BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What replacements are there for the "beep beep" stock horn on an 04 GT? I prefer a direct fit option if there is one.....with no prefab of new bracket etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just replaced my stock horn last night with a Hi and Low note pair of Fiamms from Harbor Freight, cost was $9.95 each. Each unit is 132 decibels and the pair is louder than an individual horn. Installation is easy- just attach one unit where the original was and hang the second one with a metal strip from the first one; connect the original wiring to the new one and use two wires about 5 or 6 inches long to connect the two horns together. I've made this upgrade to several bikes in the last few years and didn't need a new wiring harness.

You can search the archives and find additional info plus an air horn that was recently installed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Air horn

I replaced my horn with a high / low pair from Pirate. However, after that i came across a VERY small air horn, which fills the bill great. At this very moment i do not have the name in front of me. If you send an e mail to me at - [email protected], i will be sure to get you the name.
It was also discussed on the American Thunderbike forum if you wish to look there right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn on my bike, which is the loudest horn I have found.

It scares the neighbors.

It did require making a bracket, though, so does not qualify.

Details at:
http://www.skene.org/K1200RS/horn/index_horn.htm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Air Horn

Now that is a horn. What did you have to do as far as wiring?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Were do you get such a horn

The Nautilus Horn sounds great. I asked Google to find a place that sells these and came up with Zip. Were did you get yours?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Got the horn now....but need a bracket

I bought the Stebel Nautilus, but now could use some more first hand info. How did you fab the bracket and where did you put it....kind of tight up there in front.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have added a diagram of the brackets I made to the orginial website describing the mounting of the Stebel horn on my bike.

You can see this at:

The brackets were made from 1" x 1" aluminum angle, and the spacer was made from 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum square tube. Tools needed include a drill, hacksaw and file.

The horn is mounted in the same hole as the original. There is just enough room. My bike already uses a horn relay, so I kept the wiring the same.

You can get the aluminum at your local builder's supply, or at an industrial supplier such as www.mcmaster.com, or www.use-enco.com.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's great how-to info. Thanks!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nautilus horn is definitely the best - I got one from Nipppy Norman's website (http://www.nippynormans.com/). I fitted it to original bracket and wiring but had to move bracket and attach it to a screwhole at bottom of speedo so facing downwards. Easy to do and fits really well but had to remove left hand fairing to do the job (this took longer than fititng horn)

·
Registered
152 Posts
The end of the parentheses kills the link

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks a million!

jskene1 said:
I installed a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn on my bike, which is the loudest horn I have found.
Details at: http://www.skene.org/K1200RS/horn/index_horn.htm
I have a small, single trumpet air horn thats OK, better than stock certainly, but I've always been disappointed with it.

THANK YOU jskene1 for posting the above data, and certainly for the information, photos and sound playback on your site. I ordered one from Twisted Throttle a few seconds after reading about yours. Just the kind of usable info that makes this site worthwhile!

·
Registered
82 Posts
LEB Italian Loud Horns

Hi Bimmies
Just got my K1200RS out of the shop, who install a pair of high/low LEB Italian Loud Horns....holly c*ap! Them horns are LOUD!.
Great ....can't wait to blast the cages when they make the attack moves...

Plastics

·
Registered
50 Posts
jskene1 said:
I have added a diagram of the brackets I made to the orginial website describing the mounting of the Stebel horn on my bike.

You can see this at:

The brackets were made from 1" x 1" aluminum angle, and the spacer was made from 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum square tube. Tools needed include a drill, hacksaw and file.

The horn is mounted in the same hole as the original. There is just enough room. My bike already uses a horn relay, so I kept the wiring the same.

You can get the aluminum at your local builder's supply, or at an industrial supplier such as www.mcmaster.com, or www.use-enco.com.
and Rolf

when you wired up your horn did you have to run extra wires from the battery or did it work with st standard wires?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Stebel Horn!

I just finished the installation of my new Stebel Nautilus horn, not too bad a job either, as I was replacing a little single-trumpet air horn.

I can tell you this about the compact little Nautilus model... It's the loudest horn I've ever heard! I believe this sumbitch would blow out the windows in a car running alongside.

Why BMW sells motorcycles with jokes for horns is beyond me. Maybe they're OK in the compact little villages that litter old Europe, but here in the big-sky country we need a real noisemaker to wake up Ma and Pa when they come drifting over into our lane.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Had an air horn once, but the spout filled up with water and the thin metal diaphragm corroded away. Air horns for marine use are better made than auto products and usually have stainless steel innards.

Yes, I don't know why BMW who could be champions of bike safety, fit skimpy horns and a control so illogical in positioning, mirrors without a blind spot curve and a rear tail light that is pretty dim. All these simple things to do, whereas cage owners are spoilt for choice with multiple air bags, side impact crash protection, impact resistant fenders, decent lights including bright led for braking, ABS and seat belts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts