BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a decision point for those considering these 3 bikes.

Anyone have the information on all 3?

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'll bet the BMW beats the other two out . . . The FJR I, while not having final numbs is near 600 lbs from what I can gather; Hp likely to be in the 145 range. Other than that, maybe someone else. But, seems thats too narrow a criterion to evaluate those three bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tank Cam says it all about FJR......

jpalamaro said:
I'll bet the BMW beats the other two out . . . The FJR I, while not having final numbs is near 600 lbs from what I can gather; Hp likely to be in the 145 range. Other than that, maybe someone else. But, seems thats too narrow a criterion to evaluate those three bikes.
CHeck this out and I'll think you see weight has very little effect on the FJR's handling and performance...

My morning ride to work.......

http://tinyurl.com/dgcu6

If the 06GT is noticeably faster and better handling.....I want one...

·
Registered
368 Posts
downn2 said:
CHeck this out and I'll think you see weight has very little effect on the FJR's handling and performance...

Obviously brain mass wasn't a factor in the weight of the bike.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
DOWNN2 is that you on the bike? Is that your video? If so you are one crazy rider!!! I couldn't even watch the whole thing as I was in knots wondering if the rider was FC? The one where the rider squeezed to the left of the tandem bus in what appeared to be about 2-feet was about all I could take. TELL ME IT WASN'T YOU!!! If it was, hell, any bike will do!

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Opinion.....

Faust said:
downn2 said:

Obviously brain mass wasn't a factor in the weight of the bike.
I am known as a "nut case" sometimes on my bike. If you are in fact the rider from this video, your an asshole. Why subject the SAFETY of other people when you want to show off?. Do it on a track, or, somewhere out in the country. If I saw you coming up on me in this manner/fashion, I'd CUT YOU OFF. If I had a cage, I would certainly pull in front of you. Sorry. Then call your plate in to smokey.

·
Registered
910 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
Faust said:
I am known as a "nut case" sometimes on my bike. If you are in fact the rider from this video, your an asshole. Why subject the SAFETY of other people when you want to show off?. Do it on a track, or, somewhere out in the country. If I saw you coming up on me in this manner/fashion, I'd CUT YOU OFF. If I had a cage, I would certainly pull in front of you. Sorry. Then call your plate in to smokey.
Hear 'ya. For me, wild and crazy is blipping the throttle on the K-S. <g> And speaking of that (bliping the throttle), some of you guys thinking of the FJR, that clip was interesting from a, sort-of, testride perspective; the sound that bike made was like a dentist drill as compared with the F-1 (and assume new GT) like baratone rumble of the K-S.

And, did you notice that everytime the FJR got a little throttle, the front end skyed, almost wheelie like - maybe even when you don't want or need that effect - like your late and going to work.

By the way, speaking of going to work, that dude has one hell of a commute. Judging from the Euro plates on the surrounding vehicles, it appears his commute is all the way from Texas to Barecelona!! (liked the palm trees in the video)

Mostly what this bike did in the video could be "accomplished" on an F-650; it being a much better "city" bike.

Miles

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
[Mostly what this bike did in the video could be "accomplished" on an F-650; it being a much better "city" bike. ]

Gee whiz Miles . . . talk about cutting to the core! F-650! heh heh

·
Banned
52 Posts
Larry said:
This may be a decision point for those considering these 3 bikes.

Anyone have the information on all 3?
I think that there is more to a bike than just HP/Weight ratio. If you are a Yammi guy go get one. If you like something different OTOH ...

Had too many bikes in the past, too many of them were just COTS, nothing really special, why do you think I'm still riding that ole gurl? 'cause she IS special 95k and some change going strong.

Haven't see too many hoyamisukuda you can get on after more than 6 years and they feel as good as on the first day. Not even girlfriends! LOL.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Old Video..... what part of Paris do you live?

·
Registered
16 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
Faust said:
If I saw you coming up on me in this manner/fashion, I'd CUT YOU OFF. If I had a cage, I would certainly pull in front of you. Sorry. Then call your plate in to smokey.
A republican huh? I thought you neoconservatives never ventured outside your Lexuses. Maybe you should consider becoming a constable, that way you'll get your very own radar gun...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Honda ST1300 @ 0.432 for HP/KG

At a claimed 624 pounds dry (637 for the ABS model), Honda claims 125 horsepower at the crank at 8,000 rpm, with 85 pound feet of torque at 6,000 rpm.

From Motorcycle Daily Web Site

The K12GT thus has 24% more HP/KG than the ST. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
2003 FJR @ 0.612 Hp/kg

2003 FJR 1300
145 hp @ 8500 rpm
93 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 6000 rpm
dry weight, no bags, non abs 522 lbs/237 kg

From the UK FJR web site.

The FJR has 13.5% more HP/KG than the K12GT

And 41.7% more than the Honda ST1300.:confused:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Larry said:
2003 FJR 1300
145 hp @ 8500 rpm
93 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 6000 rpm
dry weight, no bags, non abs 522 lbs/237 kg

From the UK FJR web site.

The FJR has 13.5% more HP/KG than the K12GT

And 41.7% more than the Honda ST1300.:confused:
Actually the 2006 FJR has a dry weight of 268kg (589 lbs). See the following link:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=580&section=td&group=M

The new GT has a wet weight of 282 kg (according to spec thread in this section). I would guess the dry weight would be similar to the FJR but the HP exeeds the FJR.

New GT
152 HP at 9500 rpm

FJR
145 HP http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/04_05_FJR1300/

So, not only does the FJR NOT have 13.5% more hp/kg...it has LESS hp/kg than the new GT.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2006 FJR1300 @ 0.495 hp/kg....

sincGT said:
Actually the 2006 FJR has a dry weight of 268kg (589 lbs). See the following link:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=580&section=td&group=M

The new GT has a wet weight of 282 kg (according to spec thread in this section). I would guess the dry weight would be similar to the FJR but the HP exeeds the FJR.

New GT
152 HP at 9500 rpm

FJR
145 HP http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/04_05_FJR1300/

So, not only does the FJR NOT have 13.5% more hp/kg...it has LESS hp/kg than the new GT.
268 kg. dry; 145 hp.; Fuel Capacity 25 liters (=25,000 ml =~ 25,000 gm = 25 kg); wet weight of greater than 293 kg (non ABS?, non paddle transmission?).

The K12GT then has at least 8.9% more HP/KG than the FJR1300. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
??.........

downn2 said:
1200GTosprey said:
A republican huh? I thought you neoconservatives never ventured outside your Lexuses. Maybe you should consider becoming a constable, that way you'll get your very own radar gun...
Sorry, not a Republican, far from it. Don't have a Lexus, drive a pick-up that I have increased the HP up 50-60 more (*******). Just so you know, my bike hits 120 (mph) every time it leaves it's little house. But, that is out on an open highway, or wide open country where I won't kill anyone but myself, not some kid on a bicycle, or someone's Grandma.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motorcycle Consumer News lists the FJR at 0.417 hp/kg.

This puts the K12GT at 29.3% more hp/kg than the FJR.

Can this be right??

·
Registered
106 Posts
video clip

I seriouly doubt that was an FJR in the clip (will have to check Yams web-site for a look at the dials); also noticably absent from discussion is Duc ST3...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts