BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I recall, the old site home page claimed 8,000 members, but as I watch the number of posts, etc it seems as though the current number is very small...but growing. Any statistics to share with those of us who have made the trip over to our new site?

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jeff is the statistics man and, I am sure he will provide more up-to-date info, but, as of a week or so ago, about 3,000 members have signed on to k-bikes.com. That is a fairly impressive number for less than a month!

If you read the home page it currently shows 9,031 members. This number came from the 8,800 or so transferred over from the i-bmw database and 200+ new members. Most members are keeping their old usernames, a few have been forced to sign up with new names since we could not communicate via email (their ISPs were blocking us), but many have been put back to their old names and the new ones deleted (some of the background work you Admins do!).

It is my understanding that Vic never cleaned up the database since the site went to UBBThreads, so the 8.800+ members was obviously exaggerated. Duplicates are limited by not allowing multiple usernames to the same email address, but, many have multiple email addresses. Many signup and never sign on again after looking around. Others simply sold their k-bikes and lost interest, etc.

Jeff will be cleaning up the database soon, eliminating the members that haven't been on since signing up a while back (not sure of the timeframe that the Admins decided on), so, it will probably "lose" a couple of thousand real soon. Future emails and cleanups will make it come even closer.

Hope this answers your curiosity!

Randy

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
As the appointed Statmaster, here are the stats:

Total Users: 9031

Users who have logged in since the transition: 2610
Average Posts per Day: 200 (which is 75 more per day than before the transition)
Average number of users who log in each day: 650-700

I don't know why it seems like there are less posts on the new site. Maybe it's the layout of the new software versus the old software.

As for the upcoming cleanup, we will probably decrease our numbers by about 2500. There are 1500 "lookieloos", 900 "neverbeenheres", and about 100-200 "orphans". A lookieloo is someone who signs up, looks around a couple times, and hasn't shown up in over a year. A neverbeenhere is someone who signs up and never logs in. We've emailed the neverbeenheres a few times to see if they needed help, but never heard back from them. Then there are the orphan accounts. These are normally people who forgot their first username and had changed email accounts since they first registered.

Prior to the transition, the numbers were:

Users who logged in during a typical month: 2300
Users who logged in during a typical week: 1300
Users who logged in during a typical day: 550
Posts per day: 125

Other trivia:

Peak periods (more than 10 posts per hour): 9am EST - midnight (the LT site is 6am - 10pm EST)
From the age poll on the other site: Average age is 47 (the LT site is 52 just as a comparison)
Top 5 States for K-Bikes.com members: CA, TX, FL, OH, AZ

We have a map of members at Frapper: http://www.frappr.com/kbikes

Note the very EASTERLY bias for members. I thought it would be a little more balanced between West and East.

And we get more accurate location data if you fill out your profile: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

It also helps to find other RS/GT/R/S riders in your area to go for a ride or just shoot the shit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the quick and most informative reply. I'm on my third K bike since 1988 (K75S, K1100RS, and now the most impressive K1200RS). I like the web sites, both old and new and I'm hopeful that our current site will continue to provide a wealth of information to all. It certainly appears that most of the forums are visited frequently. Keep up the good work...this means you the visitors, but more importantly the highly valued (and underpaid??) administrators. :)

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts