BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I store two two and a half gallons of gas during hurricane season. Use standard red plastic containers from Walmart. How long before the gas becomes problematic? What is it that goes bad?

Thanks....

·
Registered
27 Posts
It will 'crystalize' with time......and in those old times with Carburators..could even cause Carbs to flood due a 'crystal' was stuck at the needle of the float-chamber...my 'long-gone' Kawa Z1000 had that bad habbit....that is more or less gone as most bikes today uses Fuel-injection...;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the time frame?

How long we talkin here ...3 months - 6 months ? more? less?

I expect I'll run it out, but would be nice to know...

·
Registered
826 Posts
If gasoline is stored for up to 90 days, there won't be any problems using it up right away and freshening it up with new stuff. Anything longer than that should be removed as best as possible. My truck usually gets any older gasoline thrown into the tank and mixed with a larger amount of good stuff. That's where the the old lawnmower fuel goes as well. After 90 days, I would just go new in the bike. Using a product like Sta-bil will help storing for a longer period. A lot of boat owners swear by it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
On the back of the bottle it says Sta-Bil keeps gas fresh for 12 months. I never pushed it that far. I think it's a great product.
Bruce C

·
Registered
138 Posts
I try not to store gas except typically 5 gal for the tractor mower. After the hurricane I purchased 25 gal of premium after waiting in line for 1-1/2 hours. Needed gas for the generator and that was all they were selling. I got power back this week and still have about 15 gal left. None of my vehicles require premium so I am saving this gas for the K12. As far as how long gas will store, every year after the hurricane come I end up dumping the gas for the chainsaw and mixing a new batch. Had a bad experience once with bad gas and ended up rebuilding the carb on the chainsaw. I leave the gas in the generator but top it off with fresh gas every year (after the hurricane) prior to use. Have had no problems. Might look into the STA-BIL though. Sounds like a good idea.

Yuan

·
Registered
589 Posts
Use the StaBil. I routinely have ~10 gallons on hand for the lawn tractor, weed eater and chainsaw. I put some StaBil in when I buy it, sometimes it's here for 4 months until I use it up. Lately it goes more quickly as the SO has her horses out here and the lawn tractor hauls manure every day!
Most of the 2 cycle oil additives already have Stabil in the mix. I've had no problem with the chainsaw (every 2 months or so) or the weed eater (twice a year!).

·
Registered
42 Posts
stabil

Does anyone have experience with stabil and our K12? I too have used it in my carburated BMW airhead and small gas driven lawn equipment with good results, but anyone know of any adverse effect on the K12's?
Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stabil

Long winters here in Minnesota. Used stabil on my K100GT last fall and no problems at all this spring. Seems to be a good product; used in my R1200C the year before. Same result.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
jtull01 said:
Does anyone have experience with stabil and our K12? I too have used it in my carburated BMW airhead and small gas driven lawn equipment with good results, but anyone know of any adverse effect on the K12's?
Thanks.
I use it to winterize my bikes every year. Never any problem fuel injected or carburated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had gas literally turn into varnish in a gas tank, but it took a few years. In my experience gas will start smelling "varnishy" after about 6 months. I usually add some new gas to freshen, and put sta-bil in it. I always keep it in my antique car since it can take me months to burn through the 18 gallon tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have always filled up my boat after use, so as to keep the moisture to a minimum in the tank. It has a 47 gal built in tank, and I always use the OMC 2+4 fuel conditioner. It can be mixed as an octane boost or for storage. The one time I didn't use it, when I took the boat out after 6-7 months, I had one of the carbs float bowl needle stick due to gumming up. Now I never fill without. As far as the mowers/weedeaters, the stabil works fine also. I personally believe that it lasts longer in a metal container also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts