BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an average guy, 5'9 and 170 lbs. I just bought a 1991 K75 RT and when looking it over with the seller we both had to help to get it up on the center stand . The book says to stand on the stand ,and grab the handle with the right hand , but the bike seems way to heavy . I'm afraid if I put my whole body into lifting it , It may fall over on the right side . Is there
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Fuel tank
some trick to this ?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
If both legs of the stand are level to the pavement , you can gently rock the bike to feel that while your right foot is lightly pushing down, you can now put your full weight on it as you pull up on your grip point. After you do it a few times it will be second nature. This bike has a very smooth engine. If it still has the original rubber brake lines save some bucks up and buy a set of Spiegler brake lines for replacement. Do all the fluid change maintenance before winter stops you. A good place for consumable parts is euromotoelectric or beemerboneyard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If both legs of the stand are level to the pavement , you can gently rock the bike to feel that while your right foot is lightly pushing down, you can now put your full weight on it as you pull up on your grip point. After you do it a few times it will be second nature. This bike has a very smooth engine. If it still has the original rubber brake lines save some bucks up and buy a set of Spiegler brake lines for replacement. Do all the fluid change maintenance before winter stops you. A good place for consumable parts is euromotoelectric or beemerboneyard.
Thanks , I'll give it another try .. I'm encouraged by your comment that after I do it a few times , it will become second nature . I'll check the brake lines too ,thanks .
The previous owner has done a lot of maintenance on the bike , like new fuel pump and hoses, plus much more .

·
Registered
85 Posts
One mistake I've seen a lot of people make (as an ex motorcycle instructor) - and not saying you do, but....

They try and lift the motorcycle onto the stand with their arms, trying to lift the motorcycle UP.

Your leg and thigh muscles are much stronger than your arm muscles, so it is much easier to push the stand DOWN

You basically should be levering the bike around the stand feet, using your leg and the lever on the stand.

The method I used to use on my LT was

1. Lift out the handle and hold it with my right hand, while holding the left handlebar in my left hand. The bike will be tilted slightly towards me
2. Use my right foot to bring the stand down (foot on the stand lever) until the left stand leg touches the ground .
3. Make sure that both stand legs are on the ground by putting pressure on the leg and bringing the bike upright until you feel the right hand stand leg makign contact.
4. While putting upwards, and slightly rearwards pressure on the lever in my right hand, and left handlebar (with my left hand), push down hard on the stand lever with my right foot. Most of the effort should be going in through the right foot.
5. The bike would, in essence, rotate around the stand feet and pop upwards and backwards onto the stand.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
187 Posts
This may get expensive, given the price of wood these days. You'll need a piece of 2X10 or 2X12 about a foot long. Make a miter cut on a long end so as to make a short ramp (Home Depot can do this part). Put the piece of wood on the ground a couple of feet in front of the rear wheel with the ramp facing the rear. Push the bike forward hard enough to get the rear wheel up on the block of wood. Putting the bike on the center stand should now be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Corkboy nailed it. In fact, I copied his fine instructions to paste in my personal K75S wiki and found I already had pasted essentially the same instructions from a prior forum-find. I agree the bike feels heavy as you use your weight on the centerstand pedal / pull against handle. I am about the same height/weight as you and get it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts