BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
This looks like great news! Man, I gotta work on my sources. I usually get this stuff before anyone else. They've really been slipping lately. :D

So, you gonna tell where you got this? I thought not. LOL!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ripped off again...

So as usual, Canadians are getting ripped off. $18,740 US works out to $21, 878 Cdn but we have the pleasure of paying over $25K Cdn (before options and taxes).

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Mark,

According to the BMW USA and BMW Canada websites, the same thing happens with the R1200RT.

R1200RT (USD): $17,040 MSRP
R1200RT (CAD): $23,250 MSRP

I also checked the K1200LT as well..

K1200LT (USD): $19,990 MSRP
K1200LT (CAD): $28,450 MSRP

·
Registered
910 Posts
sincGT said:
So as usual, Canadians are getting ripped off. $18,740 US works out to $21, 878 Cdn but we have the pleasure of paying over $25K Cdn (before options and taxes).
Mark,

You know something is out of sync here (pun intended) <g> And, there must be some kind of lag on Canadian pricing on just about everything.

Here's why I say that. We ski most of the winter in Whistler. A few years back if we exchanged a U.S. dollar for a Canadian dollar we got back $1.40 Canadian. Today we get back about $1.15.

Two years ago, it was less expensive to purchase just about anything in Canada vs. the same product in the U.S.

This fall, though, it cost $200 more to purchase the same pair of skis in my favorite ski shop in Whistler (been dealing with the same great guy for years) than it would have to purchase the skis at REI in Bellingham.

Well, I have to tell you, my loyalty to the shop won out and I bit the bullet and bought the skis from the Whistler ski shop.

But, on a big ticket item like Beemer motorcycles, that $200 dollars translates into almost $3,000. Not acceptable. On top of that, to add insult to injury, PST and GST adds up to a total of 14 percent taxes, compared to 9 percent in Washington State.

You know, it would almost be worth it to you, next time you purchase a bike, if the this gap still exists to get it in Seattle and find some place to garage it in Port Angeles, license it here, and take the ferry back and forth - and, I'm not just kidding, here.

It could be that the strong Canadian dollar will have a downward effect on pricing; or, it could mean that U.S. prices vs. the Euro will start to creep up and that doesn't sound good for either Canadians or the U.S.

Miles

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tom, thanks for posting this key piece of information on pricing. The equipment packages are kind of interesting. For instance, looking at equipment package #3 at $1800, you save $170 over the same features purchased individually.

Looks to me like quite an interesting bike fully loaded. Almost like purchasing a two wheel BMW Z4 roadster at half the price, but twice as fast!

Miles

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Did I miss something Miles? I couldn't tie the option packages to parts. Am I to presume the $1,800 one includes the CD player, radio, etc. plus the other subsets? Or, is there NO radio/CD option?

Regards

·
Registered
910 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Did I miss something Miles? I couldn't tie the option packages to parts. Am I to presume the $1,800 one includes the CD player, radio, etc. plus the other subsets? Or, is there NO radio/CD option?

Regards
John,

If you look down at the very bottom of the price list, you will see "option pacakge #3".

That package, which is the most comprehensive one, includes the following individual options and is listed as part of the package: 320, 416, 518, 538, 431.

320 = Xenon Light

416 = ESA

518 = Heated Seat

538 = cruise control

431 = on board computer

If you don't want one or more of the options in the package, presumably you can choose and pick which individual options you want rather than going for option package #3. I don't think you would bother with either option package #1 or #2. The first one is just the on-board computer and the second one does not include cruise control, if I'm reading all ths correctly.

There doesn't seem to be an option for a radio in all this. There is a a fairing compartment on the right side of the bike; don't know whether that might allow for a radio or not. At this point, it seems they are not going to offer a radio like on on the R12RT.

My guess is that most dealers will "order" these bikes with option pacakge #3; and, if they have enough inventory, maybe one or two w/o options - to offer a lower priced GT.

Last week, I stopped by my dealer to pick up a qt. of oil for the ST, (an ever present need) and the salesmanager said the "order" information so far has only been received from BMW USA for the new Adventure GS; nothing on either the GT or the R12S.

You might want to print out the price sheet provided here and huddle with your dealer to make sure that when the orders go in that he specifies the bike in the color you want and the options you prefer. My guess is that it would easier to specify the color and just get option package #3.

This is all speculation on my part, assuming all the information we have here is correct. These dealers, by the way, are looking at the first ones hitting the showroom floor around June. Hope it's sooner than that.

Miles

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Actually I saw that but am a bit perplexed; seems eljeffe or someone else, I may have to look, posted a similar part/price list and there was some exorbitant amount of money charged for the Radio/Cd option . . . seems I remember $790.00. I could be wrong. Not that big a deal to me other than it does hike the price up a tad.

BMW Daytona tends to order everything on their high(er) end bikes as I guess the clentele just buy them that way. So, they already know I will take it with everything. The higher windshield seems interesting.

Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey John...I've got a radio/tape in my RT and it's near worthless. On the other hand, I play my ipod on the bike a great deal, except when I want to do some high-speed boogies on the S. I think the best combination is an ipod (either directly or thru something like an Autocom) then if you want radio, do XM or Sirrus and forget about whats offer by BMW. Anyway, who wants to lug around CDs when you can just load them into your ipod? Besides, not as much room for "freight" as you have on the LT :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Actually Doug, I have an LT with all of the bells and whistles. To date have never loaded the CD changer (not even sure it works heh heh). I have a Garmin 376C that I will use on the GT with XM radio and weather. I also have an iPod that either goes thru VOICE II OR sometimes just use the the FM Modulator. To date have not not really listened to much music etc. on the bike . . . figure better keep my attention on the road. In reality I will most likely listen to XM via a good set of ear buds but was just curious . . . btw, notice on the old price list of $1450 + 390, almost 2 grand and that really isn't worth it!

Regards

·
Registered
66 Posts
It may be that the Radio/CD is a dealer-installed option only, and thus not on the factory-installed option list. BMW has done that before with some options (like the center stand on the S). In fact, I believe they've handled the music systems on some models that way in the past- with only the "radio prep" being factory installed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does the price include delivery charges? What about setup?

One dealer, whom I refrain from mentioning, charged more for documentation than my car dealer did! Better yet the charged a silly amount for "setup"...

So now all we need to know is the price the dealer is paying for each option

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
No radio on the K1200GT. No room. Well, at least for the first batch. There are electronics behind the panel where they would put the radio controls. I think the previous reference to radio options was pure speculation. I am waiting for confirmation of Tommy's posting of the price list and available options. So as far as I can tell, this is all speculation at this point. I sure hope Tommy is right (praying). :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
jpalamaro said:
This is the post I was referring to. Guess it was $390 not $790. I didn't see if the P/N's match.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399

Other than spelling SUPPLIMENTAL TOOL KIT (SUPPLEMENTAL) incorrectly, looks kind of similar!
John,

You know, that link back to Tom's original price list might have been the R12RT price list with the words K1200GT typed in where it was supposed to say R1200RT. Just guessing. So, the radio option would be for the RT.

It looks like the price list Tom scanned in on this thread is the real thing; but as recently as last Friday, the salesmanager at Southsound said he didn't have any order guides or pricing on the GT. But, my guess is this list is the real thing.

Reading one of your posts further on, it looks like you're all set on what you want to do and are going with some hi-tech, i.e. satellite radio and the i-pod.

Miles

·
Registered
24 Posts
No Radio? That seals the deal.. I have to wait for the next generation LT. I am little concerned about what the price of that one will be.

I currently own an LT and would like more punch..50hp more would be nice. This is my first bike with a stereo and I have to say it is one of my favorite features. I love riding at 70 to 80 mile an hour singing my favorite tunes.

I know you can use ear plugs, but I ride 2 up a lot and it is much nicer not having to deal with wires and having my wife listening to the same music. Once I plug my IPOD into the CD port, I will have 3,0000 songs available..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Got to tell you, at $20K for the new KGT, I think I will buy a low mileage 2003 K1200LT (Black, of course) and put the Ft. Worth rack on it for $12K.

Then after a year or two, I'll see what is going on with the GT pricing (as long as the initial "bugs" are out).

Mike

By the way, that extra 50 hp will get your arse (and license) in trouble. Take it from me.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The radio not any big deal . . . I think I used mine on the LT 1/2 dozen times or so. I use it when working in the garage for music as it has a decent sound and since I always leave the bikes on the charger don't worry abt battery.

Boy, if that was the RT price on the radio hefty little chunk of dough! Don't want to even know what I paid for the model that I have/LT with radio, CD, voice ii COMM, yechhh.

FYI as you are aware I am not retired but I had to invoke my IBM retirement since am 65 this month. Uncle Sam will suck up most of it but I told my wife she can, along with Social security have it as a monthly allowance. She liked that, not sure why, she never worries about money anyways. Ah the price you pay for a trophy wife (just joking) we're married 41 years this month! She's a hell of a woman to have stayed with me this long!

Chat with you soon,

Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Decisions?

Decisions, decisions!! I guess the new GT is growing on me, but I still don't know how my K1200S fits in to all this. I am almost thinking of finding a good deal on a 03-04, low milage RT for a year or so until a few of the new GT's show up on the used market. I just can't see myself giving up the K1200S, and getting hosed, money wise, to trade up to the GT. I remember when the new 1200RT came out, you had to stand in line for them and pay full price! Now there are great deals to be had on them and I have seen some used ones already on the market! I guess a demo ride will be the deciding factor! I just don't like the low speed sloppy feel of the RT, and the boxer is just a bit under powered, but does have some character!
Anyone know when they will have demo rides for the new GT??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts