BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, been away for a while - sorry. Can anyone advise me how to power a Garmin 250w (widescreen) from the bikes power outlet (1200RS)? Is there a cable available? Also what mount would you recommend? I've searched the Ram site but the 250w is not listed. Thanks in advance (Expecting to use the unit in dry-weather riding only - a little un-realistic here in Ireland I know but!!!).

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
Howdy Harnblower (please take a moment and fill out your profile),

In your battery bay there should be a pig-tail that is designed to plug into the cable which plugs into the BMW GPS (which is a Zumo). In short you should be able to buy the BMW cable, or splice a different connector onto the pig-tail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill - profile updated!. How unrealistic would it be to use a windscreen mount on the rev. counter (never need to use it as I don't ever need to use high revs)?

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
I'm not sure how to mount the Zumo on a GT. There are lot's of GT's on this site, but perhaps a few more on the sister site www.bmwlt.com You might post there as well and I'm sure you'll get a ton of suggestions on mounting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, be aware that the Garmin windscreen mount is not infallible. I have used a couple of Garmins for over a year, and found that while the suction cup may stick for months, in cold temperatures it breaks loose. You wouldn't want your Garmin falling off at speed . . . perhaps a safety strap at minimum?

Good luck - will soon be trying to figure out the same thing myself. Thinking about just putting the Garmin inside the clear top cover of a tank bag, perhaps with a power cable to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think VELCRO

I carry a supply of strips and spots of this magical material. Most handy. I keep my gps in the tank bag. I haven't yet found a gps thats bright enough for me to see when using good sunglasses, so I typically don't look at thin thing when I'm riding anyway. As long as I'm on here though, what gps has the best display?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Garmin Mount For K12GT (Classic)

The standard BMW GPS mount works great. Just attach the cradle from the Nuvi to it. The BMW Mounting kit uses a standard mounting scheme that works fine with most GPSs. The BMW Kit mounts right in the center of the handlebars....

·
Registered
233 Posts
RAM does make a holder for the 250w as I have one. It is not always easy to find all that RAM offers but if you go to their web site and use their search for Garmin 250w you will find it... Aloha from Hawaii- for a few more hours anyway...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts