BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how do you wash in every nook and cranny of the bike? I think that you would need some very special shaped brushes but I have never seen some for sale. What do you use to wash your bike?

·
Registered
513 Posts
wash real clean

I have a FOUR phase wash cycle.

Phase 1. The FULL MONTY. (this is the one you want)
I do this about every three months.
Remove all Tupperware.
Wash bike using a good House Type Dishwashing Soap (this will remove wax) with a couple of different size brushes.
Engine, use an engine cleaner and brush what I can.
Wheels, use a “spray on wheel cleaner” on wheels and wash with some different size brushes.(I hate this part)
If you have an air compressor, (lucky you) blow off water.

Tupperware gets washed and when dry use Mequiar’s DEEP CRYSTAL Paint Cleaner.
I have two electric buffers. Med. and small. Use the buffers to apply the paint Cleaner. Then when dry hand buff with terry cloth towel.
Then DO IT AGAIN! You have to get off the oxidation for the paint to shine!
Rub you hand along the surface, it should feel smooth, if it doesn’t buff it again.

Now you have to polish the paint. Use Mequiar’s Polish. Apply it with the electric buffers. (be sure to wash the buffer pad applicator or have a second one)
Then when dry, hand buff with terry cloth towel.
Rub you hand along the surface, it should feel very smooth, if it doesn’t polish again.

Wax. Apply Mequiar’s Carnauba wax by hand. When dry hand buff off with terry cloth towel.
Wax it again and hand buff off. Then use the electric buffers with a terry cloth head.

Windshield. I use the same process as the Tupperware.

Wheels. I just use Mequiar’s all in one, Cleaner Wax on them. (I hate this part)

Bags and plastic. I use Back Magic; it is a vinyl, plastic shine and protectant.

Seat. Just wash it, I don’t use any agent. I don’t want to slide off.

PHASE 2. In between washing.
I use a California duster small size and clean off the bike. I will also use Mequiar’s Quik Delailer, Mist and Wipe off.

PHASE 3. When it’s dirty.
Wash with car wash soap. (so it don’t remove the wax)
I leave the Tupperware on for this and just wash what I can.
Then dry off and use the Quik detailer for water spots or use a cleaner wax.

PHASE 4.
When on the road and I can’t find a friend’s place to wash. I will have to use a car wash with power wash. 

That’s what I do.

Bazra
Aka: The Flash
So fast you can’t see me.

·
Registered
651 Posts
bazra said:
This might sound a bit odd, but I like the smell of Gunk Engine Brite. I recently cleaned the bottom of the Beemer's engine and the smell wafts up while waiting at stop lights. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Smells

Ahh the smell of warm Gunk , the smell of Castrol R on a warm spring morning , nice !

I like to keep the bike clean and tidy but would rather ride than clean . But whatever lights your candle Guys . Be as boring as heck if we were all the same.

Frank

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Bazra, do you really get enough oxidation in a well-waxed finish in 3 months to justify taking it down again? I've been waxing fancy things for quite a while and never saw the need to hit a finish that hard. Surely would like to see your bike, though. How about a pic in the sun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
that's alot of cleaing

I'm a firm believer in a keeping a bike clean but Bazra's cleaning schedule seems a little agressive to me. Of course, Vegas does get a bit dusty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
GJBushman said:
I'm a firm believer in a keeping a bike clean but Bazra's cleaning schedule seems a little agressive to me. Of course, Vegas does get a bit dusty.
I agree!

As a self appointed KRS valet, I clean our bikes regularly. I use car wash soap and a sponge with the hose (not much pressure). The key is getting the water off. Here I use my electric leaf blower and blow the water off the bikes, getting the water out of all the hard to wipe spots. I find the K bike pretty easy to clean. On the other hand the R bike with the exposed heads is harder. There I need to use a hard nylon brush to clean the cylinder fins. Just like brushing teeth.
One thing I like about winter riding is that there are a lot less bugs.
keep it clean, but ride hard - FlagGS

·
Registered
513 Posts
Shine

Billa, good point. I have no kids, no wife, no honey do list. A job I work at some times.

I ride all 12 months.
I put about 18,000 miles a year on.
When I am home I have to leave the bike outside with a cover on it.
It's a one car garage and my Girl friends Thunder Bird needs to stay in.

I travel a lot and the bike will be outside, I dont' bring a cover with me when I travel.
Plus I live in the South West. Lots of sun shine.

If the bike stayed in the garage and only got ridden on holidays it won't need too much cleaning.

CLEANING. Surface preparation is most important. The finish should be as smooth as glass.

POLISH. polishing will create a brilliant deep gloss.

WAX. Is for protection and a glossy shine.

I treat my car 02 Thunderbird the same way.

I like a shinny ride. At least for the first 50 miles of a trip.

It just depends how much you ride, how you store the bike, and how clean you like it to be. And what else you got to do.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
So fast you can't see me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bazra,
No excuses needed! IMHO nothing looks and feels better than a clean fast BMW motorcycle. Oh yeah I forgot there is one thing that looks and feels better. Never mind.

As for a one car garage, can't you fit the bike and T-bird in there together using the center stand? I have a one car garage with an Accord and two BMW motorcycles and six bicycles (five hanging from the ceiling) and I move all of them in and out all of the time.

Keep it clean and maybe we will see you riding somewhere in Northern AZ or Southern Utah. FlagGS

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Every three days (or maybe weeks)...

siclmn said:
Just how do you wash in every nook and cranny of the bike? I think that you would need some very special shaped brushes but I have never seen some for sale. What do you use to wash your bike?
Carnuba wax and a soft toothbrush. Meguiar's Yellow is good, PRO if you can find it. When the tupperware's off I clean, but I don't remove it just for that. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

46k at THC last April. Carnuba works.
[url="http://www.k-bikes.com/gallery/files/3/3/8/2/THC2005Flowers.JPG"][/url]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Flaggs. I suppose I could get the bike in with the car. But for sure not when the hard top is off the T Bird. It has to store in the garage.

I just looked at my maintenance Schedule and I didn't put too many miles on during this winter so the bike don't get the Full Monty since November 1. it will get it this week. Cause I start my USA tour the last week of Feb.

I do have a small problem. I had a get off in a turn in Cal. Nov. 20 and I need to sand and paint the side panel.
This what it looked like after the get off.

I have to get my semi tractor and trailer ready, so I may not get to paint the bike this week.

Bazra
aka;The Flash

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bazra,
My bike has a small scratch in same place as your lower scratch from a zero speed drop by the previous owner. What type of paint are you using? I found some toughup paint in a spray can that matches BMW paint code number but I have misplaced the link. I can try to find it later this week if you need it. Red is the toughest color since it starts fading the day it leaves the paint barn. I've told myself that I'll never have another red vehicle but I lie to myself like that all the time. Good luck.

--Jerry

·
Registered
513 Posts
Stepheji; Jerry That would be great. The paint I found is Dupli-color DSGM380W.
The spray cap looks right.
But your right it will not fade the same.

I will try now that the weather is warm
It needs a lot of prep. and I don't think I will have the time this week.

Maybe you can E the number to me at [email protected]

Thanks

The Flash

·
Registered
362 Posts
This tire brush works good for little nooks and crannies. You can buy it at Wal-Mart

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bike ... outside...:(

I never store my 2003 rs outside....and right now...due to snow and cold and windy conditions...it is currently pinned to the wall of my garage by my m-roadster...:)

Girl friends/wifes....do NOT need garage space.....:)

cheers...

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
My bike lives outside under a breathable canvas cover and I ride all year round.

Now a warm cosy garage might seem the right thing, but from years of experience with cages, a wet warm vehicle parked up in a garage raises humidity and corrosion happens faster than when kept cold in fresh air outside.

Yes it does seem strange, but try putting a temperature/humidity meter in your garage and see what happens an hour after parking your cage wet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a lot of Meguiar's stuff, including a number of their brushes, and they work well for me.

The only place I could find any pictures of them is on Autogeek.net, and they're towards the bottom of this brush page. Autogeek has pretty good prices on a lot of stuff, although the brushes I have came directly from Meguiar's when I attended one of the "Detail Days" a while back.

If I'm ready to do the ridiculously clean thing, I do take the Tupperware off, the rest of the time it's just a thorough job and and follow up with good wax. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
bazra said:
I have a FOUR phase wash cycle.

Phase 1. The FULL MONTY. (this is the one you want)
I do this about every three months.
Remove all Tupperware.
Wash bike using a good House Type Dishwashing Soap (this will remove wax) with a couple of different size brushes.
Wheels, use a “spray on wheel cleaner” on wheels and wash with some different size brushes.(I hate this part)
If you have an air compressor, (lucky you) blow off water.

Tupperware gets washed and when dry use Mequiar’s DEEP CRYSTAL Paint Cleaner.
I have two electric buffers. Med. and small. Use the buffers to apply the paint Cleaner. Then when dry hand buff with terry cloth towel.
Then DO IT AGAIN! You have to get off the oxidation for the paint to shine!
Rub you hand along the surface, it should feel smooth, if it doesn’t buff it again.

Now you have to polish the paint. Use Mequiar’s Polish. Apply it with the electric buffers. (be sure to wash the buffer pad applicator or have a second one)
Then when dry, hand buff with terry cloth towel.
Rub you hand along the surface, it should feel very smooth, if it doesn’t polish again.

Wax. Apply Mequiar’s Carnauba wax by hand. When dry hand buff off with terry cloth towel.
Wax it again and hand buff off. Then use the electric buffers with a terry cloth head.

Windshield. I use the same process as the Tupperware.

Wheels. I just use Mequiar’s all in one, Cleaner Wax on them. (I hate this part)

Bags and plastic. I use Back Magic; it is a vinyl, plastic shine and protectant.

Seat. Just wash it, I don’t use any agent. I don’t want to slide off.

PHASE 2. In between washing.
I use a California duster small size and clean off the bike. I will also use Mequiar’s Quik Delailer, Mist and Wipe off.

PHASE 3. When it’s dirty.
Wash with car wash soap. (so it don’t remove the wax)
I leave the Tupperware on for this and just wash what I can.
Then dry off and use the Quik detailer for water spots or use a cleaner wax.

PHASE 4.
When on the road and I can’t find a friend’s place to wash. I will have to use a car wash with power wash. 

That’s what I do.

Bazra
Aka: The Flash
So fast you can’t see me.
Wow you need to get a life or a Harley!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not going into a great bit of detail. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal 3 step system (cleaner, polish and wax). There's really so little surface area to be waxed, what do I care if each painted surface has to be done with three different treatments. I use 303 Protectant on plastic, and vinyl surfaces. It's modern day equivalent of armorall but much better. I use S100 engine Restorer if it's around the motor and subject to heat. A little silicone on any rubber grommets. I enjoy riding a fast good looking bike. Mine is the Orient Blue color which I believe is the fastest color. Engine work doesn't hurt no matter what the color is. Here's a couple of pictures of what she looks like today. Adios, 1200gt

Just Say Moe

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts