BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the wheels off my bike yesterday and took them into my local non BMW dealer along with two new tires bought over the internet. Picked them up later in the day and was presented with a bill of $107!!!!!!!!!! I bitched, hollered and tore the owner a new one but bottom line it was my fault as I didn't ask ahead of time. This place has been changing tires for me for several years and has always charged me about 25 bucks per wheel. I figured it was the same and no one told me the price was now doubled!!! I have (had) been a customer there for over 30 years but there was no apology, no explanation no nothing from them.

What do you pay and how many are doing the tire changes yourselves and what kind of equipment do you use?

Moosedog's wallet hurts........

·
Registered
440 Posts
labor rates are about 80/hr in my area, and changing both tires takes a little over an hour.

I usually change the rear tire myself, and take the front off myself to get it changed. costs about $25 to bring it into the shop to have them change it. however, due to certain circumstances, I had to get both changed at a non-BMW dealer yesterday with brought-in tires. Cost me $85 and tool about 1hr.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think the lowest prices around are 30 bucks on the bike, and that is when you buy their tires. even cycle gear charges 30 a tire off the bike. most places won't even have the balancing equiptment for bmw's. most shops will charge at least 50 a tire on the bike. that does seem a little expensive though since you brought them in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Brought my dealer tires I bought on-line and my bike, they charged me $100.00 to mount and balance. Seems reasonable to me. :)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Had mine changed at a dealer once while two-up on the road. They wouldn't change one unless I also bought the matching brand's tire as well (they didn't carry Avon's so I had to get two Metzlers). Cost $450 that Saturday, but they did it the same day.

I do my own now. A couple of labor hits and I've paid for the tools and probably get a better balance as well.

Mack

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
There is a family-owned shop in my town that specializes in changing motorcycle tires. That's all they do. I haven't used them yet, but I plan to use them next week. Several friends have recommended them. Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

Prices (if you remove the wheels yourself):
Change tire: Free if you buy the tire from them, otherwise $15
Balance: $14
Tire disposal: $4

Even if you buy the tire from them, they still charge for balance and disposal.

Two wheel total (buy tire from them): $36
Two wheel total (bring in your own tires): $66

They charge a lot more if they remove the wheels. I think it was over $130 for two wheels. My guess is that they charge $30 - $50 per wheel for removal and reinstallation.

Their prices for tires are somewhat higher than mail order, but reasonable. Of course, they charge sales tax on the tires, too.

When I stopped by the shop, I saw nothing but Harleys. I asked about TPM, balancing the large BMW hubs, and No-Mar type non-scratch clamps, and they claimed to know all about them. They showed me their no-mar type clamp with plastic fittings.

·
Registered
259 Posts
$15 per wheel, each tire. has been for the last 3 years at the suzuki shop

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to say I'm with the dealer on this one. I was a Luxury Import tech, both German and Japanize. I also was a service manager at a German shop. The labor sounds like a lot of money but it gets spread out a lot and ends up not being as big a profit as it seems. The shop makes money off of the parts. Buy are parts and we stay in business. Buy them some were else and we close the doors. I'm glad I'm not in that line of work anymore, the customers would bitch all the time about how we should have be doing the work for free. It's funny how people will pay all kinds of money for other things like a plumber or lawn guy but when it comes to their transportation , they think it should be free.

Just my $0.02
Mick

·
Registered
128 Posts
Four of my riding buddy's and myself purchased a used electric/pneumatic tire changer about 3 years ago for $ 500.00. I change tiers about 2 - 3 times a year on my and my son's bike, so it's real handy. The changer is sitting in my basement and if one of my friends needs new tires, they just come over, we shoot the bull and change tires.
The ting has paid for itself already, plus I am the one who does the work and I know it's done right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last summer the guy at Cycle Gear pissed me off enough that I drove right over to Harbor Freight and bought the setup to change motorcycle tires. I think it was $80 on sale for everything. The equipment works fine, but it's hard physical labor. Even still, I don't mind the work at all. I've changed 5 tires so far... the equipment paid for itself after the 3rd tire.

Regarding balancing: Even though I built a very fine static balancer, I never use it. I learned a long time ago in the auto tire industry that if you peel a wheel weight off, then mount a new tire and re-balance, 9 times out of 10 you end up with the exact same weight in the exact same spot on the wheel. For my cycle tires, I just leave the old weights on, line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem, and don't balance.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
My balancing has been all over the place using Marc Paynes balancer. The worse was around 10 of those little 1/4 ounce things on the rear tire once (5 each side) which seemed a lot (no dot on tire either and I'm seeing less of the dots of late too?). Next time it only took 2 of the little 1/4 ounce things.

I've gotten into recycling the weights since they've gone up in price and the new "Green" stuff is zinc and takes a lot more of it to do the same job. I just rub off the old weight's sticky tape or use solvent, stick on some new double-sided stuff, and spray them with aluminum paint to mach the rim.

Mack

·
Registered
230 Posts
In my neck of the woods Mach I in Costa Mesa, Ca. now charges $20 per wheel with the wheel off the bike and bringing in your own tires. M & C in Long Beach, Ca is charging the same thing I believe. 6 months ago I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer with Mojobar and mojoblocks. I am just about ready to use it for the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
There is a family-owned shop in my town that specializes in changing motorcycle tires. That's all they do. I haven't used them yet, but I plan to use them next week. Several friends have recommended them. Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

Prices (if you remove the wheels yourself):
Change tire: Free if you buy the tire from them, otherwise $15
Balance: $14
Tire disposal: $4

Even if you buy the tire from them, they still charge for balance and disposal.

Two wheel total (buy tire from them): $36
Two wheel total (bring in your own tires): $66

They charge a lot more if they remove the wheels. I think it was over $130 for two wheels. My guess is that they charge $30 - $50 per wheel for removal and reinstallation.

Their prices for tires are somewhat higher than mail order, but reasonable. Of course, they charge sales tax on the tires, too.

When I stopped by the shop, I saw nothing but Harleys. I asked about TPM, balancing the large BMW hubs, and No-Mar type non-scratch clamps, and they claimed to know all about them. They showed me their no-mar type clamp with plastic fittings.
I took my wheels into Wheel Works. The people were very nice, fast, and efficient.

One problem: they couldn't balance the rear wheel from my 2007 K1200GT. The hub was too big. Yes, when I called, they said they could handle the big hub. They sent me to the auto tire place down the street, who balanced it for $10. I didn't like it, but it seems okay.

Next time, I will buy a Marc Parnes balancer and do it myself. Heck, I may buy a tire changer, too, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
keithb said:
In my neck of the woods Mach I in Costa Mesa, Ca. now charges $20 per wheel with the wheel off the bike and bringing in your own tires. M & C in Long Beach, Ca is charging the same thing I believe. 6 months ago I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer with Mojobar and mojoblocks. I am just about ready to use it for the first time.
I have a NOMAR (in phoenix), haven't worked the HF stuff, but if you need any help drop me a line, I change tires one of my 2 bikes about every 6-8 weeks, sometimes sooner.

I'm out of town by weds PM this week, for about 10 days total so my timing might be off.

ps...I work in HB so I'm here most of the time when not on biz travel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tick said:
I have to say I'm with the dealer on this one. I was a Luxury Import tech, both German and Japanize. I also was a service manager at a German shop. The labor sounds like a lot of money but it gets spread out a lot and ends up not being as big a profit as it seems. The shop makes money off of the parts. Buy are parts and we stay in business. Buy them some were else and we close the doors. I'm glad I'm not in that line of work anymore, the customers would bitch all the time about how we should have be doing the work for free. It's funny how people will pay all kinds of money for other things like a plumber or lawn guy but when it comes to their transportation , they think it should be free.

Just my $0.02
Mick
I never said anything about doing it for free. Of course I know a shop has to make money to stay in business, but to double their price suddenly and not say anything to a 40 year customer is just wrong. And they made $100 for about 20 min. work. Thats $300 per hour. Pretty good thinks I...............It's not our (as owners) fault that we can buy tires MUCH cheaper than a dealer can - that's how it is. But stealers cannot take it out on us who do take the bikes to them for other maintainence issues that they charge plenty for and we pay it. For most of us, tires are the most expensive things in maintaining our bikes and the cost of ownership is so much more now than it was. This last time I put tires on I used Shinko's (very nice tires by the way) and paid $150 for BOTH tires. Even paying the $100 for mounting I still only had $250 into them. At my local BMW stealer if I bought the tires there and had them mounted I would be into it for over $400. Sorry, for that kind of savings I have to do it this way and hope the stealer can keep his doors open through all the other sources of revenue streams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts