. I wonder why?

I also used a slide carb. No battery, kick start and it was real reliable if you could live with it vibrating valve cover adjustment caps off and into oblivion.

I really wanted the Honda 750 so bad, but couldn't afford one then. Now that I can, I don't really want one, though I still think they're kewl. After riding the GT, they'd be a bit underpowered.
Put an 840 or a 900 kit in one with a cam and a set of headers and they really liven up! Lots of speed parts out there for them.They use the old K's for 1/4 midget racing ( I think its !/4) Stick a good clutch in it, with a one or two tooth counter sprocket and they flat run.Still handle like crap and the brakes fade rather quickly lol

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a 75 model in 77/78 with twin disc front end and had a 16 inch rear wheel fitted. The only cooler bike at the time was the Kwaka 900 but it still had plenty of grunt and street cred at the time.
Im just looking for something that i can tinker with a little and enjoy a little nostalgia when I ride it.
If I want to go quick, the GT will do that for me, one of these old girls will just be a bit of fun and might transport me back to the 70s on the journey to the destination.
Ive attached another nice pic of a restored 69.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
ya'll are sick :rotf:

my first bike was a 1971/72 K1 500-4. What a bike, put 12k on it in 6 months while going to hi school and working full time.

parents never would let me have one, until my sister told them i joined the usmc, they must have figured if i was gonna get killed in nam i might as well try it first on a bike :dunno:

did i say, what a bike?? indestructable. My cousin still laughs about the time I took it dirt riding in the hills of MI, along with him and his 360 yammie enduro and the other guys' 250 bultaco...and I kept up! man was i sore and I was in extreme good shape back then too.

my dad was, ahem, kind enuff to take over the payments when I left for bootcamp, he commuted to detroit from utica on that thing for a year or two and still sold it for good money. its the only way my mom let him have a bike, trickery was involved I do believe:)

nowadays its hard to walk in the dirt much less ride :rotf:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
grifscoots said:
Lawzy Andrew, you are smoothe killing me here. Dredging up memories of 750's, the 70's and firm, young breasts.
MMMMMM, Yep, all of that, firm, plentiful and a herbal aroma with some Steppenwolfe playin in my head!
What a f$&*kin blast it was and I didnt even know!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts