BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles/KM's you getting before the low fuel warning light comes on? With some mixed driving mine usually comes on between 120 miles and 140 miles which equates to usually about 3.7 gallons at fill-up.

At fill-up I am on sidestand, not centerstand, AND do not try to top it off. Shut fuel fill-up down at 2nd click OR when I can see fuel in the neck.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My light comes on at 160 miles on freeway travel, or as low as 120 miles in local twisty sporty travel....in other words, when there's a gallon left.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i also am getting about the same as those above - probably 35 mpg on average. I do ride in lower gear alot though - my guess is that I'd get into the low 40s mpg if I rode in 6th at 60-70 mph.

·
Registered
910 Posts
John,

I ride the same routes over and over and over again. And on this bike, it never gets boring. Oh yeah, the light regularly comes on at 133 miles and at the pump the mpg is always 39.9.

Always fill with the bike on the centerstand. It's so easy to do and the fuel capacity is marginal, so I figure why not?

Betsy, on the other hand, leaves her bike on the sidestand. (she calls the centerstand, "the mechanics stand"). But her ST has half-gallon more than the K-S and her bike gets 50+ mpg! By the way, her low-fuel warning light comes on past the 200 mile mark.

Miles

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can't remember when the light comes on, but I know the RTE readout seems pretty accurate. This summer I was on a long ride and it read 7 miles to empty. I filled the tank to the neck, and it was about a pint short of full. My average consumption is 40 around town, closer to 45 on trips. My KGT never got more than 40, and usually closer to 37.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Normally get the "miles to zero" indication around 150 miles.... I have found it reassuringly accurate so far. I fill my bike whilst its vertical and fill it to the top (but make sure it is ridden after that so it is not left too full without room for expansion - no real fear of heat expansion in Scotland ;) .

• 55 mpg is the best I have had out of a tank and 42 mpg is the worst.
  • Over the 5,200 miles I have covered since new the bike's average consumption is 47.5 mpg.
  • The best period was 2,422 miles touring to Austria = 51.8 mpg
The bike just loves longer runs.

Note: 1 UK Gallon = 4.546 litres = 1.201 US Gallons

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rennie, very nice...wondering if on this side of the pond our gasoline formula is different, I'm getting about 37 mpg consistently. It does not vary much whether touring or city riding. Even adjusting for different gallon sizes it seems good... Anyone in the western hemisphere getting Rennie's numbers?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jimmy,

Your 37 mpg would equate to over 44 mpg in UK gallons, so our daily figures are not that far apart. :) I cannot get Unleaded 97 RON in my town and can't be bothered driving an extra 15 miles to find it, so I usually fill up with Super Unleaded (95 RON). A few of my friends find their fuel consumption is improved using the higher RON fuel to such an extent that the additional cost is offset by more mpg. I can't say I have really noticed any difference the few times I have tried it.

I was really surprised at the economy when I was away in September. Especially some of the mountain passes and the 1st gear crawling through jammed motorway traffic in Germany.

PM me if you want a look at my Excel Spreadsheet which outlines my fuel use to date (honest I am not really an anorak :eek: ... I have always just keep good vehicle records).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks For All Your Replies

Seems we all get about the same plus/minus riding style, roads, etc. So darn used to the LT getting 200+ miles on a tank! But then again, LT ain't no S.

Regards to all!

BTW, I usually carry a fuel cell with me on all of the bikes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rennie...I'm converting to UK gallons asap! BTW, what was the longest day you logged on your trip in miles or kilometers?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jimmy,

No real long days as the whole idea was a lazy tour to unwind and mark my "retirement." But there was very little start stop motoring, which appears to drink the fuel. I am awaiting some of my friend's photos before updating my home pages, however the routes and fuel used etc. can be seen at this page... Austria 2005 if you are interested.

Note: All distances in miles with fuel shown in litres and converted to UK gallons.

regards,

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rennie, cool recap and nice job relating to us some of the facilities available to bikers over there. Someday, man, someday!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 3680 km now and over the last 1700 km have averaged 48.2 miles per cdn/uk gal with a low/high of 40/57. I've been keeping track of fill ups and milage since I got it. The most distance I've got before reserve countdown begins is a little over 175 miles and as little as just over 125 miles. This has been riding in temps from the mid 20's to mid 50's F. With warmer temps and more miles it should be even better. Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts