BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum (from NZ) and have a 2013 K1300s which I love. It's had an issue for a few years (which I manage) where it won't turn over when just stopped after a good ride. Presents like a bad battery. Once cooled (maybe 10mins) it'll turn over fine. Battery checks out OK. Any ideas? Thanks Vaughan

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
Not a bad battery. It is a hot start situation where the main power wiring is too small diameter. BMW has a wire and relay kit that I recommend. It is about 175$ when I bought it but probably more now. New relay is good too. Tricky to install so do you're homework in research. The top menu bar has three dots on the right, select it then go to advanced search and look at things in a "hot start" search or some words like it. Lots of help here and welcome. Keep all your wire terminals clean all the way to the alternator. Worth doing whenever you have the tank off.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arh....that's brilliant thank you. I should have searched first......but the guide is super helpful. Appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a bad battery. It is a hot start situation where the main power wiring is too small diameter. BMW has a wire and relay kit that I recommend. It is about 175$ when I bought it but probably more now. New relay is good too. Tricky to install so do you're homework in research. The top menu bar has three dots on the right, select it then go to advanced search and look at things in a "hot start" search or some words like it. Lots of help here and welcome. Keep all your wire terminals clean all the way to the alternator. Worth doing whenever you have the tank off.
A quick question; my local auto electrician (also a mate and a big bike bloke) reckons its reasonably easy to replicate the BMW wiring kit and had some thoughts on spade relays (thought that was prob a weakness along with the wire gauge). Will replacing this component have any affect on the computing/display/warnings etc parts of the bike? Prob a dumb question but....I love to ride, not so strong on fixing. Thanks Vaughan

·
Registered
58 Posts
A quick question; my local auto electrician (also a mate and a big bike bloke) reckons its reasonably easy to replicate the BMW wiring kit and had some thoughts on spade relays (thought that was prob a weakness along with the wire gauge). Will replacing this component have any affect on the computing/display/warnings etc parts of the bike? Prob a dumb question but....I love to ride, not so strong on fixing. Thanks Vaughan
My 2015 K1300S Motorsport was retro-fitted with the hot start kit, even though the dealer (Bowker Motorrad of Preston) had promised that the kit had already been fitted when I bought the used bike when it was two years old. I'm no auto electrician but would be pretty sure that your plan to make your own kit should cause no problems with the CANbus etc, but do be careful. The extra wiring does not replace the original, nor does it completely 'piggy-back' either, but a combination of both.

Hope all goes well and you enjoy these brilliant bikes -mine was supposed to be part exchanged against a Tiger 1200 two years ago, but I couldn't bear to let her go . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2015 K1300S Motorsport was retro-fitted with the hot start kit, even though the dealer (Bowker Motorrad of Preston) had promised that the kit had already been fitted when I bought the used bike when it was two years old. I'm no auto electrician but would be pretty sure that your plan to make your own kit should cause no problems with the CANbus etc, but do be careful. The extra wiring does not replace the original, nor does it completely 'piggy-back' either, but a combination of both.

Hope all goes well and you enjoy these brilliant bikes -mine was supposed to be part exchanged against a Tiger 1200 two years ago, but I couldn't bear to let her go . .
Thanks for that...I can't quite visualise how the hot start kit doesn't ether replace or piggy back the existing set up but, that's why I have engaged an auto electrician. Hes think he has it sorted in his mind so, should be fine. Appreciate your response VU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts