BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While removing the front wheel from my 2005 k1200S, I removed the left pinch bolt from the fork. Apparently this can damage the ABS sensor. I reinstalled the bolt and did not remove the wheel as I started to panic over the hundreds or thousands this is going to cost me. This is my first BMW after 3 Ducatis. Did I damage the abs? Aside from an error code, is there anything I should look for? Should I do anything proactive or just wait to see if anything comes up?

Thanks

This is a great forum. I look forward to many years of BMW riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pinch Bolts

Leave the left hand side pinch bolt tight and only loosen the pinch bolt on the right hand side as viewed from the saddle. You should be okay on the ABS as long as you didn't screw up the reluctor wheel or the pickup. You're worried about the costs of maintaining a BMW when you've had 3 Ducatis? I'm coming the other way and my Ducati Multistrada 1200S is definitely more expensive to maintain than any of the K bikes I have owned. A lot depends on the stealership and the POS stealership in New Orleans is just way too cool for me and always trying to gouge the customer. The BMW dealership in Baton Rouge is really laid back and tries to help out working guys with somewhat limited budgets by making suggestions that may cost them short term, but long term win them a loyal customer base.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, Ray is right. You'll be fine. I have had my front end apart many times. As a matter of fact, I have a Buell rim mounted front brake on my K 1200 S and had to rehang the ABS Sensor on a homemade mounting plate. Never had any trouble with it. Even if you bend the sensor ring, you can straighten them out by hand. I fixed one for a friend that dinged it in a minor crash. The most fragile part there is the ABS Sensor itself. If you are ever concerned about it while working on something there or removing your front wheel, you could loosen the screw on the Sensor and back it out of the way so it doesn't hit the ring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts