BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Preload the shifter a bit and just some light pressure on the clutch. Higher the rpms the smoother she shifts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm a clutch guy, mostly out of fear of messing something up. Back in the old days of dirt bike riding a two stroke, I used to skip the clutch after second gear...but then the parents were paying the repair bills back then. Come to think of it, I have never had either a clutch or problem with gears on any bike.....

Great question, love to hear answers from others including maintenance issues.

Eric

·
Registered
132 Posts
slowflyn said:
Preload the shifter a bit and just some light pressure on the clutch. Higher the rpms the smoother she shifts.
Exactly. That's what I've experienced too.
Full power takeoffs (no...not in town!) are butter smooth too.
The way I got used to this was someone from another forum telling me to "ride it like you stole it." So, out on a long, straight stretch of farm road, I rode it like I stole it. Before that, I was having issues getting used to the way it shifted. But after shredding down the road a few times as if I was racing, I got more used to it. Think of it this way: when you preload the shifter a little bit, all it needs is the slightest release of clutch pressure to click into gear. Sometimes I don't even bother to blip the throttle because I can shift so fast like this. For normal riding, I let it get up to 4-5000 RPM before shifting. That seems to be a sweet spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone elses bike shift worse when the engine gets really hot? The box sticks sometimes between 1st and 2nd if I rev it hard too (to about 5/6k revs)

Upshifts are better with very little clutch for me.

Downshifts are full clutch, change, then slip it back in, no blipping the throttle. 2nd to 1st is always loud and crap (especially when the bikes nice and hot). :(

·
Registered
604 Posts
I know many others know it but other makes shift so much better.

My son just bought a '99 Honda CBR 600...14 years old and it shifts like butter.While my $23k (new) GT shifts like an old used U-haul truck. :boom: :popcorn:

·
Registered
132 Posts
steve1200S said:
Does anyone elses bike shift worse when the engine gets really hot? The box sticks sometimes between 1st and 2nd if I rev it hard too (to about 5/6k revs)

Upshifts are better with very little clutch for me.

Downshifts are full clutch, change, then slip it back in, no blipping the throttle. 2nd to 1st is always loud and crap (especially when the bikes nice and hot). :(
Check your oil. If it's low, the clutch acts weird.
I had what you describe a couple of times, but not since my last oil change when the dealership changed me to full synthetic.
I have no idea if that was a cure, only that it hasn't happened again yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
robday said:
Check your oil. If it's low, the clutch acts weird.
I had what you describe a couple of times, but not since my last oil change when the dealership changed me to full synthetic.
I have no idea if that was a cure, only that it hasn't happened again yet.
It actually had an oil change only 2 days ago with it's 36k service. I've not noticed if its any better so far, but will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
kbmwrs said:
I know many others know it but other makes shift so much better.

My son just bought a '99 Honda CBR 600...14 years old and it shifts like butter.While my $23k (new) GT shifts like an old used U-haul truck. :boom: :popcorn:
Yeah, my old K75S was way better, and so was the fuel injection mapping. How is it that BMW is getting worse at this as they go along?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts