BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've had a ball reading all these threads since just registering here. There's a LOT of knowlege in here and I do appreciate that.
I've been riding over 30 years, and during that time I"ve nearly always had 2 bikes in the garage, one street and one off-road.
However, until last Febriary I'd never owned a BMW, when I bought this new 04 GT. It's been flawless so far through 8000 miles, I've really come to love the bike, especially since i've installed the bar backs and made the shifter fit right per a great article at the Pirates Lair.
Anyway, I just received two new Piaa bulbs, and holy cow, is there a space premium or what ? So far I've read that it's a good thing to remove the hand guards and a piece under them to gain access to the headlight.
Having some time now on the bike I've come to appreciate the brand, and see why you folks are so brand loyal. I had an ST1300 for a year before I bought this bike, and though a fine bike, it just didn't have the personality or whatver it is that I was looking for , something this bike does have.
Any directions/hints for a guy still learning their way around a BMW would be sincerely appreciated. Thank You, I look forward to reading more good stuf here !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the site, Doug!

Wasn't really sure if you had a question in there, but yes, the cockpit trim and front nose fairing need to come off to gain easy access to the headlight. It's not a big job to remove the tupperware - first time is always the hardest. While the fairing is off, snoop around and get familiar with where things are. You will return there someday, guaranteed.

Be sure to search the site when a question pops up for you. Also, be sure to check the community forum section for posts from the old site. There's a wealth of knowledge (and opinion) in there.

Again, welcome! Go ride!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, thanks a lot. I'm off today, it's cold and raining, so I'm going in !
I appreciate the help, this is a great web site, I'll be enjoying it. Doug

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
The "manual" (if you can get one) recommends that you reach in behind the headlamp, remove the cover, and replace the bulb. As you have the GT, ignore those instructions. Take both the left and right handguards and the plastic piece under them off (two screws each piece). The nose piece then can be removed (two screws under the cowl nose and two on each side back and below the turnsignals. Remove the bulbs from the turnsignal pods. Then, because you trust us, yank (gently) the outside exposed edge on the same level as the vent hole in the windscreen. There are some snap-tabs that hold the cowl in place just past the windscreen edge.

Now, remove the parking lamp from the bottom of the headlamp, remove the screws holding the headlamp in place, and facing the front of the bike, pull the left side out. There is a wiring harness clipped to the right of the lamp, with a captive wire-spring holding the plug in place. Once that is disconnected, you can then remove the headlamp housing, and work the rest of the lamp replacement without encumberments. Reverse steps when reassembling, blah blah blah. (Don't touch the lamp glass with your fingers, just hold by the metal base).

After you've done this (and it takes an hour 'cause you're not used to it), it'll be a 10 min. off/10 min. on process in the future, including on the side of the road replacement if needed. In order to eliminate the side-of-the-road replacement, you should consider some Piaa 1400 fog or moto lights. Piaa's mount under the cowling (but won't need to be removed if the cowling has to come off for any reason) and the moto lights mount on the forks. Should you lose the headlamp, these auxilary lights should be more than adequate at night for you to get to your destination or a better place to do the headlamp replacement.

That's my 2¢ on that...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Getting auxilliary lights is a wise thing, as the ground wire in the OEM headlight assembly is known to be a high failure rate item. When it goes, you will lose both high and low beam lights. I had mine fail on a week-long trip, about 1,000 miles from home. I didn't miss a beat however, due to my PIAA 1100x auxilliary lights. Rode the 1000 miles home with just the PIAA's and no headlamps and had the headlamp fixed under warranty upon my return to Denver. It would have been a real PITA if I hadn't had the auxilliary lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks rhhall, those 1100's will be ordered before the sun sets.
Then, I'll be looking on here to find posts about how to install those little sweethearts.
I see you're a veteran.. me too.
I'm a full-time recruiter for the Ohio Army National Guard, first 6 years in the Marine Corps. I love it every day !
Thanks for the feedback though, you guys remind me of the best, most helpful web site in OFF-ROAD, motorcycling, www.crfsonly.com. It's just like this, a lot of great people who go above and beyond to help out.
It's pretty different, over there I'm a posting all these long replies to help out new folks, and over here, being new to BMW's, I'M the new guy !
Thanks Again everyone. Doug
P.S.- I'm really starting to "get it", about these bikes. It's good to be in love again .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Razel said:
a captive wire-spring holding the plug in place.
Are you referring to a long horizontal wire that goes all the way from one side of the headlight housing to the other? Like a great big sorta "C" shaped thing?

If so, how do you get that thing loose ???

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
dobent4 said:
I see you're a veteran.. me too.
I'm a full-time recruiter for the Ohio Army National Guard, first 6 years in the Marine Corps. I love it every day !
Doug,

I'm ashamed to say that I'm not a real veteran. The BBS adds these titles to your name and changes them depending on how much you post. The BBS considers me to be a veteran of this BBS based on the number of posts I've made, not in the real world.

My dad put 26 years in with the Air Force, retired as E-9 (Chief MasterSargeant). That's 26 years as a non-com with a wife, two sons, and three other kids on child-support. It wasn't easy for him. I was a military brat growing up, but through the dedication of folks like yourself and my father, was given the opportunity to pursue a successful life through the private sector. There are times I regret not making the sacrifice to serve my country, however the circumstances and choices that lay before me as I exited college led me into the private sector. My father would have been disappointed had I not taken the best choices as they were available.

I am most grateful to those veterans who have given me the opportunity to live my life in the manner it has taken. I hope that I have lived up to my end of the bargain by contributing to the economic strength of this country and promoting a pro-America, pro-capitalist, pro-freedom, and pro-democracy way of life.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Raze,
I thank you very,very much. You're right about the manual, they must be living in some sort of fantasy world !
Now those are some directions that I can use, I especially enjoyed the "because you trust us" part.
I am now confident I can perform this evil job, I'll be "going in" tonight .
That took some time to write all that out, pretty cool thing to do.
If you're ever riding through Ohio---I live about 30 miniutes from Mid-Ohio, where they have Vintage Bike Week, etc., let me know.
I'll feed you and anyone you're with ! Doug

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All that time with Dad, you most certainly are a veteran !
People like yourself make us proud to do our jobs,happy and enthusiastic to serve.
Really, people like you sure do serve your country, every day, through being productive members of the country you love, and through raising families and influencing other young people to appreciate what we have.
That's why JFK's inaugural with the "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" was such a great statement.
That party doesn't have many like that anymore.
Wow, I thought we were bad with thread jacking over at www.crfsonly.com on the 450X forum !
Fun, isn't it ? Doug :)

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
realwrld said:
Are you referring to a long horizontal wire that goes all the way from one side of the headlight housing to the other? Like a great big sorta "C" shaped thing?

No, he's talking about the clip holding the electrical connector to the headlight housing.
That big wire you're talking about opens up the housing for bulb access....takes a good pull to get it unlatched.

·
5,163 Posts
realwrld said:

No, what you are refering to is the back wire spring holding the cover on the back of the headlamp housing. That critter needs to be pushed down, it has two plastic rest points that are captive somewhat. If you have the RS (or just plain don't have the electric motor to adjust the windscreen) you might be able to save time by just reaching in front of the forks, pushing down (from the top or pulling from underneath) the wire holding the rear cover, pull the cover up and out, then reach in, remove the old bulb and install the new. The K1200's with the electric screen just don't have enough room to remove the cover with out lots of distortion to said cover, then you do the same contortions to put it back. I spent an hour the first time and had to give up. The next attempt I got the lamp in place but had one heck of a time getting the wire spring that holds the bulb in place to re-latch properly. Second bulb replacement involved taking the plastic off, and time spent was much, much less.

The wiring harness has a plug on the clutch side of the headlamp housing that's also got a spring clip to insure the plug doensn't come apart on it's own. Needle nose plier on the semi-loop in the middle (hold tight, because if it falls, it knows all the good hiding places) and pull. Then you can pull the plug apart and remove the headlamp (assuming all the other screws and the parking lamp are removed).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
2 different spring clip designs?

Razel said:
The wiring harness has a plug on the clutch side of the headlamp housing that's also got a spring clip to insure the plug doensn't come apart on it's own. Needle nose plier on the semi-loop in the middle (hold tight, because if it falls, it knows all the good hiding places) and pull. Then you can pull the plug apart and remove the headlamp (assuming all the other screws and the parking lamp are removed).
I just replaced my low beam tonight and I PUSHED IN the spring clip...the plug falls right off....spring clip stays with the plug.....just push the plug back on when finished and the spring clip snaps on secure.

·
5,163 Posts
milkman said:
I just replaced my low beam tonight and I PUSHED IN the spring clip...the plug falls right off....spring clip stays with the plug.....just push the plug back on when finished and the spring clip snaps on secure.
Dayum...oh really. Honestly, that process didn't cross my mind. Sorry if I don't pull off the tupperware and try that right now, but it makes sense. And, it sure keeps the spring clip where you can get to it when you plug the harness back in.

D'uh!

·
Registered
402 Posts
same here

milkman said:
Mine works the same way ... no tools required.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to Razels great "How-to" I did my first TupperWare removal, and replaced both high and low beam bulbs, with some Piaa units.
From opening the garage door to closing it, and taking my time, being sure to lose a screw or two temporarily, I was at it an hour and 20 minutes. Now, I could do it a hell a lot faster than that, no sweat.
The big time eater for me was figuring out how to re-attach that long, brass springy clip the holds the high beam bulb in , that was a real pain un the ass until somehow it snapped into place. I'm open for tips on that one.
Especially rewarding was turning on the ignition, and they both worked !
Thanks Razel , your directions were a huge help. This actually was very rewarding, it beat paying the shop for something like changing out bulbs, and now I know a little bit more about this thing.
Next, I'll be figuring out how to install those Piaa 1100's when they come! Doug

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
......The big time eater for me was figuring out how to re-attach that long, brass springy clip that holds the high beam bulb in.........

It's an even bigger pain in the butt if you try to fit an H3 HID lamp!

I tried once fighting the big clip, rear cover, connectors and lampholders with all the plastic on. When I finished my fingers were raw, wasn't sure if the clips/connectors were fitted properly, or the lamp in solid. It took me no longer taking off the plastic to do the right thing. I thought we were supposed to carry spare lamp kits to do roadside changes (In Fr. that is)

Ever had to reach the lateral beam adjuster (top left corner)? Impossible I think without plastic off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Milkman & Razel ! I have learned on other bikes that it's always worth the time and effort to remove the bodywork before attempting any work that's behind it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
changing H7 Low beam

today, I faced my fears and decided to spend sometime changing the burnt out H3 low beam on my K1200RS.

I had to pysch myself up and imagine that I had the hands and fingers of a monkey in order to do the job.

I follow the instruction on the BMW manual, and installed the H7-12-55W Silverstar. The procedure was relatively simple, and took about 20 minutes.

Compared to changing the headlight on my (now sold) VFR, it was a dream job. The VFR definately need monkey fingers to change headlights.

My with my H7 Silverstars, I am so happy, I thought I had to take it to the dealer and have them do me in for at least 40 dollar labour to change a light bulb.

All for now
Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue

·
Registered
653 Posts
rhhall said:
Getting auxilliary lights is a wise thing, as the ground wire in the OEM headlight assembly is known to be a high failure rate item.
Out of curiosity, how exactly does it fail? Does it burn up due to excessive current? Does the attachment develop corrosion? Or does the wire get repeatedly stressed and then snaps? Or is it something entirely different?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.