BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a SaddleSore 1,000 2 days after i got my '07 GT?
i could get my 1st service when i got home
YES..... i would VARY my speeds...... nearly IMpossible when doing such a ride

so......
is this even possible?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Very possible depending on your route. If it's good, non-congested freeway with good weather it's a breeze. Even if it isn't, you have 24 hours. The hardest part is staying awake.

I made it home from CCR, 1068 miles in 13 hours 27 minutes thru a variety of traffic (Labor Day weekend), weather and roads. But, this is a big but (snicker), I was hauling ass. I stopped for fuel, leak, quick snack and was gone. I carry a platypus in the tank bag, it holds a leetle more than a quart. From tank to tank it's gone, you should know about the importance of hydration.

Average speed, good records and a pic of the gps at turning and end is your friend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grifscoots said:
Very possible depending on your route. If it's good, non-congested freeway with good weather it's a breeze. Even if it isn't, you have 24 hours. The hardest part is staying awake.

I made it home from CCR, 1068 miles in 13 hours 27 minutes thru a variety of traffic (Labor Day weekend), weather and roads. But, this is a big but (snicker), I was hauling ass. I stopped for fuel, leak, quick snack and was gone. I carry a platypus in the tank bag, it holds a leetle more than a quart. From tank to tank it's gone, you should know about the importance of hydration.

Average speed, good records and a pic of the gps at turning and end is your friend.

how about the bike.....
a day old.... 0 miles and then i'm off
do you really think it would be bad for it, mechanically?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Two schools of thought: Run it in like the book says or ride it like you stole it. The last one requires cooling off periods.

I'd plan the SS1000 on back roads. Good roads that run two to four lanes. Even with traffic signals and towns you will make it. That will give you your throttle variations. Of course, we are talking Florida here and I just don't see it. Now Texas, completely doable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
billwilsonnow said:
After 1000 miles on a GT seat the task will definitely fit the title...

"Saddle Sore"

Hopefully they updated the seat for 2007...Let us know
well,
i'd be shocked to find out (but, pleasantly so, of course) that the seat had been UPDATED for 2007.... since no one has mentioned that at all

·
Registered
117 Posts
billwilsonnow said:
After 1000 miles on a GT seat the task will definitely fit the title...

"Saddle Sore"

Hopefully they updated the seat for 2007...Let us know
I can confirm the seat is unchanged on the 07 GTs. I fully intend to replace mine as soon as they become available in the UK (I can't exactly visit one of the US custom fitters, who need your seat pan), because I have already noticed exactly the same problems as when I test rode the dealer's 06 model.

Greg, if I were you I'd wait until I changed the seat before doing a 1000 mile journey on the GT.... :crazy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say go4it. I did 1200 miles before my first service. I tried to take it easy for the first 300ish miles but then a 911 blew past me and the race was on. The next 200 miles was 220+ going through lovely Utah.
Bottom-line....she did her thing without a probable.
Enjoy your ride and be safe. If you choose to she will haul donkeybutts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chrisdy said:
Greg, if I were you I'd wait until I changed the seat before doing a 1000 mile journey on the GT.... :crazy:
riding 400 miles on my Brutale 910R... 2 weeks ago about killed me :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
jebnash said:
I say go4it. I did 1200 miles before my first service. I tried to take it easy for the first 300ish miles but then a 911 blew past me and the race was on. The next 200 miles was 220+ going through lovely Utah.
220+? :wtf Did you get the "add additional motor" option?

:)

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jebnash said:
encouraging news.... i appreciate it

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't get the whole IBA stuff in general...but that aside. I don't think it's very smart jumping on a foreign bike (to you) and riding it for 1,000 miles with time restraints. A recipe for disaster.

Then again, will the MV to me and I don't give a rip what you do!!! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
messenger13 said:
I don't get the whole IBA stuff in general...but that aside. I don't think it's very smart jumping on a foreign bike (to you) and riding it for 1,000 miles with time restraints. A recipe for disaster.

Then again, will the MV to me and I don't give a rip what you do!!! :D
this whole discussion with my friends in sarasota started when i thought i'd drop off the MV for it's first service when i picked up my BMW...
i took time off at the end of next week to ride a long way somewhere on the GT
i'd be happy with 800 miles over 2 days, to tell you the truth....
so i could get ITS first service done and then ride it somewhere further

we've always wanted to do an SS1000, though i really have NO idea why

maybe i'll just ride up the coast to hilton head, sc.... and then home
a nice ride.... all OFF the interstate... though no moutains/twisties of course

first.... however, i have to GET the bike
and i just heard that the very same bike, 10 VINS LESS than mine arrived in CALIF today.... and mine isn't here yet.... why the hell is that?

·
133 Posts
Do you even have a date to pick up the bike.

I spoke to the dealer on Tuesday and they said i should see the bike in the next 10 to fourteen days. I am climbing the walls and can't wait. On the 31st, I am suppouse to leave on a cross country trip.

I hope the call will come soon.

Retroboy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
retroboy said:
I spoke to the dealer on Tuesday and they said i should see the bike in the next 10 to fourteen days. I am climbing the walls and can't wait. On the 31st, I am suppouse to leave on a cross country trip.

I hope the call will come soon.

Retroboy

1. what week build?
2. what is the last 4 of your VIN #?

·
133 Posts
The first week that they started back production.

I didn't get the vin number from the dealer. The bke was ordered in May and built the first week the factory went back into production. It has been shipped and is sitting in a warehouse. The dealer hasn't been invoiced but felt that it would probably be another 10 days.

Were you given a date from your dealer ?. The bike is being shipped to Baton Rouge,La so maybe they will drop mine off on the way down to Fla.

Retroboy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
retroboy said:
I didn't get the vin number from the dealer. The bke was ordered in May and built the first week the factory went back into production. It has been shipped and is sitting in a warehouse. The dealer hasn't been invoiced but felt that it would probably be another 10 days.

Were you given a date from your dealer ?. The bike is being shipped to Baton Rouge,La so maybe they will drop mine off on the way down to Fla.

Retroboy
weird stuff
because mine is also in the warehouse/not invoiced yet
but a bike was delivered to calif today.....
same bike as our's
same week built
same ship
same arrival date
and....... calif.....
how on earth is that possible?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts