BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints on switching wind screens? I had the dealer put on a short RS screen a few months ago. Now I'd like to put the GT screen back on (without a trip to the dealer). Any special tools or techniques needed? Thx.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tools needed

Here is the tools I used to remove my Stock Screen from my 04 K1200GT. This is it, no fancy anything

All you do is push the Short end of the Allen Wrench in the middle of the 4 prongs (make sure it will fit in between) and the BMW fasteners should Push out once the pin pushes out.
Do not force it. it will come with just a little effort.

·
Registered
186 Posts
And don't lose those plastic spacers after the fastener pin comes out!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Tools… to remove the OEM windshield variations ????

This is it, no fancy anything
Huh ? Why not just simply use the end of your index finger to push the "pins" off their seat and remove w/ a thumbnail from the "inside" ? And of course, the bushings must not get dropped, they're pricey little buggers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From Pirate's Web Site:

http://gunsmoke.com/scot/k12/windscreen.html

In my experience, newer pins are a b*tch to get out, but take your time and protect the windscreen w/ tape and/or shop towels, etc. to avoid a slip-up... I ended up using a combination method of pushing the pins out a bit from the backside of the 'rivets' w/ a T-handled allen wrench (3 or 4 mm as I recall) and then used the method in the link above to push the rivets out of thier sockets. Like everyone says, keep track of the little bushings.. they can get lost easily!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts