BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, a bigger wire. Why not just put one in next time you take your whole bloody bike apart! Preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, I supposed one could that, but why not let BMW do it when it is free and then it is their parts and labor. I do oil changes and farkles just don't strip it down for fun. Rather ride.

·
Registered
677 Posts
pmorritt said:
Yes, I supposed one could that, but why not let BMW do it when it is free and then it is their parts and labor. I do oil changes and farkles just don't strip it down for fun. Rather ride.
Yes. I forgot to turn on my sarcasm indicator on that one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I resurrected this thread for 2 reasons...

1) A couple of people have recently mentioned it, the symptoms at least..
2) I just did it myself.

On the way back from the dealer (yea yea I know) :( , I turned it off outside the garage and went to restart it and two slow turns died off to nothing.. At gas stations it would be slow but would eventually fire up. Since I'm heading to Newfoundland and Labrador in a week I figured it might be the smart thing to do ;)

It's pretty easy, get a 8 or 10 gauge wire and connect it from the positive battery terminal down to the relay (red wire). YES there's a physical relay. It's located under the air box on the left side. Then, run the same gauge wire from the relay (black wire) to the terminal on the side of the starter. You do not remove any stock wiring. Just run them parallel allowing more current to travel. Yes I already have an odyssey battery that stays on a tender. Ran the bike around a while in 90 degree temps and now she refires just as quick and strong as when cool :clap:

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
478 Posts
^. This is essentially what a dealer will do. The HOT START harness is run in parallel to oem wires. Method according to BMW to dealer is to measure the drop in volts from top to bottom. As the oem wire and surround get hot the volts drop to starter mimicking a low battery which is not the case. If orig wires were of a thicker gauge this wouldn't have been an issue. Typical corporate save a few pennies here n tHere and pay for it down the road. :dunno:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
More like: Typical corporate, save a few pennies here 'n there and have your customers pay for it down the road . . . :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I resurrected this thread for 2 reasons...

1) A couple of people have recently mentioned it, the symptoms at least..
2) I just did it myself.

On the way back from the dealer (yea yea I know) :( , I turned it off outside the garage and went to restart it and two slow turns died off to nothing.. At gas stations it would be slow but would eventually fire up. Since I'm heading to Newfoundland and Labrador in a week I figured it might be the smart thing to do ;)

It's pretty easy, get a 8 or 10 gauge wire and connect it from the positive battery terminal down to the relay (red wire). YES there's a physical relay. It's located under the air box on the left side. Then, run the same gauge wire from the relay (black wire) to the terminal on the side of the starter. You do not remove any stock wiring. Just run them parallel allowing more current to travel. Yes I already have an odyssey battery that stays on a tender. Ran the bike around a while in 90 degree temps and now she refires just as quick and strong as when cool :clap:
Wow...this exactly what my 2015 K1300S is doing.
My mechanic couldn’t replicate it in the work shop.
Will go back and get this fix done!
Thanks so much

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mechanic read this, and looked at these wires.
He said they looked quite big and adequate when they entered the insulation, but when he followed it to the end it was a narrower gauge on exiting the insulation!
He replaced it with thicker wire and its been perfect since then.
He was amazed that BMW would have such a ridiculous wire!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts