BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
The hot stat is certified for all k bikes from 2009 and up. Mine , 2013 k1300S started doing it after a year old. Symptom - riding the bike comes up to temp. Sitting in traffic, stalled bike and would not re start , like battery was dead. 5 mins later started like normal. Then was riding and had to stop for fuel. Attempted restart and nada- like a dead battery. Waited 5 mins and started like normal. This is a know issue but not an automatic fix. Procedure was to bring it in to dealer, then they get it up to temp. Then they test the voltage drop at starter, forgot what the #s are but mine showed unacceptable drop,
Then BMW authorises warrantee fix. When I brought my bike in it was already hot. Tech checked it immediately and said yep, the fix is an additional heavier gauge wired in parallel to OEM from relay to starter. Apparently the oem wire is too small and when she gets got the voltage drops simulating a low battery. Had it done last month and it does make a big difference. Hot or cold she turns over immediately.

· Registered
480 Posts
Yes, I supposed one could that, but why not let BMW do it when it is free and then it is their parts and labor. I do oil changes and farkles just don't strip it down for fun. Rather ride.

· Registered
480 Posts
^. This is essentially what a dealer will do. The HOT START harness is run in parallel to oem wires. Method according to BMW to dealer is to measure the drop in volts from top to bottom. As the oem wire and surround get hot the volts drop to starter mimicking a low battery which is not the case. If orig wires were of a thicker gauge this wouldn't have been an issue. Typical corporate save a few pennies here n tHere and pay for it down the road. :dunno:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts