BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding from Fort Lauderdale to St Louis next week and am looking for some alternative routes. I would prefer no slab, but do want to get there quickly so I anticipate most of my time will be on the interstate - any ideas?

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
DebS said:
I'm riding from Fort Lauderdale to St Louis next week and am looking for some alternative routes. I would prefer no slab, but do want to get there quickly so I anticipate most of my time will be on the interstate - any ideas?
Howdy Deb, Dean,

Sound like a great trip...., but then any m/c trip is a great trip!

Do you have a GPS?

If you do, or can buy/borrow one, you can plot a few via points for the must see/do places. Then, you can toggle routing preferences between "least use of freeway" and "Fastest time" depending on your mood. When you take off on a back-road that looks interesting, or a local inhabitant points out a must see detour, the GPS will keep rerouting to get me back to the via point.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BillyOmaha said:
Howdy Deb, Dean,

Sound like a great trip...., but then any m/c trip is a great trip!

Do you have a GPS?

If you do, or can buy/borrow one, you can plot a few via points for the must see/do places. Then, you can toggle routing preferences between "least use of freeway" and "Fastest time" depending on your mood. When you take off on a back-road that looks interesting, or a local inhabitant points out a must see detour, the GPS will keep rerouting to get me back to the via point.

I guess that's what I'm looking for - tips on via points for Annabelle (that's my GPS's name, fits the British accent you know). What's worth seeing/riding in FL, GA, TN, and IL while en route to STL? I've never ridden or driven east of the Mississippi.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Route ideas

How much time do you have?

I'd slab up to Suches, GA and do the classic routes. Then head west to St. Louis by way of Kentucky, Land between the Lakes at the tip of Illinois. Then follow the scenic route to St. Louis by way of Grass Roots BMW. Grass Roots BMW is your last BMW shop except Kansas City until you get to the Rockies.

JON

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark_Cloud said:
How much time do you have?

I'd slab up to Suches, GA and do the classic routes. Then head west to St. Louis by way of Kentucky, Land between the Lakes at the tip of Illinois. Then follow the scenic route to St. Louis by way of Grass Roots BMW. Grass Roots BMW is your last BMW shop except Kansas City until you get to the Rockies.

JON
Ok, I found Suches on the map - go where from there? We have about a day to spare, so guide me, O Great One! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Deb,check this out on your map,leave Georgia an ride to Ducktown Tenn.Pick up 64/74 west to Cleveland,then 60 N/W to 27N,to 92N/W,take 92 to 90 west then to Glasgow,Ky.Pick up 68W to Paducah,Ky

If you think you have more time run 27 north to 150W to Danville,KY ( a beautiful town ) Pick up 127N to 62W and run 62W to Paducah. If you take 62 there is a great Granny cooking type resturant in Greenville,Ky,can't remember the name but its on the west side of Greenville on Hwy62. We love this road and the resturant.

E-mailing Jeff is a good idea also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stopping Point - Kentucky

Deb:

On your trip to St. Louis. I found a great place to stay in Brandenburg, Kentucky (south of Louisville). It is an old grist mill (a lot like a Bed & Breakfast) that was built in 1821. They serve dinner, so you do not have to worry about finding somewhere to eat (and drink) after parking the bike. Their website is http://%3Cfont%20size=%22-1%22%3E%3Cfont%20color=%22#008000%22%3Ewww.doeruninn.comwww.doeruninn.com, phone number 270.422.2982.

Also, check the city of Rugby, KY (I didn't make it there on the last trip, (it looks interesting when you goggle it), may provide you with an alternative back road route off-the freeway. It is located northwest of Knoxsville on Route 53.

Have a great trip,

Randy

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions - some great ideas here! Picked up two bikes near Fort Lauderdale, then due to unforseen delays, we weren't able to leave FLL when we had originally planned and lost a day and a half of travel and had to pretty much slab it to STL. All was not lost, however, we did make it to Deal's Gap, rode the Dragon, etc., what a great bunch of roads! Nice and HOT in Atlanta - 100 deg. and 100% humidity - whew. We had to leave the bikes in STL and fly home to get back to work, my daughter and I will fly back out tomorrow or the next day for the fun FUN trip from STL to DEN. Nothing says whoopee, this is fun like riding I-70 through Kansas and eastern CO! Ok, maybe 285 in the TX panhandle...<smile>

I think everyone thinks the drivers in their state are the stupidest - I used to, until riding in FL. Holy cow, you Floridian riders win the stupid driver contest hands down! People reading books while they're driving, while the wife is in the pass. seat - why don't you read and she drives, or she reads aloud.... ???? Sheesh.

Again, thanks guys for the great advice. See you on the road!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts